ParkinNJ

Barrel Pinning Question

Hello everyone,

New member to the forum and I hope this is the correct place to post this question.  Apologies in advance for the long post.

I recently purchased a VEPR (see attached pic) and had a local NJ FFL / gunsmith pin the muzzle brake to the barrel.  After inspecting the rifle, I noticed there is a hole drilled through the barrel wall into the bore where the barrel is pinned. The pin doesn't protrude into the barrel but there is a noticeable hole inside the barrel.  The FFL indicated that this shouldn't affect the firearm but I'm not so sure.  I've had barrels pinned from other gunsmiths and the drilling only went into the barrel and not through the barrel into the bore.

Admittedly, I'm no gunsmith so I'm looking to the collective wisdom of the forum on whether this type of pinning is ok.

Thanks!

post-8780-0-43315000-1476576775_thumb.jpg

First, beautiful wood.

You are right and they should not have drilled more than a dimple to install the pin. If you are concerned how the rifle will work, the hole will not affect the function at all. Remember that there is another open hole drilled for the gas port.

Thanks Ian ... I wasn't sure if the hole that cut through the rifling would affect the function or accuracy.  Admittedly, I haven't shot the rifle yet to confirm. Just wasn't sure if it would be ok to shoot. 

First, beautiful wood.

You are right and they should not have drilled more than a dimple to install the pin. If you are concerned how the rifle will work, the hole will not affect the function at all. Remember that there is another open hole drilled for the gas port.

True. I have no idea whether or not the hole would affect accuracy since I haven't shot it. As I mentioned, I'm not sure if it would affect the function or accuracy.  My question was whether or not this method of pinning was ok.  Based on the response thus far, I presume the preferred method is to drill into but not through the barrel.

If you haven't shot it prior, how would you know if the accuracy was compromised?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

IMHO, only a dimple is needed and a hole in the barrel is a result of a poor job to say the least!

Please let us know who did the work so we won't also be victims. As for the accuracy compromise, I will leave that question to those here who know more than me.

• Like 1

True. I have no idea whether or not the hole would affect accuracy since I haven't shot it. As I mentioned, I'm not sure if it would affect the function or accuracy. My question was whether or not this method of pinning was ok. Based on the response thus far, I presume the preferred method is to drill into but not through the barrel.

Probably a booboo by the dealer. Mistakes happen.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Thanks to everyone who responded ... I'm somewhat conflicted on this pinning technique since I haven't encountered it before.  I agree that mistakes can happen.  If this technique is acceptable practice, I don't want to make waves and slander a vendor unnecessarily (especially since I just joined the forum).  However, I do get the sense that this technique is not the norm so I plan on going back to the FFL / gunsmith and ask about the pinning.

I doubt it would affect accuracy since (as another member pointed out) the barrel would have a hole for the gas.

This would be a mistake i doubt they wanted to penetrate the barrel but mistakes can happen. They might not even know.

What did the dealer say when you asked him?

The wood on that gun is beautiful.

Just hope the pin doesn't eventually dislodge and slide through and lodge itself like a rod blocking the muzzle. I'd send it back. If he messed up that bad and he didn't use a tight roll pin and proper weld, well, boom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The dealer said he'll ask the gunsmith to take a look at the pinning to ensure the pin doesn't protrude through the barrel and there's no burrs left by the hole.  Admittedly, I'm somewhat bummed this happened.

I doubt it would affect accuracy since (as another member pointed out) the barrel would have a hole for the gas.

This would be a mistake i doubt they wanted to penetrate the barrel but mistakes can happen. They might not even know.

What did the dealer say when you asked him?

The wood on that gun is beautiful.

If the pin should move, I presume the pin would blow out of the muzzle brake from the gas pressure and hopefully not into the barrel.  Again, I'm no gunsmith so I could have this all wrong. 

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and insights!

Just hope the pin doesn't eventually dislodge and slide through and lodge itself like a rod blocking the muzzle. I'd send it back. If he messed up that bad and he didn't use a tight roll pin and proper weld, well, boom.

Correct the gas pressure would blow the pin out which is something u can Easily see once it happens

A good weld would solve that issue

What happens if the bullet hits the pin before the gas blows it out if it even does?