ChrisJM981

Previous occupant's mail

I keep receiving mail for people that do not live at my address. Some is for the previous owners, previous tenant, and today I got a violation notice from NYC to a name I haven't seen before. This one was slightly different, as it had PVT at the end of it. Example:

Joe Smith

25 Smith Hill Ave PVT

Randolph, NJ 07869

Any idea what that means, or how I can stop people from using my address or get it corrected? Can I go to the DMV? I don't want the authorities kicking in my door looking for these people.

Edit: The other piece of mail that concerned me was a license renewal for a different person than the violation.

I get mail here on a daily basis from the last 2-3 families that never bothered to change their address.  Post office could care less...  so now we just set them aside in a pile outside for the mail carrier to take back.  It's annoying as F*CK.

Anything not with your name on it, write "Not at Address, Return to Sender" and mail it back to the sender. I too would be concerned about license renewals and violation notices coming to my address. Maybe send a certified letter to those agencies, request they look into it and provide you with a response.

I don't care about the junk mail. It goes in the recycle bin. I guess I'm concerned with some sort of fraud that winds up involving me. Am I overreacting?

Dont worry about kick on the door. It could happen anytime to any of us :-). 

On the other mail (the license renewal, violation notices etc), just write something like "Not resident, return to sender" and have the mail guys pick it up for return.

Best case, the sender pays attention to returning mail and updates their records.  Its PIA, but better than throwing or keeping the mail. 

I wouldnt waste time going to DMV, they are clueless as fuck. 

2 years ago got a letter from usps about a wallet found in newark and had a DL in it with our address an person with a latino name that we didn't know. We have lived at that address for 40years with no other people except us. reported it to police, usps and went to dmv and reported them. Police made a report said they couldn't do much. DMV said they couldn't do anything cause anyone can go online and change address to any one they chose. So basically nothing happened.

You are lucky you even get mail here in Randolph.   I can't tell you the number of Tuesdays after holiday Monday's when I get no mail - I think those may be the days the letter carrier works from home :)  I get stuff all the time for #12 of several other streets in both Randolph and Dover.  I long ago stopped placing those items back in the mail box with a note.  I now call the postmaster every time it happens and demand they send someone out to ring my bell and ask for the items.  Figure if I keep making them do extra work maybe something will be done to improve it.  They actually did fire one carrier about a year ago after we all started complaining on the street how bad things were.  I could go on and on, but mail in this town SUCKS!

You are lucky you even get mail here in Randolph. I can't tell you the number of Tuesdays after holiday Monday's when I get no mail - I think those may be the days the letter carrier works from home :) I get stuff all the time for #12 of several other streets in both Randolph and Dover. I long ago stopped placing those items back in the mail box with a note. I now call the postmaster every time it happens and demand they send someone out to ring my bell and ask for the items. Figure if I keep making them do extra work maybe something will be done to improve it. They actually did fire one carrier about a year ago after we all started complaining on the street how bad things were. I could go on and on, but mail in this town SUCKS!

At least the diner is good!

• Like 1

I think they canned the guy that used to do my route. He would deliver my mail, pull past my driveway under the big shady tree, and hang out for a while (dead end). I changed shifts and would leave for work around the time he was getting there. As soon as he'd see me he'd take off. I got mail for a street number that doesn't exist. That one had me scratching my head.

Back when I lived in an apartment, I won the boobie prize. I got a unit that was receiving mail and packages from different far away lands to people not on any of the prior leases according to the rental office, plus one of the prior renters skipped out on a lot of bills. Verizon also recycled a phone number that either belonged to, or was co-opted by a prolific scammer.  The police will do nothing, because there is nothing they are really legally entitled to do for you. Even if it is some kind of fraud, it usually requires an aggrieved party to press charges, and you aren't one of them.  The post office will do nothing, or they will stop all mail coming to your address and make yo come pick up everything you wanted, plus all the stuff you didn't want. 

In fact, the only entity to do ANYTHING about any of it was comcast. The scammer had used my phone number when setting up their cable. I started getting odd stuff on my bill, and called them they wouldn't disclose the address using my number, but they did disconnect their service. I laughed at the mortgage company that didn't believe me when I told them they shouldn't lend them money, and then called up trying to get paid 6 months later. 

Probably nothing to worry about.  I'm not sure how hijacking your address on a fraudulently gotten credit card will matter, provided it's not in your name.  I think it takes some effort to do things like put a lien on your house.  But if you have a lot more of this stuff with your address, it wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on your credit report and also see if there's a no cost way to do a title search on your property.  If you refi'ed recently, then you're probably good to go.

I keep receiving mail for people that do not live at my address. Some is for the previous owners, previous tenant, and today I got a violation notice from NYC to a name I haven't seen before. This one was slightly different, as it had PVT at the end of it. Example:

Joe Smith

25 Smith Hill Ave PVT

Randolph, NJ 07869

Any idea what that means, or how I can stop people from using my address or get it corrected? Can I go to the DMV? I don't want the authorities kicking in my door looking for these people.

Edit: The other piece of mail that concerned me was a license renewal for a different person than the violation.

I'd file a report. It's doubtful anything will come of it, but should there be a problem you'll have proof that you brought it to the attention of law enforcement.

Joe Smith

25 Smith Hill Ave PVT

Randolph, NJ 07869

I don't think there's much you can do.  Everytime I've written "no longer at this address" on pieces of mail, it doesn't seem to matter. THey still get delivered to me. And, in some cases, even "re-delivered." They don't bother to "return to sender" anymore, unless there's something specific forcing them to do it.  I'm trying, for example,. to rid myself of all the SPAM and junk mail I get in the name of my deceased Godmother, who's Estate I administer. I made sure I got a separate PO box for the Estate mail in Florida (she actually lived in Washignton DC) so it would never be confused with my own.  It's not even in the town In which I currently live. Sure enough, the PO in Washington DC set up a forwarding to my PO Box in FL, and all of the junk mail followed shortly thereafter.  When the Estate is closed, I'll keep that PO box open for a few months thereafter, but I'll have to close that box eventually. They will insist on a new forwarding address for that spam/Junk Mail, but I won't give them one, even if it means I forfeit the $2.00 deposit on the keys.

I'll be the next owner of that box will get a ton of my Godmother's junk mail! :facepalm:

If you've ever been the victim of identity fraud ANYTHING associated with your name or address that's not you makes you nervous.

When cold calls come in to us that say "we want to help you with your credit card debt". Even though we don't have any we always follow up "how much debt are you seeing for me?" "From what company's do I have cards?"