louu

Retailers who raised prices today?

I placed my first order with them yesterday.  5% off.  

Have you shot any of their reloads?  I ordered some .223. to try out.

FM's reloaded 223 is just OK.  It's been a hit or miss for me in the past with really messed up looking brass and case necks

Their new production is good, though.  I have a bunch of their 556 - can't complain about those.

Their reloaded pistol calibers are also spotty.  I've had a lot of pushed in bullets and a few duds.  Perfectly fine for plinking.

So now selling something for MSRP is gouging? MSRP: Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Pricing. You're upset about increased prices, not gouging. Gouging is showing up to an area that was just hit by a natural disaster and selling bottled water for $50/bottle because you're the only game in town. In reality, the pricing on that lower specifically should have been adjusted to MSRP the second we found out that the machine shop that makes them is out of business and we can't get any more at a cost that would support that pricepoint (or any pricepoint now). You, specifically, louu, should know we aren't malicious in our pricing. Remember that BCG you bought that went on sale a couple days later and you received a prompt refund for the difference ($25 or so IIRC) without asking for it? You didn't complain about the price changing then because it was in your favor. But you'll begrudge us a $30 increase on an item that we can't replace once we sell out?

It does not matter to me if it was one dollar, the thing that gets me is the fact that you did it on election day and you were the only one who did it. I went to Cabela's on the way home last night to pick up my order of Berry's (that were on sale and dirt cheap) and nothing changed there. They had barrels and racks full of Pmags for $12.99, every type of .22 ammo for really low prices, deals so low on .223 it made me wonder why I bother to reload the stuff. They also had every brand and size primer and every powder on the shelf for just a couple bucks more than Powder Valley without the crazy shipping. One more for anyone looking to make a trip down, they had 1k boxes of bullet heads on the shelf, every caliber, cheap. I'm just using that for an example that nothing changed, not Cheaper than dirt, not MidwayUSA, not Strong side Tactical, Geissele, Shooters Connection, Dawson...

The definition of price gouging is raising the price of goods or services during a natural disaster. If HRC would have been elected that would have been a (wo)man made disaster in our world. It was poor timing and a poor decision on your part.

About the refund on the BCG last year I told you how much I appreciated that and because of that and the fact that you always help everyone out with great info that you would have a customer for life. 

No one else in this thread found anything that went up on election day. To me its all about the principle, not about the money.

Witch is why my next rifle will either be a Seekins Precision or an FN just for the fact that they both support 3 gun. 

• Like 1

I don't think Ty intentionally did that just for election day.  He said that his supplier is long gone and he has to make due since he can't get those anymore.  IMO that isn't price gouging at all, especially for the amount he's asking for a nice lower.  He has to run a business and that isn't cheap - especially when your suppliers are in a shaky situation or in Ty's situation - long gone... 

Everyone has a choice to buy or not..  Unless it's some obviously retarded situation that people should be made aware of, it's all fair game.

It does not matter to me if it was one dollar, the thing that gets me is the fact that you did it on election day and you were the only one who did it...

What dates would you approve for a price increase?  Can he do it on Thanksgiving or St.Patrick's Day?  If you don't want to pay his prices, just buy somewhere else.  I have the feeling that you feel like he did something to you personally - but you didn't have any pricing agreement with him.  You're free to buy from anyone.  Even if he raised his price by $1,000,000, he didn't harm you.  If you want to control the price of goods - start your own business and you can set the price as low as you want.

Don't worry.  If his price is too high, everyone will buy somewhere else and he'll have to lower his price.  If his price is too low, he won't make enough money to cover his costs and he'll have to raise his price.  The free market sets his price - he doesn't.  He can adjust it up or down temporarily to see what works and every business does this.  But he can't set his price above everyone else and keep it there - he'll loose to many sales.  And the industry as a whole can't set an artificially high price either to collectively gouge the public because someone in that group of businesses will cheat and lower the price to get sales and then everyone else will have to do the same.

Prices are market driven.

It does not matter to me if it was one dollar, the thing that gets me is the fact that you did it on election day and you were the only one who did it. I went to Cabela's on the way home last night to pick up my order of Berry's (that were on sale and dirt cheap) and nothing changed there. They had barrels and racks full of Pmags for $12.99, every type of .22 ammo for really low prices, deals so low on .223 it made me wonder why I bother to reload the stuff. They also had every brand and size primer and every powder on the shelf for just a couple bucks more than Powder Valley without the crazy shipping. One more for anyone looking to make a trip down, they had 1k boxes of bullet heads on the shelf, every caliber, cheap. I'm just using that for an example that nothing changed, not Cheaper than dirt, not MidwayUSA, not Strong side Tactical, Geissele, Shooters Connection, Dawson...

The definition of price gouging is raising the price of goods or services during a natural disaster. If HRC would have been elected that would have been a (wo)man made disaster in our world. It was poor timing and a poor decision on your part.

About the refund on the BCG last year I told you how much I appreciated that and because of that and the fact that you always help everyone out with great info that you would have a customer for life. 

No one else in this thread found anything that went up on election day. To me its all about the principle, not about the money.

Witch is why my next rifle will either be a Seekins Precision or an FN just for the fact that they both support 3 gun. 

Okay, let's talk about principles which is going to result in me discussing more about what goes on behind the scenes than I'm generally willing to share publicly.  I put about $100K into the principle of protecting my customers, both wholesale and retail, from supply disruptions.  I literally could have paid off my house instead.  Go back and look at the post Sandy Hook threads complaining about mag pricing where your LGS was charging (and getting) $40-60+ for a limited capacity PMAG.  The only way we can impact that as the manufacturer is to increase supply.  We updated all of our dealers of this about a week before the election because we wanted to put them at ease that they don't need to load up prematurely and worry about availability.  We didn't want them to feel like they wouldn't be able to reorder in a timely or predictable matter which directly impacts the retail price.  So I made the decision to invest in far more inventory in a limited number of SKUs to buffer against that.  Meanwhile, on the handful of lowers that we have left that are now $30 more expensive, even if we sold every single one right this second, that extra $30/lower wouldn't even cover one month's rent for the shop.  Obviously, the buffering isn't a completely altruistic move since we can't sell what we don't have so it was a sound business decision as well however supply stabilization benefits all of us.  The alternative would have been for us to sit on our hands, not adjust inventory, wait for all Hell to break loose, then use pricing as a way to allocate mags among our dealers by jacking up the price at the wholesale level which obviously would impact the retail price.  Sure, our margins would be better and we'd be in a more fluid financial position, but that's not what I wanted because it defeated the initial objective of maintaining a stable retail price.

IMO, you're making a mountain out of a mole hill and I agree with maintenanceguy that you're taking this personally.  Your previous posts suggest this with wording like, "shocked and pretty pissed about it" and "I figured he would come on here and call himself out with some kind of excuse and most guys would eat it right up."  I'm not making excuses.  I'm providing you with an explanation of what happened and even admitted that I screwed up with the timing.  By the way, our cost on WMD BCGs is going up so when we restock, that price will be increasing too.  Just a head's up.

• Like 1

Louuu Your full of shit saying No one else happened to raise prices . lot of places raised prices. I saw all kinds of inflation and I don't think it was gouging. it was supply and demand. And people have had months to buy stuff at lower prices so the ones waiting till last minute when stuff is almost dried up may pay a little more if that how the market dictates.

Midwestpx is one of the most stand up guys out there he explained it and that's that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

Louu .. you are confused, and mostly wrong. There was natural no disaster or emergency, the price of the item was near MSRP, the item was not scarce, not a necessity of life, etc.

By no logical, legal, or common definition does this sound like any sort of gauging.  If price fixing is your thing, I worry that might feel sad about the outcome of the recent unpleasantness with the voting and the electing. ;)

I think the OP is out of line in his accusation of price gouging.

There are many, many behind the scenes factors involved with pricing, and inventory management. Just because you don't see, or understand those dynamic factors, that doesn't mean the vendor is price gouging.

I think Ty has been pretty straightforward in his explinationof some of these factors. Especially in light of the fact that he didn't HAVE to do it.

Personally, OP, I think you owe Ty an apology.

• Like 2

I've been stocking ammo for the last month. Didn't notice any price differences for my calibers. I always shop around. Next to electronics guns and ammo are probably the products whose prices most closely reflect actual supply and not gouging. 

That said, anyone who shoots a bit should consider January, 2018, when regardless of anything occurring at the national level we will probably have "signature only" deliveries, have to go through an FFL or have an outright mail order ammo ban. 

Like my prediction that Hillary would win in a landslide...

In light of this thread i just placed a small order for some odds n ends.

Thank you!  USPS is closed today and while we're normally closed on Saturday, the post office is just a few blocks from my house so I'll be taking all of the USPS outbounds home with me tonight and dropping them off in the morning so there should be minimal delay!

• Like 1

I'm not really sure he will get a position in the cabinet, he is a bit to tainted and I'm not sure Trump wants that heat.

I agree. I believe that's also the reason Pence took over the Transition Team and CC is now some sort of advisor...on paper. I think he's on his way out there.

Edit: lol... I scrolled up and realized this was that price issue thread.

Not in anyway a gouge as I see it. Prices vary and this doesn't come anywhere close to that claim.

Freedom Munitions is a solid seller. No price increases; mild discount yesterday and today.

Bullshit.

The 5% discount they offered recently, was AFTER jacking up prices ahead of time to cover the "discount."

This is not the first time they've done that either. Every time I've seen a price increase from them, they've done that; increase baseline price, immediately offer a 5% discount, then once the discount expires they have a higher baseline price.

I've been a long time supporter of their products, but now their reman products are not any cheaper than actual name NEW products.

I'm done with them.

An observation from a long time in this industry. The general public forgets that it is a business. There always seems to be a feeling that everyone in the gun industry is independently wealthy and is in a position to provide little to no profit pricing to all the brethren of fellow shooters. I can tell you that almost everyone I have come in contact with in the industry is fundamentally a pro gun person who DOES believe in the brotherhood. Many do everything they can to support their fellow shooter. But at the end of the day, they still need to turn a profit, put food on the table and pay the bills just like you do. Did everyone get all bent out of shape when gold went up $140's an ounce over night due to Brexit? Does anyone watch the prices on electronics when Christmas looms? Let this sink in. IT IS A FREE MARKET! As such, you need to make money when you can. Savvy businesses will maintain a balance between profit and customer retention. Is everyone going to run out and buy guns now? Are you going to buy without need now to support your local gunshop? Concern buying is likely done for America at least for the next 4 years. If businesses didn't make money recently, they may not survive what is sure to be a flattening market. But back to the offence taken by many. I may be offended if I need to flee an area and they want $20 a gallon of gas. And I would consider that gouging. But a minor pricing fluctuation is just business for EVERY business. And as a free market you are always free to say thank you kindly but I think I will continue to shop around. No need to be butt hurt or offended. 

• Like 1