Howard

Sandyhook parents suit against gun manufacturer - decided

From the language, this suit was going to be used as springboard to go after other gun manufacturer too. 

Although its a win for now, they are appealing and hoping this election results and subsequent SCOTUS appointments will be favorable to go after all gun manufacturers, distributors, FFLs etc. 

-------------

"Now it wasn't meant to be designed to kill innocent civilians, but the weapon doesn't know that," said Josh Koskoff, a lawyer representing the Sandy Hook victims before the judge heard arguments in June. "And so arming civilians with a weapon whose specific use is to kill people — when gun companies know that people kill people — is negligent."

----------

Did anyone really think that was going to go through? Totally frivolous lawsuit - rooted in emotion, not logic. It is disgusting, however, that it got as far as it did and wasn't immediately tossed out as it should have been.  

• Like 1

Did anyone really think that was going to go through? Totally frivolous lawsuit - rooted in emotion, not logic. It is disgusting, however, that it got as far as it did and wasn't immediately tossed out as it should have been.  

They are bringing strategy from the "Tobacco" book. They know they got all the time (there isnt a real risk to society) and money, they will keep at it. They are hoping at some point someone will make a deal.

Imagine what would have happened had this been in NJ. 

While it should never have been allowed, with our liberal courts that now make law rather than make decisions nothing is off limits it seems like. :(

They're appealing, as one might expect, to their state's supreme court:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/15/health/sandy-hook-families-appeal-to-connecticut-supreme-court/index.html

It's a weak case... I expect it will get bounced again.

Let's hope so. But, somehow I do not the same faith you do.  I feel it may gain traction at the state level, and again will go to the federal court before dismissal.

Let it gain traction so SCOTUS can settle it for once and for all. I think the chances were good even with eight SCJs that Remington would have won. With a full nine the outlook for a decision in Remington's favor is excellent. 

Let it gain traction so SCOTUS can settle it for once and for all. I think the chances were good even with eight SCJs that Remington would have won. With a full nine the outlook for a decision in Remington's favor is excellent. 

I agree. After the next appointment is made, going to the supreme court would be the best thing in the world. The desicion will set a president for anything in the future

I agree. After the next appointment is made, going to the supreme court would be the best thing in the world. The desicion will set a president for anything in the future

Maybe... maybe not.  I'd actually like to see one additional conservative appointment after Scalia is replaced.  Remember that Kennedy and even Roberts can be a little flaky when it comes to real conservative choices. Very risky.  We need that 6-3 majority, just to be sure.