louu

Retailers who raised prices today?

So has anyone noticed (caught) any places doing the "cheaper than dirt" election opposite sale? 

I found one, I'm shocked and pretty pissed about it. 

Call them out here

Supply and Demand

Some distributors have raised their prices days ago, so it gets passed on to the consumer.

Here is a sample of one getting ready to change theirs:

Thank you for your interest in MGE Wholesale. We are currently updating our inventory. As the update completes, we suggest contacting your salesperson directly for current inventory levels and pricing:

I have an online retail store.  We ended up with a sort-of-celebrity edorsement (he's at least a celebrity in our little nitche market) that we didn't expect.  Sales tripled for about 2 months.  We couldn't keep up.  We hired high school kids to help us fill orders, we bought out all of our suppliers.  We really struggled to meet demand.  We needed to curtail demand so we raised our prices.  We made our product less desirable by making it too expensive and sales slowed to a level we could meet. 

We weren't intending to gouge.  I'm sure that some saw our price increase and thought that was what we were doing.  Sellers who increase prices during times of higher demand are not necessarily cheating.  I'd argue that both the buyer and seller have to agree on a price or the sale won't happen. 

• Like 2

We raised prices today on some items to MSRP (from MAP, usually a 5% difference but varies by brand) and put hard quantity limits on mags.  While we braced pretty heavily inventory-wise (we're carrying 10x as many PMAGs as normal), an overnight run on stuff could put us in a tough spot.  The other consideration we have to take into account is our wholesale network and trying to keep them fed with product during shortages so using a price of MSRP rather than MAP to gently adjust the split in sales should have been relatively painless.

I figured he would come on here and call himself out with some kind of excuse and most guys would eat it right up. To me price gouging is price gouging, no excuse for it period. 

I also didn't want this thread to turn into a shit show and get deleted by the mods. 

I'm talking about MidwestPX, Monday the price on the MidwestPX lower receiver was 129.95. On election day the price went up to 159.95. 

I have been watching many retailers, even cheaper than dirt (not that I ever bought anything from there) and none of them price gouged on election day. 

IMO, price gouging can only be on necessities, ie. food, shelter, clothing, etc. Magazines, ammo, holsters, etc, are controlled by supply and demand. If you don't like the prices, don't buy it.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

Generally, no specific retailer.  Prices were already tracking upward and pressure in the wholesale market about the election, forced prices upward. Now with no big buying frenzy on the horizon and less people buying, it will take a little time before retailers consider selling at a lower profit margin.  Springtime is the next logical timeframe for price reductions as the shooting season picks up again.

I figured he would come on here and call himself out with some kind of excuse and most guys would eat it right up. To me price gouging is price gouging, no excuse for it period. 

I also didn't want this thread to turn into a shit show and get deleted by the mods. 

I'm talking about MidwestPX, Monday the price on the MidwestPX lower receiver was 129.95. On election day the price went up to 159.95. 

I have been watching many retailers, even cheaper than dirt (not that I ever bought anything from there) and none of them price gouged on election day.

So now selling something for MSRP is gouging? MSRP: Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Pricing. You're upset about increased prices, not gouging. Gouging is showing up to an area that was just hit by a natural disaster and selling bottled water for $50/bottle because you're the only game in town. In reality, the pricing on that lower specifically should have been adjusted to MSRP the second we found out that the machine shop that makes them is out of business and we can't get any more at a cost that would support that pricepoint (or any pricepoint now). You, specifically, louu, should know we aren't malicious in our pricing. Remember that BCG you bought that went on sale a couple days later and you received a prompt refund for the difference ($25 or so IIRC) without asking for it? You didn't complain about the price changing then because it was in your favor. But you'll begrudge us a $30 increase on an item that we can't replace once we sell out?

• Like 4

Midwest PX is a standup vendor here and I wouldn't consider that price change gouging at all.

Never an issue with Ty and he's always been there to help when needed.  I support this dude whenever I can (when I'm not buying used).

• Like 3

Manufacturer 's will cut supply. The demand that we've seen for 8 yrs will not be there shortly.

Things will stabilize. Business owners have a right to make money or why keep the doors open?

Price? Whatever the market will bare. I'm glad I held off on a lower.

IMO, price gouging can only be on necessities, ie. food, shelter, clothing, etc. Magazines, ammo, holsters, etc, are controlled by supply and demand. If you don't like the prices, don't buy it.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk.

I tend to agree with this. ^^^^ Neccessities and extraneous items are a little different.

I'm not an expert on this sort of thing but maybe a retailer can comment. If your supply is or is expected to run short, you might increase the price a bit.

Call them out bro! I love supporting local but they have to support us too! Who was it

On another note - Thanks for making a "deal" and then totally drop off the face of the earth.  Classy.

I have placed two orders with two different MFG's both yesterday and today - Pricing seems to of remained the same as its been.  Both vendors did say they were rather backlogged at the moment.