S3_Rider

advice - selling guns locally

Hi All

I would like your thoughts for safely selling gun locally face to face. This isn't a question of what permits are needed, etc but more like what are your rules for arranging a meeting with someone who responds to your ad on armslist.nj / you don't know. I'd rather not give someone my address and you can't meet in a parking lot in NJ, so where does that leave you? 

Any input would be much appreciated

Thanks

The thing about the range is you can't un case a gun unless your in a port. Or do you think the parking lot of range / gun shop is ok? 

Your home range is GFH—have you asked them if they would assist in the transfer?

I've bought guns in the parking lot of a gun shop that was closed at the time. Just don't wave it around or draw attention. Handguns I'd meet at one of your houses or a range/shop

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

I've done it in the parking lot of a gun shop, parking lot of a range, at the seller's place of business after hours, and other places that I can not disclose for fear of incriminating myself.  All sales were legal.  NJ law makes transport such a burden that sometimes, you have to ask yourself how far you're willing to struggle to attempt to follow an impossible-to-navigate law.

I don't deal with Armslist.  Den of thieves.  That being said, if you have any misgivings, make sure you call the guy first and have an actual voice conversation.  Make friendly small talk (but probing) about the gun, who needs to bring what forms to fill out, what range he shoots at, what internet boards he's a member of, etc.

Google the phone number.  Makes sure his story checks out from what you can gather.

You can filter out a lot of the riff raff this way.

You're better off selling here, BTW where you can see the feedback (<------) of the forum member.

Hi All

I would like your thoughts for safely selling gun locally face to face. This isn't a question of what permits are needed, etc but more like what are your rules for arranging a meeting with someone who responds to your ad on armslist.nj / you don't know. I'd rather not give someone my address and you can't meet in a parking lot in NJ, so where does that leave you?

Any input would be much appreciated

Thanks

Forget about not giving them your address. Your address has to go on the P2P or COE. You have to give them your address anyway.

I will either go to the buyer or sellers house or wherever they feel comfortable. If I come to your house you can be wearing your Glock if you want. It's your house. If you come to my house I will be wearing mine.

I can understand concern for your safety. I'd say if someone from this forum who's been a bit would be pretty safe to deal with.

BEAT ME TO IT GRIZ>

What are we doing? A drug deal or something?  Without a FID (P2P) and another piece of  ID they ain't getting anything from me.  Excuse me, your address is on the COE and so is the buyers as well as the FID numbers.  Your selling a tool, just like a car.  Do you driive to a car dealers lot to sell? Please.

I have found a very good market, both buying and selling, through this forum.  Everyone I have met has been great, and most share the same values and views that I do.  I use this forum and a few others for all of my transactions and so far, knock on wood, they have all turned out very well. 

• Like 1

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot - agree 100% about feeling them out and confirming compliance requirements

Griz / T Bill - yes the paperwork has my address on it but thats could be after I meet the person (somewhere) and agree to the sale. My concern is having some stranger come to my house who says he has the required docs to purchase but maybe he doesn't or says he not interested, whatever. That person now knows where I live and what I have. 

Thanks for the comments. Obviously ideally I'd like to sell to someone I know but I wanted to know if anyone ever had experience with selling to someone they did't and what precautions did they take.

I have found a very good market, both buying and selling, through this forum.  Everyone I have met has been great, and most share the same values and views that I do.  I use this forum and a few others for all of my transactions and so far, knock on wood, they have all turned out very well. 

Thanks.  I will try here 

come on now please stop teasing us  what do you have  to entice us  !!!!

if I was selling or buying I have no problem having someone over  my house or meeting at there house especially anyone from this forum

• Like 1