Sign in to follow this  
revenger

anyone here cast their own bullets

Was thinking about casting my own .45acp bullets  LSWC  ( I can get as many old wheel weights as I need)  I have never done this and would like to know what exactly do I need,

I'm guessing a melting pot

correct molds and handle

sizer and a way to lube them.

anyone recommend anything else and how to do it.

Thanks    

Unless you can assay the lead, casting with wheel weights can be a hit or miss process.  Not all weights were made with the proper tin and antimony.  I'll let the pros do their magic and avoid the problems.

Current wheelweights have too much of a zinc component. If the ones you have/can get are truly "old" then you are probably OK. The sizer is also the vehicle for lubricating the cast bullet (luber/sizer). If these are to be for your .45 ACP revolvers, you are better off casting a 230 gr RN. For your semi's the H&G 68 200 gr SWC is the nutz.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

so RN 230 grain is better than the H&G 68 for a revolver,    currently I use the 200 and 185 lswc several of the mail order makers (swaged and hard cast) ,  didn't think the RN would be that good.   Is it just for ease of loading with a moon clip.   I have also experimented with Matts 165gr full WC for revolver loading light for old 1917 s&w.

thanks 

For a revolver I would use a LSWC. I have molds by most manufacturers and I use Lee. Six cavity, great designs, and light.

I like wide metplats. I would find a SWC of your choice by Lee.

Wheel weights aren't bad but you need to sort them. I don't have a source anymore but I had no problem sorting the lead from zinc and steel. Wheel weights are an excellent alloy.

If anyone is looking for lead let me know. I have already sorted wheel weights (it's really easy to tell lead front zinc), old birdshot, and old slugs and buckshot. I was planning on casting my own but I'll probably never get around to it.

Was thinking about casting my own .45acp bullets  LSWC  ( I can get as many old wheel weights as I need)  I have never done this and would like to know what exactly do I need,

Based on the responses, not many real casters ...

Needs:

Accurate Mold Multi Cavity H&G 68 clone .. http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-200H-D.png - pay attention from Accurate how to break in an aluminum mold

How to Cast Your Own Bullets... http://www.zjstech.net/gunstuff/casting.html

* Thermometer ... http://www.teltru.com/p-272-big-green-egg-primo-komodo-grill-dome-or-other-kamado-style-replacement-thermometer-lt225r-5-inch-stem-2001000-degrees-f.aspx

* Lead, best alloy is Lyman #2 - Bhn 15.4 (Source- RotoMetals)

* Wood chips fluxes the melt cheaply

* A steel soup spoon to skim the dross from the melt.  Drill holes on one side of of the spoon so the melt goes back into the pot

* Paraffin lubes the mold pins and leaves no residue

* Two tin cans: one to put the dross in and another to put the cut sprues in.  Do not put the cut sprues back into the pot while casting

The key to nice bullets is: Heat the mold (after break in for aluminum's) and the melt in the pot to a temperature so after a 5 second pour, the sprue puddle frosts in 5 seconds ,,, then cut the sprue with the sprue plate

The 8-Phase Casting Cycle ... http://www.longrangebpcr.com/8Phases.htm

I ladle pour and here are some tools of the 'trade' ...

DSC00183.jpg