EWC88

Ants ants ANTS!

Out of no where I am getting a boat load of ants now in my house, which I am not a fan of.

Looking at either exterminator or something I can spray. If you recommend a certain exterminator please list, or if you are a DIYer and recommend a product you always use please list that!

What kind of ants? That is key. Carpenter ants are a special project. Little brown ants are less so. There are specific products for specific infestations.

The key is you want to bait the ants. That is, get them to feed on a slow acting poison that the workers carry back to the nest and feed to the queen. When the queen dies the colony dies.

Google control of your specific ant to find the right products. (Not TAT or other baits at grocery stores. Professional baits.) For carpenter ants I use Maxforce gel and Advance dry bait. They are the two types of food that carpenter ants eat depending on the time of year and their mode.

Here's a site I have purchase from. Good luck. You must be rapid and persistent.

Out of no where I am getting a boat load of ants now in my house, which I am not a fan of.

Looking at either exterminator or something I can spray. If you recommend a certain exterminator please list, or if you are a DIYer and recommend a product you always use please list that!

try giving ABELL PEST CONTROL  a shout. 856-505-1500. tell them john from the repair shop told ya to call.

I'll have to do some google searches on types of ants, I am no bug expert so my answer to "what kind of ant" is going be "small and black" VERY scientific eh? Lol

Check the website I listed, and others. Many of the vendors provide pictures and comprehensive descriptions of the various types to educate you. Believe me I was no expert when I started!

Terro Liquid Ant Baits..........Problem solved!  You won't believe how well it works!

I've tried them all.  Those Terro Liquid baits actually work.      I swear I saw a troop of ants carry off one of those other baits, come back and ask for more.

Terro. Let them eat it and let them take back to queen. You will see an increase in activity as they feed.

Or you can do your own home remedy with sugar and borax. Google it.

Ants are like men... they want food and "tail". If/when the queen dies... they go elsewhere. Lol.

Had problem couple years ago at previous residence with carpenter ants, nothing helped.  My neighbor came over and sprayed Termidor, no more problem with any bugs.  Its toxic stuff, but it worked. 

It's 'so toxic' that they use a formulation of that same chemical (fipronil) many many many times stronger in Frontline...

Had problem couple years ago at previous residence with carpenter ants, nothing helped.  My neighbor came over and sprayed Termidor, no more problem with any bugs.  Its toxic stuff, but it worked. 

That's what I use on the house perimeter every spring, and again during the summer if we're attacked. Very effective. But I don't stop there.

I have personally seen carpenter ants eat Maxforce gel I put out when under seige, and carry off Advance dry bait, and then the next day discovered anywhere from 50 to several hundred ant carcasses at the point of entry. And never saw them again that season.

I also scatter Advance dry bait around the house perimeter every spring as a prophylactic. If the carpenter ants find that before they find the house, they might kill the queen and the nest in the woods before they get on the move.

• Like 1

When I have had ants I have always just sprinkled a little DE (used in pool filters) and they quickly all die.  The super fine powder is actually very sharp and when they eat it the edges tears their insides out.

• Like 1

Bayer Advanced Ant liquid outside and Ortho home defense liquid inside.  I spray the yard in the spring when it remains rain free for two days,  Keeps them down all summer.  Spray under baseboards and around heating pipes and door entrances inside.  Once it drys they claim safe for pets, but who knows.  Once they get in the house, esp, the little brown ones we call "pissmires", it's tough to get rid of them,  Got to find the nest.  Remember ants have winged seasons and you can get them even if you bomb everything.  Just another never ending process of 'money pit' ownership.   I live in the woods and it's a bitch to keep in front of them,

+1 for Termidor. There is a cheaper version you can get on Amazon called Taurus with the same concentration of fipronil.

Tried every ant bait out there for the little brown house ants with no effect. They loved Terro baits but I think the only ants that died were the ones that drowned in the bait stations.

Sprayed around the foundation with Taurus one time and the ants were gone in a few days.

Peppermint, yes peppermint, it kills them instantly and keeps them away. It's not cheap but effective, mix a few ounce of peppermint oil with 16 ounces of water and put it in a spray bottle, and watch them dye as you spray them. You can get it online or at Wegmen's.

https://www.amazon.com/Talstar-Multi-Control-Insecticide-ounce/dp/B00409QKRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476996670&sr=8-1&keywords=talstar

Same stuff the pros use. I spray every 3 months around windows and foundation. I used to have a pretty bad ant colony in my house eating the dog food but they're all gone now.

Terro is the most effective and fun for sure. All the insecticides recommended above will kill them after being exposed for a while but the colony will survive!

This means the little scouts will keep following the chem trails left behind by their fallen brethren! The Terro is fun since they will all come after some!

Watch the amazing number of ants come  for it and take it back to feed the sweet nectar to their queen. Within about a day, the whole colony will be dead.........No more ants!

I have NEVER found a faster and more effective product!

Diatomaceous earth

65fa1bd0d5374c5cb44d8a8593014305.jpg

You have to be very careful not to breath this stuff in, it is not poisonous but the particles are so fine, consistency of powdered sugar, they can play havoc on your lungs. I used to use diatomaceous earth (which is really the skeletons of microscopic organisms)  in an aquarium filter to clear algae blooms and it can damage your lungs if breathed in. 

• Like 1

You have to be very careful not to breath this stuff in, it is not poisonous but the particles are so fine, consistency of powdered sugar, they can play havoc on your lungs. I used to use diatomaceous earth (which is really the skeletons of microscopic organisms) in an aquarium filter to clear algae blooms and it can damage your lungs if breathed in.

I suck soot out of boilers and furnaces all day long. And if I'm not doing that I'm ripping out an old unit covered in asbestos. Or using PVC glue and primer all day. I'm already screwed, and am going to die young. But when I use it I usually let the bag touch the ground and just walk the entire perimeter of my foundation, making a moat. I try not to make It into a dust storm.

I suck soot out of boilers and furnaces all day long. And if I'm not doing that I'm ripping out an old unit covered in asbestos. Or using PVC glue and primer all day. I'm already screwed, and am going to die young. But when I use it I usually let the bag touch the ground and just walk the entire perimeter of my foundation, making a moat. I try not to make It into a dust storm.

It will only hurt you in California....
  • Like 1