Sign in to follow this  
Shawnmoore81

Alligator snapper

We have lots of them in Jersey, even though many sources suggest their range ends further south.

I had a close encounter with one in Medford not quite that big but close. It lives in a series of small lakes off either Stokes or Tuckerton, I forget the name. It's the road that goes through town at 209 and has the sporting goods store on it further down. It's near the sporting goods store, you could probably ask them. He was named "Charlie" in the 1930s (the turtle) because he was so big bag then.

He's awesome.  Always amazes me how old they can live.  There's a similar monster...  little bit smaller that lives at Rutgers Golf Course.  Scared the living shit out of me.  Colonial Park also has decent sized one, aprox half the size. Who enjoys screwing with your bait. 

I lived in Hamilton (Trenton) next to a cliff. The snappers and a few alligator snappers would climb the cliff to lay eggs on our property. Which must have been a huge bitch, because it was quite a cliff. My neighbor was a homo and for some reason was afraid of them, I guess he was not familiar with animals and such. He would call me because he was afraid to leave his house and asked me to move them. I would tell him just leave them alone, all they want to do is lay eggs and they won't do anything more than hiss at you unless you mess with them. But he was really afraid and I would have to move the turtle so he could get out of his house. One time one climbed up on his front stoop for whatever reason and he nearly had a heart attack when he opened the door. They were nice size but none larger than maybe 2' long that I saw.

But Mr. Charlie in Medford was YUUGE.