Krdshrk

NJ Stun Gun law ruled Unconstitutional

1 hour ago, PK90 said:

Since when is self defense not lawful?

Self defense is not unlawful in NJ.  Carrying a weapon specifically for the purpose of self defense is.   The restrictions are so tight here that we are only allowed to carry a small canister of pepper spray and a whistle..  This is a state where daisy red rider BB guns require a FID to purchase and if you want to buy a .177cal target air pistol you have to go through exactly the same process as if you were buying a 44magnum.

• Like 2

I stand corrected. NJ doesn't allow carrying a weapon for self defense so that would apply to knives and Stun guns without another lawful purpose. I have a feeling we are out of luck as far as carry goes. In the home they will be fine until NJ requires a P2P to purchase them. Ugh
In the home I would assume one would choose a firearm. What about keeping one in the car ? Is that considered carrying being it is not in your home and don't have another lawful purpose for it ?

Wow people are talking themselves out of carrying a perfectly legal stun gun. Nappen is a blowhard who is hoping someone gets arrested for having one and the case gets publicity and the person arrested has plenty of money. The ban was ruled Unconstitutional. This would apply to ban on carry since it was at the heart of the initial case. If you want one buy it and carry it. If you are not going to carry it why buy it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tattooo said:
5 hours ago, NJGF said:
I stand corrected. NJ doesn't allow carrying a weapon for self defense so that would apply to knives and Stun guns without another lawful purpose. I have a feeling we are out of luck as far as carry goes. In the home they will be fine until NJ requires a P2P to purchase them. Ugh

In the home I would assume one would choose a firearm. What about keeping one in the car ? Is that considered carrying being it is not in your home and don't have another lawful purpose for it ?

I doubt a car is allowed unless you meet the other criteria such as going to have it repaired, purchasing it, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, capt14k said:

Wow people are talking themselves out of carrying a perfectly legal stun gun. Nappen is a blowhard who is hoping someone gets arrested for having one and the case gets publicity and the person arrested has plenty of money. The ban was ruled Unconstitutional. This would apply to ban on carry since it was at the heart of the initial case. If you want one buy it and carry it. If you are not going to carry it why buy it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The original MA case that SCOTUS ruled on was not about carry. MA made a ridiculous claim that only weapons there existed at the time the 2nd amendment existed were legal. This allowed SCOTUS to strike it down.

The NJ AG consent decree didn't talk about carry. They very carefully only changed their ruling about stun guns regarding specific sections of NJ law and these did not deal with carry.

If someone with cash (for lawyers not the stun gun) purchases one they can then sue the state for infringement of their 2A rights. I am guessing the NJ2AS wanted the win rather than to continue the fight.

8 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Let's say you get stopped by a cop, and you have a pocket knife on you. And the cop asks you for what lawful purpose do you have this knife, and your reply is for self-defense. You'll be taking a trip to the police station. There is really only one lawful purpose to carry a taser. It's reasonable and it's rational however that is not how the state of New Jersey will likely see it. One of the problems we have here is that what is not expressly denied is not tacitly implied to be permitted.

Knife= Lunch box fruit slicing, box cutting

Taser= Wild Dogs, or other dangerous wildlife, Bears, coyotes, squirrels and Bunnies.

• Like 2

Opinions are just like assholes, everyone has one.

I have made my decision. You need to make yours.

People Like Evan Nappen will not effect mine, one way or the other.

For a lot of reasons, I see why concealed carry firearms permits were taken away from us. Just on this GUN forum I see members  talk themselves right out of the major victory we just achieved.

Loretta Weinstien, Maybe on the GW bridge right now, ready to jump, however she read this and realizes many of you are too scared to protect yourselves, your wife or daughters!

She came down laughing, at how rough, tough guys are afraid of the NJ Laws so much they won't carry a pea Shooter.

Rapes and sexual assaults are UP in this state boys and girls.

Remember Dustin Friedland? 

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/hunt-underway-suspects-short-hills-mall-shooting-carjacking-article-1.1549107

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Downtownv said:

Knife= Lunch box fruit slicing, box cutting

Taser= Wild Dogs, or other dangerous wildlife, Bears, coyotes, squirrels and Bunnies.

You missed the point completely.  If the ONLY reason you give a cop for possessing a knife is self defense, you are boned.  I almost always carry a knife, but i'm not a moron who would tell a cop that the reason I carry a knife is for self defense.  I actually have many legitimate uses for the knife I carry (from cuttting cardboard boxes to  fudge brownies) and use it every day.

A Taser has just one single function. There is no sporting or utility purpose for a taser. 

The post DirtyDigz made is encouraging, but until it is writing, signed and stamped with the state seal, the area is too gray for my comfort level.  I am not trying to talk people out of being able to defend themselves, in fact, if it is clearly legal to carry a taser, I would be the first to promote the use of them.  What I don't want to see is a bunch of good people getting caught up in our ridiculous legal system that is set up as a snare to entrap law abiding citizens.

• Like 2

Seriously even Californians aren't so afraid of their own shadow or the fictitious laws that don't exist. I've read how guys won't bring loaded magazines to the range because King Big Mouth Nappen says it is illegal. Never had a problem and I've never read of anyone arrested for just loaded mags. Let's think about how many people were pulled over and arrested for carrying a handgun that didn't commit a crime or didn't tell the officer they had the handgun.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

Seriously even Californians aren't so afraid of their own shadow or the fictitious laws that don't exist

Many a citizen of NJ has been burned by fictitious laws.  They kinda make them up as they go along.  Ironically, it's easier to get a CCW in CA and it appears that tasers are unrestricted there too.

Like I said, the moment it is in writing, I will be first in line.  Until then I am following the tenet of: If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

• Like 1

Many a citizen of NJ has been burned by fictitious laws.  They kinda make them up as they go along.  Ironically, it's easier to get a CCW in CA and it appears that tasers are unrestricted there too.
Like I said, the moment it is in writing, I will be first in line.  Until then I am following the tenet of: If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
Everyone makes their own choices. I won't be buying a taser period, but not because of fake NJ laws.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What is pepper spray????

Useless...

My mom had one of those on her keys when I was a kid, and I sprayed myself messing around with it inside a K-Mart. I noticed it, but walked calmly to the bathroom and washed my face. Somewhere around 10...

What would it do to a determined threat?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Useless...

My mom had one of those on her keys when I was a kid, and I sprayed myself messing around with it inside a K-Mart. I noticed it, but walked calmly to the bathroom and washed my face. Somewhere around 10...

You wouldn't be that lucky with bear spray...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Downtownv said:

Bear spray contains about 1-2% OC vs Pepper spray at 10+%.  The only difference is that most pepper sprays are point blank to like 13 feet vs bear spray going 30-35 feet.

• Like 2

Ok...

And is bear spray marketed towards women for self defense? Do they make keychain versions of it, regularly sold?

Sorry, but completely different product, with a different role. Pepper spray usually has a range of 10 feet or so. Bear spray, extend it out to 30 feet.

Argue whatever you want, I don’t suggest pepper spray as this great solution. Dogs, with their respiratory system/sense of smell... there is a reason why USPS hands them to their employees. Bears... while different, yea, because what is the alternative with a 300+ pound animal with a thick skull? Deterrent is usually the better choice.

Tasers... to be perfectly honest, I hope get allowed, as more rights to citizens is always a plus, but you won’t see me buying one. If BP requires me to carry one, I will, and will train to their standards... but not going to elect to buy one or carry it when not working. And when I’m out of NJ, not having my girlfriend carry one or pepper spray. She will be carrying a firearm.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Screwball said:

Useless...

Not my point. What lawful purpose does pepper spray have...