Sign in to follow this  
Recon Racoon

Transporting collection for move to Florida

So it's been about 4 days since I got to Cape Coral. Already eyed up a new stock for the AR, have my hand gun loaded in my night stand. The train ride down was ok, people behind me were loud, but what's new.

As far as my fire arms go, not once did I see a dog doing security checks around the cars. I did see one in the terminal, but that was it.

It's possible that you snuck in while the dog was patrolling inside the terminal or taking a break.  Every so often, they bring it inside to cool off and relax, especially on hot days.

So, you were in "coach" for the train ride?   It's Ok, but nothing  beats a sleeping car room. Yeah, it costs extra, but for the peace & quiet....

Also, how long did it take for them to get your car after they started unloading?

But very glad you made it down without difficulty.   Do you have all your "inventory" with you?

If I do it again, without a doubt spending the extra for a sleeping room or even a roomette.

I had to leave a majority of it behind, but I can come back up for it later. I have the two most important with me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

If I do it again, without a doubt spending the extra for a sleeping room or even a roomette.

I had to leave a majority of it behind, but I can come back up for it later. I have the two most important with me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

The only difference between a "bedroom" and a "roomette" is that the bedroom comes with a private bath (an enclosed shower/toilet and a sink on the outside), and it's a little more roomier. It has a full length sofa which extends out to an almost "full size" bed. One of the things I liked about it is that I could take on a lot more "carry on" luggage than most, as long as I didn't need assistance schlepping it up and down the stairs. Some of the attendants would balk and say, "carry ons are limited'  but I'd remind them that I'm in a bedroom by myself.

The "sofa," BTW, faces only one way, and there's a fixed chair seat opposite it.   If you're someone who needs to "face forward" to not be disoriented when riding, then ask for an "B" or "D" unit when traveling south, and a "C" or "E" unit when traveling north. This isn't an issue for the roomettes, which have two equivalent sofa seats that face each other). You can fit two people on one side.... if they really love each other... :D That's actually important because a lot of people don't realize the potential for "motion sickness" when riding. I made sure I always brought some "Bonine" with me (OTC version of Dramamine). 

Pffft. No thanks.

Guns go FedEx.

People use Airplanes.

Cars get sold.

Sent from an undisclosed location

Not so fast with the airplanes.    I don't travel by air near as much as I used to. Air travel sucks, these days.  I'd prefer to drive.

Pffft. No thanks.

Guns go FedEx.

People use Airplanes.

Cars get sold.

Sent from an undisclosed location

That is a lot of expense to avoid a 12 hour drive! The hit in sales tax for new cars alone is huge.

First suv packed with the fine china. The 2nd suv had the 3 dogs in the back, with the heaters and clubs in the middle. Only a $10 surcharge for the dogs overnight, and it was all over before the new gas tax hit!

Just drive down and split it to 2 days. I was fine with 3 dogs and a packed suv.

I moved from NJ to FL in two days. I only had two dogs but I had two cars. The moving company accepted long guns but not handguns. I only had 3 handguns so I put the handguns in my SUV and the ammo in my wife's car. It was an uneventful two days and a pretty straight shot down I95. There are many dog friendly motels but I do not know if they will take 3 dogs. I had made the trip to FL about 6 times before so we knew where to stay and how long to drive each day. MD and VA have some tough gun laws so make sure you check them out first because I believe that you take the train in VA.

Also double check the info for the auto train as sometimes you get told the wrong thing.

Also double check the info for the auto train as sometimes you get told the wrong thing.

Yes, if the agent is not trained on the Auto Train and its policies, they may not know the specific rules about it. Best practice is to call the specific customer service line for the Auto Train (1-877-SKIP-I95).  Those agents should be fully briefed.

As a reminder, firearms are prohibited on board the Auto Train... both in the coaches/sleepers, etc., as well as in your personal vehicle.  The reason is that the Auto Train doesn't have a baggage car with a secure cage, unlike some of the other long distance trains where firearms can be checked in and transported. Theoretically, a baggage car isn't needed on the Auto Train as you'd be transporting most of your possessions in your vehicle, except for what you carry on-board (where firearms would be prohibited in all cases, anyway).

Again, if you attempt to hide the firearms in your vehicle, and the Amtrak search dog alerts on it, you'll be in for a very long day... not to mention missing your train.