Bully

Deer Down! First One... Ever

Funny thing is, I was going to skip hunting the other night. I came off a bad experience on a guided hunt up-state and that plus how warm it is PLUS I have a new toy to pick up made me seriously consider not going. Boy am I glad I didn't listen to me. 

Got to the stand around 1:30. I had a time limit, I was going to bail at 6:15 so I would have enough light to walk out in. Around 6 I heard something behind me. It was nothing. But when I turned around there he was. Snuck up on me. I definitely had buck fever as I rushed the shot a bit but I must have nicked his femoral equivalent because when I found him 35 minutes later it was all done. Good, bright red trail. 

Third year hunting. First deer down. Certainly worth the wait. 

post-4086-0-01605800-1476835391_thumb.jpg

post-4086-0-82731400-1476835414_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Y'all.  

Smitty...  Why no bow hunting for you?  Shoot me a PM if that's easier.  Sorry to hear you're out for now.

C

I hunted the same 70 acres for 36 years. Knew it well. I started scouting in August and couldn't wait for opening day. As soon as the weather started to get cooler I'd get that feeling only hunters get.  Kinda took the air out of my sails when I lost that property. That and now I don't have the stamina lets just say, to be the hunter I feel you should be. If I was to shoot a deer, I would have to just wound it and lasso it so I could make it walk back to the truck.  :hunter:  

• Like 1

Very similar thing happened to me years ago while bowhunting. I pulled the shot and saw the arrow hit high and back of the vital area. I felt a deep sinking feeling in my gut as the buck took a few bounds. About 3 seconds later, it basically crashed to the ground, stone dead. Arrow hit the aortic artery (luckily). You might have done the same - the femoral artery is all the way back.

Congrats on your first!

• Like 1

Well kid Congrats!!!!!!!!

I know the quest you've been on and the work you've put in to harvest that deer.

I know your a shooter and have seen what you can do.

Keep developing your woods lore and you'll be eating venison every winter.

Nice animal!

OS

• Like 1

Very similar thing happened to me years ago while bowhunting. I pulled the shot and saw the arrow hit high and back of the vital area. I felt a deep sinking feeling in my gut as the buck took a few bounds. About 3 seconds later, it basically crashed to the ground, stone dead. Arrow hit the aortic artery (luckily). You might have done the same - the femoral artery is all the way back.

Congrats on your first!

Yeah...  It was pretty far back.  Went thru the rear leg.  So, femoral is my guess.  I'm just glad it was pretty quick.

That artery runs down the spine. I've killed a deer that way before, by accident once too. Took me a while to figure out how it died. I was inspecting all the vital organs, and nothing was touched. But there was more blood then I've ever seen inside a deer when I gut it.

Can you post a little better pics of the deer

Unfortunately no.  I took that in the back of my truck then carted it to the butcher.  

I can take a picture of the food that he provides if that helps...   :maninlove:

Unfortunately no. I took that in the back of my truck then carted it to the butcher.

I can take a picture of the food that he provides if that helps... :maninlove:

You should. It's pretty amazing the amount of meat you get from harvesting one deer.

Have a great time cooking. I really enjoy the venison chilli I made . Froze quite a bit up in individual one gallon freezer bags. Take one out, run under hot water to defrost a little, throw in micowave and enjoy a few minutes later!

You tube. If your hunting NJ you'll most likely have a signal and can actually follow along. I got lucky and a friend was on his way to pick something up from me and was able to help me thru it.

Good luck if you head out. It's a hoot. Just DO MOT TAKE A BAD SHOT. I did and got lucky. It will not happen again.

I just took my hunter ed course this week. I'm interested in hunting, but hesitant on field dressing. Is there a course you can take?

Congrats to the OP, BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it's called hunt with someone that's done it before. Easiest way is to watch someone else do it in front of you while explaining it. But it's really simple actually if you understand basic anatomy. It's nice to get the tips and tricks of an experienced hunter though. Personally I like to just barely open the cavity with a really small knife or a gut hook so you don't accidentally cut into the digestive tract. From the pelvic bone to the bottom of the rib cage. Then I reach in pull out everything in one shot by hand. The only thing I need to cut inside is the diaphragm to get the vital organs out. And I usually reach all the way up and rip out the esophagus with my hands as well. Then I filp the deer over and get all the blood out of the now empty cavity. Last thing I do is remove the anal track and the bladder without puncturing either. And I break the pelvic bone to do that, very carefully with my knife and a rock on the back of the blade. Cut around the asshole, and pull it all out in one piece turds and all. Done.
  • Like 1