Foxhunter

Carry rifles in your car?

I spend a lot of time on the range like 4-5 days a week not always shooting just doing some work

I would like to leave my rifles in my car trunk for the the week. According to Evan Nappen's it is Ok to go to the post office, bank, food shopping and just to get every day chores done with rifles in your trunk long as you have a yellow ID. Card.

What do you guys say?????

I spend a lot of time on the range like 4-5 days a week not always shooting just doing some work

I would like to leave my rifles in my car trunk for the the week. According to Evan Nappen's it is Ok to go to the post office, bank, food shopping and just to get every day chores done with rifles in your trunk long as you have a yellow ID. Card.

What do you guys say?????

If you are in possession of a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card you are not limited by restrictions of to and from a range or place of repair. Just make sure you avoid school property.

• Like 2

Stay off school property and any Federal property. That would include the parking lot for the post office. If the post office is in a strip mall that would not include the common parking lot for all the stores there. If it's a parking lot for only the post office you should park your car on the street and not in the lot.

This is what you'd have to do to be in full compliance with the law.

• Like 3

Not to mention, "unloaded" and "no loaded mags."   The reason for the latter (according to Nappen) is that the mag can be construed by a prosecutor as being part of the weapon.

I know that the normal laws of the land usually don't apply in the DPRNJ, but...  I thought it was already determined that a loaded mag was not the same as having a loaded gun and that magazines, in and of themselves, were not firearms.  Think I read that in a thread about loading mags to save time before going to the range.  As long as the mags and the rifle were in separate locked containers it was (technically) all good.  ie, rifle in trunk, mags in a bag in back seat, or something like that.

Naturally, I don't want to be the test case for this so I follow Nappen's advice.

Not to mention, "unloaded" and "no loaded mags."   The reason for the latter (according to Nappen) is that the mag can be construed by a prosecutor as being part of the weapon.

where does it say we can't have loaded mags? has anyone been convicted on that? not being a wise ass, just asking

I know that the normal laws of the land usually don't apply in the DPRNJ, but...  I thought it was already determined that a loaded mag was not the same as having a loaded gun and that magazines, in and of themselves, were not firearms.  Think I read that in a thread about loading mags to save time before going to the range.  As long as the mags and the rifle were in separate locked containers it was (technically) all good.  ie, rifle in trunk, mags in a bag in back seat, or something like that.

Naturally, I don't want to be the test case for this so I follow Nappen's advice.

In bold is one of the biggest fallacies of NJ - if you are in possession of a FPID and are transporting a firearm in NJ only, only thing needed is to be unloaded and not in the direct access of driver - WE ARE TALKING ABOUT RANGE TRANSPORT, GUNSMITH, TO AND FROM ONLY, I WOULD NOT BE SO RETARDED AS TO IMPLY THAT YOU CAN DRIVE AROUND WITH A PISTOL IN YOUR TRUNK FOR DAY TO DAY

Separate secured (locked) containers for ammo and firearms is INTERSTATE federal transport law - I.E. road trip, going between states, etc.

Yes the NJSP put it on their website for people traveling THROUGH NJ -

If you want to lock your containers when going to the range do whatever you want but its not the law - I am in full compliance of the law having my firearms unloaded in my range bag and my mags are in the same range bag if I'm shooting pistol or rifle, and my ammo is in the same bag - as long as the firearm is not loaded in NJ when traveling you are not breaking the law.

• Like 2

Yup when not at work I usually have a long gun in my vehicle. Rifle or shotgun unloaded, mag loaded. Never had a problem even after a few traffic stops and one accident. I don't volunteer any info unless directly asked though.

....f you are in possession of a FPID and are transporting a firearm in NJ only, only thing needed is to be unloaded and not in the direct access of driver...

You can have the unloaded rifle in your hands holding it outside the window (although you might get a moving violation for that if it was considered unsafe driving)  :laugh:

• Like 1

Yup when not at work I usually have a long gun in my vehicle. Rifle or shotgun unloaded, mag loaded. Never had a problem even after a few traffic stops and one accident. I don't volunteer any info unless directly asked though.

Have you ever been asked?

Have you ever been asked?

yes, 2 times. I answered honestly and added that the firearm was unloaded and properly stowed according to NJ law. One time I was told to keep my hands on the steering wheel, The other time I was asked if I would exit the vehicle (I was in a parkinglot) and we finished up standing in front of my truck. Never once was I asked to show the firearm or to give consent to serch my vehicle.
  • Like 1

I believe the "loaded magazine" thing started when someone was arrested in another state (not NJ) for having one. They were convicted on carrying a "loaded weapon". It was overturned on appeal.

Courts rely on common definitions if something is not specifically denied in the law. No where is a loaded magazine defined as a weapon. This only way you can hurt someone with one is to hit them on the head.

Nappen doesn't really impress me. He created his image as a "gun lawyer". Most of the things someone can be arrested for concerning guns do not require a "gun lawyer". You need a good criminal defense lawyer.

Nappen's advice to not transport loaded magazines is over cautious with no basis in law. Ask him how to avoid getting a speeding ticket in a 65 mph zone and he'll tell you drive 50 mph.

• Like 2

Whether or not a loaded magazine is defined as a weapon is a relatively trivial point in discussing transportation to and from a range.  Loading mags at home or at the range is an insignificant difference of minutes.

Where the issue becomes significant, IMHO, is when a rifle is carried in a car as a potential defensive weapon.  In that case, the difference between having a few loaded mags in the pouch pockets on a rifle case vs. having to stuff rounds into a mag in the face of a threat can be an eternity.  

• Like 1

In bold is one of the biggest fallacies of NJ - if you are in possession of a FPID and are transporting a firearm in NJ only, only thing needed is to be unloaded and not in the direct access of driver -

Separate secured (locked) containers for ammo and firearms is INTERSTATE federal transport law - I.E. road trip, going between states, etc.

Yes the NJSP put it on their website for people traveling THROUGH NJ -

If you want to lock your containers when going to the range do whatever you want but its not the law - I am in full compliance of the law having my firearms unloaded in my range bag and my mags are in the same range bag if I'm shooting pistol or rifle, and my ammo is in the same bag - as long as the firearm is not loaded in NJ when traveling you are not breaking the law.

Not true for handguns or cop killah rounds.

I believe the "loaded magazine" thing started when someone was arrested in another state (not NJ) for having one. They were convicted on carrying a "loaded weapon". It was overturned on appeal.

Courts rely on common definitions if something is not specifically denied in the law. No where is a loaded magazine defined as a weapon. This only way you can hurt someone with one is to hit them on the head.

Nappen doesn't really impress me. He created his image as a "gun lawyer". Most of the things someone can be arrested for concerning guns do not require a "gun lawyer". You need a good criminal defense lawyer.

Nappen's advice to not transport loaded magazines is over cautious with no basis in law. Ask him how to avoid getting a speeding ticket in a 65 mph zone and he'll tell you drive 50 mph.

He does eat a tremendous hamburger though, and will charge you to watch him gulp it down.

Not true for handguns or cop killah rounds.

Cop killahs yes but I have not seen law citing pistols unloaded and regular jacketed ammo being transported in an unlocked container (securely fastened however and not just tossed on your passenger seat) being in violation. "Easily accessible from the passenger compartment" is how I know it

Cop killahs yes but I have not seen law citing pistols unloaded and regular jacketed ammo being transported in an unlocked container (securely fastened however and not just tossed on your passenger seat) being in violation. "Easily accessible from the passenger compartment" is how I know it

Hold on, are you talking about NJ?

You can't have a pistol anywhere except home, range, gunsmith, etc and transport directly to and from those locations.  Severe felony if you have a pistol in the car when going to the store, even if unloaded, even if no ammo at all.

With a FID card you can have unloaded rifle or shotgun in car driving just about anywhere except specific banned locations like schools etc.

Hollow point rounds are just like a pistol.  So if you have your unloaded rifle in the car, make absolutely sure there is no HP ammo anywhere in the car.  One .22LR round with a dimple on the front is enough for you to be arrested for a felony.

If you ever have to actually take the rifle/shotgun out and use it, as soon as you load it you are committing a felony, as soon as you point it at anyone you are committing a felony, so make damn sure it is necessary to save your life.

Join ANJRPC and one of the benefits is you can call one of the lawyers (real goddamn lawyers not just people posting online) in the list in the back of their newsletter and ask them gun law questions.  Then you get real answers instead of confusion.  Considering how cheap membership is, and how severe the penalty is if you get it wrong, everyone should be joining and calling for advice.

Not true.  The FPID also allows you to carry an unloaded rifle or shotgun. It used to say it right on the top of the card.

I think it might be a little more complicated. You need to have been issued the card but I am not sure you actually have to carry it with you (although I can't see why anyone would not).

You can't have a pistol anywhere except home, range, gunsmith, etc and transport directly to and from those locations.  Severe felony if you have a pistol in the car when going to the store, even if unloaded, even if no ammo at all.

With a FID card you can have unloaded rifle or shotgun in car driving just about anywhere except specific banned locations like schools etc.

Hollow point rounds are just like a pistol.  So if you have your unloaded rifle in the car, make absolutely sure there is no HP ammo anywhere in the car.  One .22LR round with a dimple on the front is enough for you to be arrested for a felony.

If you ever have to actually take the rifle/shotgun out and use it, as soon as you load it you are committing a felony, as soon as you point it at anyone you are committing a felony, so make damn sure it is necessary to save your life.

Join ANJRPC and one of the benefits is you can call one of the lawyers (real goddamn lawyers not just people posting online) in the list in the back of their newsletter and ask them gun law questions.  Then you get real answers instead of confusion.  Considering how cheap membership is, and how severe the penalty is if you get it wrong, everyone should be joining and calling for advice.

Please everyone, especially new people READ KMAN's POST carefully. Individuals have been posting bullshit in this thread.

Please if you are not sure of the law STFU. You can post anything you like elsewhere, no matter how ridiculous. Gun law in NJ is serious business.

Please everyone, especially new people READ KMAN's POST carefully. Individuals have been posting bullshit in this thread.

Please if you are not sure of the law STFU. You can post anything you like elsewhere, no matter how ridiculous. Gun law in NJ is serious business.

I'm sure this is directed at me - I'm in 100% agreement with Kman's post - I am talking about transporting to the range, gunsmith to and from only, etc unless you misread my post - I never once mentioned you can travel around NJ with a pistol in your car just for the hell of it - re-read my post and I clarified about it in bold -

how stupid do you really think I would be in NJ to suggest that?  You can barely have a gun in your car to transport it to the range, or sneeze and an FMJ bullet goes out the window onto your front lawn when you are working at your reloading table in NJ -

I'm sure this is directed at me - I'm in 100% agreement with Kman's post - I am talking about transporting to the range, gunsmith to and from only, etc unless you misread my post - I never once mentioned you can travel around NJ with a pistol in your car just for the hell of it - re-read my post and I clarified about it in bold -

how stupid do you really think I would be in NJ to suggest that?  You can barely have a gun in your car to transport it to the range, or sneeze and an FMJ bullet goes out the window onto your front lawn when you are working at your reloading table in NJ -

I don't know how stupid you are. Read this and you tell me:

...if you are in possession of a FPID and are transporting a firearm in NJ only, only thing needed is to be unloaded and not in the direct access of driver -

Native English speakers, or people unfamiliar with NJ law might interpret that to include handguns. 

I'm not nit-picking and I didn't call you out, you called yourself out.

All good - With my one foot out the door since our house is going up on the market March 1 and I can feel the sunny south coming my name I forgot to give the disclaimer that it is assumed if you are transporting a handgun within the confines of NJ you better be only going to and from a gun range or gunsmith or picking up from your LGS with no unnecessary deviation.  And obviously unloaded and not in direct access of the driver. 

I'm not sure about Hollow point rounds in your car, I was told it's illegal only in the commission of a crime

We all use it at the range and you can buy it in NJ