panteramatt

whatcha all cooking for football?

For this upcoming weekend's Super Bowl, I am making chili for us.  As I did last year and which has been a tradition for us for the past 10+ years, chili is a Super Bowl tradition, which in turn is complimented with some nice regional craft beer (for me) and a Spanish Rioja for my wife.  I am going to make it today, Friday, since we all know that chili tastes much better after 1-2 days in the refrigerator where the various flavors really do comingle and explode in a much richer tasting meal.  If I feel really industrious, I may even attempt to make Displaced Texan’s jalapeno corn bread as an accompaniment.

My wife and I enjoy cooking approaches that take traditional tried and true recipes that have proven to be successful, but then may add our own twist or deviate slightly from the script, all in the name of curiosity and culinary exploration.  Taste buds are all different so there really is no absolute right or wrong way to make anything, as long as you enjoy the results.

So as in the past we are going to start with a different award-winning chili recipe this year and will make some personal preference modifications.  For this year's version I am going to take as a starting point the recipe from Chuck Harber, using his 2016 California Road Chili.  I have all the necessary ingredients for his recipe, including the mild and hot New Mexico Chili Powders.

But as mentioned, I will make a number of substitutions and additions.  I usually like to start off cooking 6-7 slices of thick cut smoked bacon in the pot for added flavor, using the crispy bacon as a final garnish.  I will substitute De Arbol chile powder for the recipe’s called for California mild powder.  Also, rather than use 3 lbs of cubed beef, I am using 1 ½ lbs of 2” squared grass fed organic beef chuck stew meat AND 1 ½ lbs of USDA Prime 10% lean ground beef, to give the desired flavor and texture.  Instead of 16 oz of tomato paste and sauce I will substitute certified Italian San Marzano peeled tomatoes, as well as chop some fresh garlic cloves.  Another substitution will be instead of using chicken broth, I will pour into the pot an 11 oz bottle of Westmalle Belgian Trapist Ale for its unique and distinct accent.  Finally, and I know for some it is sacrilegious, I may or may not add some black beans and/or dark kidney beans to this chili, (TBD).

FYI, Chuck Harber was the 2016 winner of the International Chili Society's (ICS), Annual World's Championship Chili Cookoff Contest. Since 1967, ICS has been sanctioning nationwide chili cook-offs all year long, which raise money for charities and produce an annual World Champion.  Here is what Chuck Harber’s brief bio says about him: “Chuck grew up in Silver City, NM and Deming, NM and learned about chili and pepper growing from his grandmother- who was also a champion cook! He began judging chili cooking contests in 2008 and in 2009 he was ready to join the ICS to start cooking himself! As of 2016, Chuck cooked in six World Championship Chili Cook-offs and four World Food Championships."

If you are interested, here is a link to his recipe:

https://www.chilicookoff.com/winning-recipes/details/1

What are you all making for your Super Bowl dinner?

AVB-AMG

• Like 1

I applaud your chili, AVB. I won’t start the ‘beans vs no beans’ debate, because, as we all know, a REAL bowl of red does not have beans.....

Should you make the jalapeño cornbread (and I highly recommend you do), be sure you do it in a cast iron skillet. Nothing else puts a crust on a cornbread like cast iron! Put that skillet in the oven for an hour before you pour the batter in. You’ll thank me later.

• Like 1

I make a crock pot cheesesteak
Sounds strange but it’s good

My buddy is bringing shredded buffalo chicken and rolls

I’m ordering a tray from zoagies (his food is awesome)

Keg of miller lite

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/01/its_a_zoagie_a_deep-fried_hoagie_found_in_south_je.html

http://6abc.com/food/south-jersey-chef-serving-up-deep-fried-zoagies/1724737/

213b90cbe927e39fa112bcab03fea5c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The math on the tray prices do t add up but he is correcting them today

3 minutes ago, Shawnmoore81 said:

I make a crock pot cheesesteak
Sounds strange but it’s good

My buddy is bringing shredded buffalo chicken and rolls

I’m ordering a tray from zoagies (his food is awesome)

Keg of miller lite

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/01/its_a_zoagie_a_deep-fried_hoagie_found_in_south_je.html

http://6abc.com/food/south-jersey-chef-serving-up-deep-fried-zoagies/1724737/

213b90cbe927e39fa112bcab03fea5c3.jpg

The math on the tray prices do t add up but he is correcting them today

Shawn, tell me more about this crock pot cheesesteak. Maybe the recipe?

Smoked briskett, wings (all types), ribs (baby back mostly), pork butt for Carolina barbecue.  Gonna make cole slaw, cheese grits, cornbread, and who knows what else.   Should be in the 60s, could rain, so I'll may have it on the lanai.  Hopefully it will be fun, what I mean is the Eagles losing....again.

• Like 1

Shawn, tell me more about this crock pot cheesesteak. Maybe the recipe?

1lb of velveta and 2 cans cream of mushroom soup in a crockpot. Brown 1-1/2 to 2lb ground meet in a pan and drain the grease. When the velveta and soup is melted and all mix in the ground meet. Stir the cheese as it is melting so it isnt all stuck to bottom

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I applaud your chili, AVB. I won’t start the ‘beans vs no beans’ debate, because, as we all know, a REAL bowl of red does not have beans.....

Should you make the jalapeño cornbread (and I highly recommend you do), be sure you do it in a cast iron skillet. Nothing else puts a crust on a cornbread like cast iron! Put that skillet in the oven for an hour before you pour the batter in. You’ll thank me later.

Displaced Texan:

I guess my chili is not a REAL "bowl of red" since I decided to add both black beans and dark red kidney beans.  Once I is done cooking, I will let it cool and into the refrigerator it goes for two days, letting all the various spices, chilies and other flavors mix together.  I hope it all works out well and tastes good on Sunday evening.

Since I am far from an expert cook, would you mind providing us (me), your more itemized recipe for your jalapeno cornbread.  I have not made it before and would like to not screw it up.  I have my grandmother's big cast iron skillet that should work fine for this effort, as per you suggestion.
It would be much appreciated.  Thanks...

AVB-AMG

AVB,

I find it just as easy (and tasty) to use Jiffy Cornbread mix...(tell my family members and I’ll deny it to your face) rather than my mother’s recipe. 

Depending on the size of your skillet, you may want to use multiple boxes. I think my cornbread pan is a 10” Wagner skillet, about 80 years old. For that pan, I use 2 boxes of Jiffy. 

I add diced jalapeño peppers (white membrane and seeds removed), and a handful of cheddar/jack cheese blend. My mom used to add roasted corn, cut off the cob of course, but I usually don’t. My dad loves it that way. 

Make SURE you heat that pan up well..I put the pan in the oven for at least an hour ahead of time, gets it’s nice and hot. Give it a quick wipe down with crisco on a paper towel. Pour in your batter, and bake it. Toothpick in the center of the cornbread should come out clean to indicate it’s done. 

• Like 2

Just now, Displaced Texan said:

I can’t eat this weekend (medical procedure Monday morning), so I’m doing it early...having football snacks tonight for dinner. 

Kolaches. Smoked sausage and jalapeño cheddar sausage. 

Cheddar sausage? What’s that taste like?....

1 minute ago, Displaced Texan said:

I can’t eat this weekend (medical procedure Monday morning), so I’m doing it early...having football snacks tonight for dinner. 

Kolaches. Smoked sausage and jalapeño cheddar sausage. 

Sounds good.  Hope its nothing serious.  Good luck man.   

2 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Cheddar sausage? What’s that taste like?....

Like sex in yo mouf...that’s what it tastes like!!

Gonna vac seal and freeze some for you, Zeke, like we discussed the other night. 

1 minute ago, Bighungry618 said:

Sounds good.  Hope its nothing serious.  Good luck man.   

No biggie....just a colonoscopy. My 12th. Lol

Thanks for thinking of me!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Like sex in yo mouf...that’s what it tastes like!!

Gonna vac seal and freeze some for you, Zeke, like we discussed the other night. 

No biggie....just a colonoscopy. My 12th. Lol

Thanks for thinking of me!

" jalapeño cheddar sausage"

No need to prep if you eat this.

• Like 1

Shawn, that zoagies tray sounds like a good deal. Ive had his shrimp zoagie and it was killer but hows his wings and other stuff? Im picky with my wings. 

Never had his wings

Chicken, fish and shrimp was great