HuntingPaper

Red dot for a Glock 17 MOS

I'm planning on getting a G17 MOS and buying a red dot for it. I really like the look of the RMRs and I'm sure they are the best quality around but is getting a bit pricey for my budget. Which other alternatives would you recommend? Also I feel a bit lost with all the RMR models...

I appreciate your advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J point/vortex venom/Burris fast fire 3

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

I also know about the existence of all of those. Do you own any? Have you try any one of those?

I would like hear the experiences of users around here.

I have the Venom and it is holding up well. I really like the Vortex company as a whole and have a number of their optics. That said, the RMR is the standard for all.

I had the FF3 and while nice and it did hold up just didnt feel right.

I have 5 RMRs, 2 07s, 2 05Gs, and a 04.

• Like 1

I have the Venom and it is holding up well. I really like the Vortex company as a whole and have a number of their optics. That said, the RMR is the standard for all.

I had the FF3 and while nice and it did hold up just didnt feel right.

I have 5 RMRs, 2 07s, 2 05Gs, and a 04.

How bright on daylight is the Vortex compared with the RMRs?

I also know about the existence of all of those. Do you own any? Have you try any one of those?

I would like hear the experiences of users around here.

I have had 2 of the Burris. I paid sub $300 for the pair from another member on here(maybe mikeyjones?) which to me was a good deal. One is mounted on one of my backup HD semi auto shotguns zeroed at 25yds for slugs. It's held up fine to a bunch of slugs and buckshot as well as dozens of target loads. It does get banged around the safe a good amount and hasn't needed to be rezeroed. The other was on an ar in their own mount and it was plenty enough at the time for me. Held zero just fine to 100yds. I sold it as a package when I sold that ar. No experience with it on a handgun.

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

• Like 1

They are bright. I have run the RMR in a few classes and the adjustable models are the key. You can turn up or down the brightness based on conditions.

The Dual illuminated are nice as well but can wash out the dot in certain conditions thus the need for BUIS.

Mounting a RDS on a pistol slide is different than mounting it on a long gun. The "shock" on the internals of the RDS on a handgun slide as opposed to mounting it on a shotgun or a rifle where the sight isnt moving back and forth with the force of the slide.

• Like 1

They are bright. I have run the RMR in a few classes and the adjustable models are the key. You can turn up or down the brightness based on conditions.

The Dual illuminated are nice as well but can wash out the dot in certain conditions thus the need for BUIS.

Mounting a RDS on a pistol slide is different than mounting it on a long gun. The "shock" on the internals of the RDS on a handgun slide as opposed to mounting it on a shotgun or a rifle where the sight isnt moving back and forth with the force of the slide.

All of This^^^^

Why spend the money for an MOS model Glock and then buy a cheap optic. The RMR is the standard for a reason. Buy once, cry once - you won't be sorry.

I've tried a bunch of red dots, burris, deltapoints, vortex, trijicons, and cmores.

I run C-More RTS 2 on my guns, I've got both  6 moa and 8 Moa, both are very visible.

Do you require something that will automatically be on when you draw the gun? or do you not mind having to turn the dot on prior to shooting. 

I've tried a bunch of red dots, burris, deltapoints, vortex, trijicons, and cmores.

I run C-More RTS 2 on my guns, I've got both 6 moa and 8 Moa, both are very visible.

Do you require something that will automatically be on when you draw the gun? or do you not mind having to turn the dot on prior to shooting.

The main porpoise of this will be Carry Optic Division, so I don't think it will be a deal breaker to have to turn it on. I'm inclining on getting the RM06. Do you think 3.5 MOA is a too small dot?

BTW, I have the dual "illuminated" (tritium/ambient light gathering fiber optic) RMR on my G19 MOS.  It's great in the sunlight (lots of light to gather), Ok in well lit indoors, and Ok in near pitch black (tritium).

However, in low light / but not real dark conditions it sucks - tritium isn't bright enough to make the dot jump out, you have to hunt for it.

If you are in low light and your target is against a light colored background, you will have a hard time finding the dot.

If you are in low light/dark and illuminating your target with a flashlight, you will have a hard time finding the dot.

If you are in a lower lit area and your target is in a brightly lit area (liking looking out a window onto a sunny day from a low lit room) you will have a hard time finding the dot.

I wouldn't run the dual illuminated RMR as an HD optic without co-witnessed backup irons.

• Like 2

The RMR is the way to go. I have seen C-Mores more often than not, not be able to hold zeros.

I've never , ever , heard that about C-Mores....(but i'm sure people of had issues with them at sometime or another )  While my opinion is weighed more toward the " competition " aspect of things,and not the tactical / self defense side,  Looking at what the pro competition shooters are using, is usually a good sign of what equipment works, and what doesn't. Most every one of them are running C-More red dots, and they most definitely get put through the paces. 

The main porpoise of this will be Carry Optic Division, so I don't think it will be a deal breaker to have to turn it on. I'm inclining on getting the RM06. Do you think 3.5 MOA is a too small dot?

I dont think so personally, but it's all user preference. I run a 6 MOA on my USPSA / ICORE gun, which is fairly common, some others will go with an 8 MOA.

The higher quality the sight, the easier it will be to see the reticle in undesirable conditions, like bright sun light. 

The one thing I remember about the RM06 Trijicon , ( at least I think it was this one ) was the pinkish/purple tint that the glass had on the user side, I really thought it was sort of distracting. I much prefer clear glass. 

If you're willing to spend that sort of coin on the Trijicon, I'd look at the Deltapoint Pro 2.5 MOA red dot.

• Like 1

That is true. Most Comp guys, you will find C-Mores.

In all fairness RMRs have had their reported issues as well when mounted to a slide.

I have 6 Dot pistols with 4 different setups (becuase I wanted to try them all and no one had em) with 4 different triggers in them. If you are ever near CJRPC and want to try them out feel free.

• Like 1

Most of the CMORE sights out there in competitions are attached to a mount that is anchored to the frame of the pistol and are not mounted to the slide - revolvers are an exception, but they don't have a slide that moves. As such, they are not subject to the force of the reciprocating slide like you have on a milled in MRDS/RMR. Apples to Oranges when talking about reliability.

One of the guys at work has a CMORE mounted on an MP5. He chases the zero on that thing all the time - when it works. I have an RMR on my MP5 - the zero has held with no issues for the last 5 years.

That is true. Most Comp guys, you will find C-Mores.

In all fairness RMRs have had their reported issues as well when mounted to a slide.

I have 6 Dot pistols with 4 different setups (becuase I wanted to try them all and no one had em) with 4 different triggers in them. If you are ever near CJRPC and want to try them out feel free.

I will take you up on that. Maybe next week? How's your schedule?

Look at the JPoint thumbs up on the Springfield AR review.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/11/jeremy-s/hands-springfield-armory-saint/

"We actually kicked off the two days of shooting with optics-equipped pistol instruction from Rob Leatham. Everybody grabbed an XD(M) OSP with a Trijicon RMR, and we ran drills from a holster. I’d like to note, mostly because it’s a “lesser-known” option, that Rob’s competition pistol has a JPoint on it. Which I should also note is what’s on my EDC GLOCK 19 MOS. Which I should also note has never crapped out on me like two of the RMRs, including mine, did that day."