Foxhunter

Carry rifles in your car?

I do really wish looking up this same BS on this forum would be a little easier by now!

Dan is correct w/ "Purchase and CARRY" on yellow cards (that's a NJFPID card for you kids).  My 33 yr old card says exactly THAT!

When my Uncle Floyd drove his RV to his new house in the People's Republic, he didn't hafta register a single gun in his 200+ gun collection!  He drove them to any range he wanted to go to and shot them regularly---all legal!

Uncle Floyd willed some of his gunz to me.  I never registered them and didn't need a P2P for any of the hand guns, lol!  I bring them unregistered gunz w/ me to the range all of the time!

Regarding HP rounds, yes T-Bill is correct, driving a box of reloading supplies (HP heads) around town while doing errands is technically a felony in the People's Republic.  And the only asswipe that got hung-out to dry for a keychain'd HP head had a pot roach in plain sight in the ashtray.  This goes back to my Cop friend w/ 28 yrs OTJ who always said, "If you're going to break the law, break ONLY ONE LAW AT A TIME".........

If anyone actually wants to learn the laws the way I learned them, just ASK!  

Joining a private Club that runs leagues that invite out-of-state shooters to participate with their hand guns sheds more light on true facts of NJ gun law than any other source!

There's more to understanding NJ gun law than reading one side of a half-assed quote of a statute!  One must ALWAYS look at the EXCEPTIONS & EXEMPTIONS when searching for true facts, and then have an out-of-body experience and say to yourselves, "If I came to a well-advertised Match from out of state (like so many others do!), would I sit in a jail cell with everyone else that attended and did the same??"

Employ COMMON SENSE and please keep your Facebook University diploma off the forum, lol!  

Finally, you'd either hafta be desperate or just plain stu-nod to take legal advice (including my expert OPINION w/ over 45 yrs of gun handling experience under my belt) of this forum.  

OK, I'm done pontificating for today.  Everybody just enjoy the fact that the Trumpster won last night instead of the Gun-Grabbin' WITCH!

(Drops Mike)

• Like 3

Title 2C - THE NEW JERSEY CODE OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE

Section 2C:39-3 - Prohibited weapons and devices

f.Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets. (1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet, or ....., is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

g.Exceptions......(2) a. Nothing in subsection f. (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land, .....

^^Ding ding - I wouldn't be bringing hollow points to the range unless you just bought them there and are bringing them home -

A lot of the people using JHP ammo at the range are probably LEO's who have the ability to carry or use it (us common folk don't get as many privileges)  - I wouldn't bring anything but ball ammo to the range, personally.

I'm not sure about Hollow point rounds in your car, I was told it's illegal only in the commission of a crime

We all use it at the range and you can buy it in NJ   

Let me get this straight, you are going to risk up to a 5 year prison sentence (for each count - a 50 round box is 50 individual felony counts) because "you were told" it's illegal only in the commission of a crime?  You think the police aren't aware that hauling you in for a HP round possession charge equals a nice easy felony collar?

You ever hear that ignorance of the law is no excuse?  Think the Judge, who probably wants all guns to be completely banned, is going to care that someone you spoke to gave bad advice?

For goodness sake, you gotta be more careful than that if you are going to be a gun owner in NJ!  Just because a dealer will sell it to you, doesn't mean you can just toss it in your trunk and forget about it.  I won't even bother citing the statutes involved.  You can just google up the NJ State Police advice on hollow point ammunition if you want.  If you still think it is legal, join ANJRPC and call one of their lawyers who will give free advice to you on it.

• Like 2

Doesn't 2c:39-6 deal with only firearms not ammunition?

Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f. . . ."

N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Round and round, over and over. Hollow points are treated in the law same as handguns, which you may only possess in your home, or at/between exempt locations: dealer, store, gunsmith, home, range, on your way to a legal venue out of state in which case federal transportation/storage laws apply. 

I hear all sorts of stuff about long guns, none of which is very appealing to me. WTF would anyone want to drive around in this state with an unloaded rifle or shotgun in their trunk? You can't use it for anything practical. If you're in a defensive situation do you think the perp is going to wait for you to go to your trunk, load your gun, etc.? OTOH if you're ever stopped and the cop should ask if you have any firearms in the car the best case scenario is you're going to be there an hour. Worst case... Or if some old bag sees the gun as your'e loading your groceries into the trunk at ShopRite...

And if the gun were more accessible it would be more visible from outside. Any NJ traffic stop under that scenario will be a headache. Remember the cop has absolutely nothing to lose by arresting you, dragging you in, etc., and having a judge throw the case out. No consequences.

I've had long guns in the trunk on my way home from various shooting activities, where I stop to eat or shop, for at most a few hours. That's it for me.

The down sides are so much greater than the fantasy scenario where an unloaded rifle that takes you 15 or 20 seconds to activate will help you. 

Newtonian- I don't have a trunk to keep a long gun in. Hell half the time my shotgun is in the passanger side of my standard cab truck. Just ask kardshark he saw me with 3 shotguns in my truck last weekend. Also as I stated earlier in this thread twice I have had to tell a cop that I had firearms in my vehicle and I was not there an hour. You state you can't do anything practical with a shotgun in NJ? What do you think people use to hunt with besides a bow and arrow? It's probably best to just speak about what you have actual experience with

• Like 1

Round and round, over and over. Hollow points are treated in the law same as handguns, which you may only possess in your home, or at/between exempt locations: dealer, store, gunsmith, home, range, on your way to a legal venue out of state in which case federal transportation/storage laws apply. 

I hear all sorts of stuff about long guns, none of which is very appealing to me. WTF would anyone want to drive around in this state with an unloaded rifle or shotgun in their trunk? You can't use it for anything practical. If you're in a defensive situation do you think the perp is going to wait for you to go to your trunk, load your gun, etc.? OTOH if you're ever stopped and the cop should ask if you have any firearms in the car the best case scenario is you're going to be there an hour. Worst case... Or if some old bag sees the gun as your'e loading your groceries into the trunk at ShopRite...

And if the gun were more accessible it would be more visible from outside. Any NJ traffic stop under that scenario will be a headache. Remember the cop has absolutely nothing to lose by arresting you, dragging you in, etc., and having a judge throw the case out. No consequences.

I've had long guns in the trunk on my way home from various shooting activities, where I stop to eat or shop, for at most a few hours. That's it for me.

The down sides are so much greater than the fantasy scenario where an unloaded rifle that takes you 15 or 20 seconds to activate will help you. 

Read the decision in the State v. Aitken case and get back to me.  The appellate court rejected his argument that HP be treated under the same exemption as the HGs he was moving.  He also had HGs, that conviction was overturned based on the moving exemption, HP conviction was NOT overturned.

Here are some relevant passages from http://www.leagle.com/decision/In%20NJCO%2020120330329/STATE%20v.%20AITKEN?

"Brian next contends that N.J.S.A. 2C:39-3(f)(l), which prohibits the possession of hollow nose bullets, is unconstitutionally vague. He further contends that the moving exemption found in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6(e) should be read into N.J.S.A. 2C:39-3(g)(2)(a) and applied to possession of hollow nose bullets while moving, despite the fact that the wording of N.J.S.A. 2C:39-3(g)(2)(a) does not include it."

"Brian also argues that, using the rule of lenity, we should interpret N.J.S.A. 2C:39-3(g)(2)(a) as including an exception for moving hollow nose bullets between residences, even though it is not included in the statutory language.

N.J.S.A. 2C:39-3(g)(2)(a) provides as follows: "Nothing in subsection [(f)](1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land...." In contrast to N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6(e), which concerns exemptions with respect to the possession of weapons, N.J.S.A. 2C:39-3(g)(2)(a) does not contain a specific exemption for possession while moving between residences. Citing the concept of lenity, Brian argues that we should read that exemption into the statute."

• Like 2

Shop Rite must have had a sale on Tin Foil this week, lol!  Some comments are correct, others, eh not so much.........  leahcim is correct about Aitken.  So if moving, go to a commercial range or private club (Exempt location), take a photo w/ your phone and then drive to the new residence.  NOW yer "legal".......

I can have HP's at my residence.  I can have multiple residences and have HP's at every one of them:  Regular residence, beach bungalow, cabin in the mountains, you name it!

I can have HP's at my premises.  A premises is usually defined as a place with WALLS, not a hot dog cart!

I can have HP's at 21 parcels of property (or 200 for that matter) I own scattered throughout all 21 counties in NJ.  "Other land owned or possessed by him".  Buried PVC pipes, lockers, desk drawers, lock boxes, rental property for rent, even an old gas station for sale.  Because this law was written by lawyers for land owners that are rich and want to protect their investments AND themselves.  Because PUNCTUATION HAS MEANING! 

Take my advice and just stop reading the laws that say you can't have this or that or possess or transport this or that.  Leave your Class 3 toyz  in PA along with 30 round mags, evil black rifles with too many fun things to play with, etc.  Just read the Exceptions and Exemptions, and stop asking if you can breathe air and in 99.999% of the cases you'll be fine.........

• Like 1

Prior to Aitken I would've argued that transporting HP between residences while moving is fine, and falls under the same exemption as HGs. And the fact that the law doesn't specifically say this is a mere technicality. No rational court would convict on that basis. Now I would definitely drive through the range parking lot on the way.

I've also always interpreted "while moving" to mean moving in the Newtonian sense, now I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Newtonian- I don't have a trunk to keep a long gun in. Hell half the time my shotgun is in the passanger side of my standard cab truck. Just ask kardshark he saw me with 3 shotguns in my truck last weekend. Also as I stated earlier in this thread twice I have had to tell a cop that I had firearms in my vehicle and I was not there an hour. You state you can't do anything practical with a shotgun in NJ? What do you think people use to hunt with besides a bow and arrow? It's probably best to just speak about what you have actual experience with

You didn't read my post. There are two things you can do with a shotgun off your property in this state: hunt and shoot. I do both. If I feel like stopping on the way to or from I stop. But I remove my gun(s) from the car when I come home because 1) I never lock and rarely garage my car and 2) I'd prefer not to have a cop see it or (if it's in the trunk) ask me any question I don't feel like answering truthfully. If there was something I could do with the danged things on Water St. in Newton I'd carry them to Lowes but there is not. Same reason I don't keep a mink stole or desktop computer in the back seat. Tits on a bull. You can do whatever you want, even wave it outside the driver's window like Nappen says. 

P.S. I don't care if the cop spends an extra three seconds as a result of me admitting I am in possession of a firearm. That would be three seconds too long. With my luck some old bag could have called in about a guy with a gun who looks like Santa Claus. Perfectly legal but no thanks.

You didn't read my post. There are two things you can do with a shotgun off your property in this state: hunt and shoot. I do both. If I feel like stopping on the way to or from I stop. But I remove my gun(s) from the car when I come home because 1) I never lock and rarely garage my car and 2) I'd prefer not to have a cop see it or (if it's in the trunk) ask me any question I don't feel like answering truthfully. If there was something I could do with the danged things on Water St. in Newton I'd carry them to Lowes but there is not. Same reason I don't keep a mink stole or desktop computer in the back seat. Tits on a bull. You can do whatever you want, even wave it outside the driver's window like Nappen says.

P.S. I don't care if the cop spends an extra three seconds as a result of me admitting I am in possession of a firearm. That would be three seconds too long. With my luck some old bag could have called in about a guy with a gun who looks like Santa Claus. Perfectly legal but no thanks.

I did read it that's why I responded to the things your wrong about. Maybe you need to re read your own post.

I did read it that's why I responded to the things your wrong about. Maybe you need to re read your own post.

Ok then please tell me what you are legally able to do with the gun in NJ when you're not either at the range or hunting. I'm eager to hear. If I lived in a different state I'd not only drive around with it it would be loaded and next to me, because doing so would have a purpose, namely defense. In NJ the only purpose would be to weigh down the papers and garbage in my car. Very simple. It's not like I can get out of my car on Rte. 3 during pheasant season and fire away. My philosophy regarding cops is very simple as well: Socialize in social activities but avoid "enforcement type" interactions at all costs. My post was about ME not you. You're free to draw as much attention to yourself as you like.

Ok then please tell me what you are legally able to do with the gun in NJ when you're not either at the range or hunting. I'm eager to hear. If I lived in a different state I'd not only drive around with it it would be loaded and next to me, because doing so would have a purpose, namely defense. In NJ the only purpose would be to weigh down the papers and garbage in my car. Very simple. It's not like I can get out of my car on Rte. 3 during pheasant season and fire away. My philosophy regarding cops is very simple as well: Socialize in social activities but avoid "enforcement type" interactions at all costs. My post was about ME not you. You're free to draw as much attention to yourself as you like.

re read your first statement again. You did not say "when your not hunting or at the range" you said you can't do anything practical with a rifle or shotgun in NJ. Big difference. Personally I can hunt pheasant everyday after work so it is very practical for me to keep a shotgun in my vehicle even if I have to park off campus.

re read your first statement again. You did not say "when your not hunting or at the range" you said you can't do anything practical with a rifle or shotgun in NJ. Big difference. Personally I can hunt pheasant everyday after work so it is very practical for me to keep a shotgun in my vehicle even if I have to park off campus.

Pheasant must grow like cockroaches where you live. Even when we had a dog I was lucky to see -- much less bag -- a bird after 10:00 am on stocking days. The day before you're pretty much taking a nice walk in the woods, which is fine.

Whatever. It was pretty clear I meant when not en route to hunting or shooting: "...when not hunting or shooting" is a direct quote. 

This has come up at least one other time here. In most places you can at least have the gun ready to go and within reach should a zombie approach you at a gas station. In this state you're pretty much just playing cowboys and indians with yourself. Under the circumstances it's not for me but you can do whatever you like. 

Prior to Aitken I would've argued that transporting HP between residences while moving is fine, and falls under the same exemption as HGs. And the fact that the law doesn't specifically say this is a mere technicality. No rational court would convict on that basis. Now I would definitely drive through the range parking lot on the way.

I've also always interpreted "while moving" to mean moving in the Newtonian sense, now I'm not sure.

You're correct!  The Judge in Aitken's case was disbarred and censured for an improper charge of the Jury as well as not allowing the defense of a modern 20-something's way of "moving" by hitting the couch of a friend in-between "registered addresses".

The law(s) get even more convoluted when one considers that they're allowed to patrol the perimeter of their property with a firearm.  Said "firearm" is NOT listed as having to be a long gun, so therefore a hand gun is Kosher.  Since we already know that my HP's are Kosher, where is it written that I can't patrol my 21 properties in a single evening by going DIRECTLY to the next EXEMPT location (other land owned or possessed by him) with said unloaded sidearm in my car's trunk next to my 3 Speedloaders?  I can pop the trunk and load the gun and CARRY IT as I patrol my "other land owned or possessed by him".  Since the statute doesn't say "open carry", CCW is always inferred.....  In fact if I owned multiple businesses, I could collect the receipts the same way, and load and unload the sidearm each time I made a pick-up of cold hard CASH!  NO amounts of legal usage are stipulated in the lawyer-written, VERBOSE statutes.  If those folks wanted to imply that my rights were LIMITED, they have all of the means necessary and at their disposal to do so!  

The average person reading this can't wrap their head around the fact that in addition to NJ gun law being outright UNCONSTITUTIONAL, it also is written to favor the RICH, Land-Owners, and Real Estate Barron's, as well as Night Club Owners that deal in huge sums of CASH.............  In fact, IMHO some of it is based on the laws of the early Colonies (where Land Owners had voting rights and serfs did not)!

• Like 2

Pheasant must grow like cockroaches where you live. Even when we had a dog I was lucky to see -- much less bag -- a bird after 10:00 am on stocking days. The day before you're pretty much taking a nice walk in the woods, which is fine.

Whatever. It was pretty clear I meant when not en route to hunting or shooting: "...when not hunting or shooting" is a direct quote.

This has come up at least one other time here. In most places you can at least have the gun ready to go and within reach should a zombie approach you at a gas station. In this state you're pretty much just playing cowboys and indians with yourself. Under the circumstances it's not for me but you can do whatever you like.

I live in Hunterdon county and hunt Spruce run WMA mostly. They are pretty much all stocked birds here but I do hunt with a dog and usually have no problem getting my limit even if we hunt the evening. You just gotta know where the birds hold up at, this year they will be close to water. Yes before I was able to hunt with a dog, bird hunting was mostly just exercise but that changed last year when a friend got a German short hair pointer, totally different experience! I agree that there is not much use for keeping a defensive firearm in your vehicle but personally I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I live in Hunterdon county and hunt Spruce run WMA mostly. They are pretty much all stocked birds here but I do hunt with a dog and usually have no problem getting my limit even if we hunt the evening. You just gotta know where the birds hold up at, this year they will be close to water. Yes before I was able to hunt with a dog, bird hunting was mostly just exercise but that changed last year when a friend got a German short hair pointer, totally different experience! I agree that there is not much use for keeping a defensive firearm in your vehicle but personally I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I "lost" my dog when its owner moved to Florida. Big difference not having one.

Wittingham is about 4 miles from me. Stopped going for a few years because of all the "baking done on premise" guys coming up from Passaic and Morris counties. I didn't move up here 26 years ago to be in large crowds and fight over pellet-sprayed flying snacks. Then someone here (or maybe it was my wife) suggested going after 8:30 or so. Much more pleasant experience but did not bag out once last season. It helps to be somewhat skillful with a shotgun :)

I have a shot tomorrow though...they're dumping like 700 birds at delaware water gap and 350 near me. Is delaware crowded?

Good luck.

You're correct!  The Judge in Aitken's case was disbarred and censured for an improper charge of the Jury as well as not allowing the defense of a modern 20-something's way of "moving" by hitting the couch of a friend in-between "registered addresses".

The law(s) get even more convoluted when one considers that they're allowed to patrol the perimeter of their property with a firearm.  Said "firearm" is NOT listed as having to be a long gun, so therefore a hand gun is Kosher.  Since we already know that my HP's are Kosher, where is it written that I can't patrol my 21 properties in a single evening by going DIRECTLY to the next EXEMPT location (other land owned or possessed by him) with said unloaded sidearm in my car's trunk next to my 3 Speedloaders?  I can pop the trunk and load the gun and CARRY IT as I patrol my "other land owned or possessed by him".  Since the statute doesn't say "open carry", CCW is always inferred.....  In fact if I owned multiple businesses, I could collect the receipts the same way, and load and unload the sidearm each time I made a pick-up of cold hard CASH!  NO amounts of legal usage are stipulated in the lawyer-written, VERBOSE statutes.  If those folks wanted to imply that my rights were LIMITED, they have all of the means necessary and at their disposal to do so!  

The judge in the Aitken case was, of course, an idiot.  BUT the appellate court did uphold the HP charge on the basis that there is no moving exemption for HP.

So you can travel between your lands and businesses (exempt locations) with HG and "loaded" magazines (not in the HG) as long as they are not loaded with HPs.

As far as your comments on NJ gun laws, refer to my signature.

• Like 1

The judge in the Aitken case was, of course, an idiot.  BUT the appellate court did uphold the HP charge on the basis that there is no moving exemption for HP.

So you can travel between your lands and businesses (exempt locations) with HG and "loaded" magazines (not in the HG) as long as they are not loaded with HPs.

As far as your comments on NJ gun laws, refer to my signature.

LOL, totally agree, 'cept for the evil HP's, lol!

As is often the case with NJ gun law, there are statutes that continuously contradict each other.  If I go on patrol DIRECTLY from one business or land owned or possessed by me to another, I'm traveling DIRECTLY to an EXEMPT location (which is allowed).  I'm not moving when in possession of the evil HP's, I'm on patrol of my properties (which is allowed and EXEMPT.  I don't need to be helli-cast via a rope from a HELO whilst wearing a mag pouch on my belt and carrying an unloaded hand gun in a case.  (Yes it's not written into the actual exemptions of HOW the HP's can arrive at said location, but since they're ALLOWED THERE they have to appear there w/o a Star Trek Transporter Beam or the aforementioned HELO).  Of course I could go to Dick's, buy a box of HP's and then drive them DIRECTLY to my land and lock them in a waterproof container hidden on the property.  And then lather, rinse and repeat until all 21 properties have a box of HP's.  Upon my arrival with my legally-transported hand gun, I can load said HP's and holster-up.  The only true gray area is whether or not I'm allowed to have them secured in my vehicle as I traverse the state en-route to my 21 properties where in fact their presence is LEGAL..... 

Once one's mind is completely open to accepting that land owners have more rights than mere serfs, one can more easily understand the convoluted nature of NJ gun laws.....  and gain insight through the proper use of PUNCTUATION and syntax.

Joe average with just one house or apartment is never going to be able to read and interpret the statute as written..........  (for the record, I'm just a Joe Average living in a Cape Cod, lol)

Boy this was "Fun" reading thru this!!! 

Thank God I live in Gods Country (Colorado)!!!  Here I can carry a hand gun - in my case normally a Browning Hi-Power - with a loaded 14 rd mag in the butt and a round in the chamber while driving almost anywhere in the state (peoples republik of denver being an exception - no rd in the chamber).  

Rifles and shotgun are different because of fish & game rules to prevent poaching - No rd in chamber allowed - regardless of time of year.  Of course I get around that one by carrying an M1A1 Thompson occasionally with the bolt locked back (safety on).  Instant shooter, But No rd in chamber so legal by state law.  Have had some interesting conversation on that with State Troopers and Deputy Sheriffs. 

Fortunately NJ is so far from me that I'll never have the occasion to travel anywhere close to it so your laws are of no concern to me! 

Good luck to all of you!  Maby with the just past election some progress will be made in changing your state laws??? 

Sarge 

LOL, totally agree, 'cept for the evil HP's, lol!

As is often the case with NJ gun law, there are statutes that continuously contradict each other.  If I go on patrol DIRECTLY from one business or land owned or possessed by me to another, I'm traveling DIRECTLY to an EXEMPT location (which is allowed).  I'm not moving when in possession of the evil HP's, I'm on patrol of my properties (which is allowed and EXEMPT.  I don't need to be helli-cast via a rope from a HELO whilst wearing a mag pouch on my belt and carrying an unloaded hand gun in a case.  (Yes it's not written into the actual exemptions of HOW the HP's can arrive at said location, but since they're ALLOWED THERE they have to appear there w/o a Star Trek Transporter Beam or the aforementioned HELO).  Of course I could go to Dick's, buy a box of HP's and then drive them DIRECTLY to my land and lock them in a waterproof container hidden on the property.  And then lather, rinse and repeat until all 21 properties have a box of HP's.  Upon my arrival with my legally-transported hand gun, I can load said HP's and holster-up.  The only true gray area is whether or not I'm allowed to have them secured in my vehicle as I traverse the state en-route to my 21 properties where in fact their presence is LEGAL..... 

Once one's mind is completely open to accepting that land owners have more rights than mere serfs, one can more easily understand the convoluted nature of NJ gun laws.....  and gain insight through the proper use of PUNCTUATION and syntax.

Joe average with just one house or apartment is never going to be able to read and interpret the statute as written..........  (for the record, I'm just a Joe Average living in a Cape Cod, lol)

IIRC, The law carves out separate transport exemptions (from where to where) for HGs and HPs.  The HG exemption includes something like between homes (or maybe lands or residences) while moving.  Aitken's lawyer argued "that N.J.S.A. 2C:39-3(f)(l), which prohibits the possession of hollow nose bullets, is unconstitutionally vague. He further contends that the moving exemption found in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6(e) should be read into N.J.S.A. 2C:39-3(g)(2)(a) and applied to possession of hollow nose bullets while moving, despite the fact that the wording of N.J.S.A. 2C:39-3(g)(2)(a) does not include it."

The appeals court let the HP conviction stand, even while reversing the HG conviction as being covered by the moving exemption.

I believe the specific wording of the law allows HPs between place of purchase and home/land/business that you own and between home/land/business and the range.  So the only way to legally move HPs from one residence to another is to make a stop at the range.

As for the inscrutable NJ gun law, refer to my signature...

"Law is defined to be a rule of action; but how can that be a rule, which is little known, and less fixed?"