Krdshrk

NJ Stun Gun law ruled Unconstitutional

43 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I’d like to piggyback off this.

Several weeks back I emailed the various official documents posted here to our chief. He obtained them from me first...called around to confirm.  I’ll ck back Monday to see if our town has anything “officially”.

All of my towns guys are good.” it’s a calling “ I mostly hear as the reason for their career choice.

i don’t think I need to remind anyone here , the legislature makes the laws. It’s going to be hard to change the legislature when less than 1/3 vote.

Lets not behave like BLM or Antifa here with the us vs them rhetoric. It’s unbecoming.

"it's a calling"?

Bullshit. I took the entry law enforcement exam back in 1991. There were at least 75 guys I knew taking the test that day. Not 1 of them was taking it because they wanted to "protect and serve" or it was their "calling". They wanted it for the pay, benefits, early retirement, and "fringe" benefits.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

"it's a calling"?

Bullshit. I took the entry law enforcement exam back in 1991. There were at least 75 guys I knew taking the test that day. Not 1 of them was taking it because they wanted to "protect and serve" or it was their "calling". They wanted it for the pay, benefits, early retirement, and "fringe" benefits.

AND, the God like authority as well as to have something YOU don't have, the right to protect themselves.

8 minutes ago, Downtownv said:

AND, the God like authority as well as to have something YOU don't have, the right to protect themselves.

Statements like this are a mirror. They reflect how you would act in a similar situation and describe your motivations to be a cop - ie: You think cops are like this because this is why you would want to become a cop. That doesn't mean that's why anyone else wants to become a cop.

This attitude is created by looking at the world from your own personal frame of reference, developed from your own values, ethics, and underlying personality.

Before you get your panties in a bunch, know that this is neither good nor bad.

It just is.

Taking it a step further, and I don't know if this applies to you or not, this attitude may be why you never got hired if you had ever attempted to become one.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

"it's a calling"?

And you feel  your experience 25+ years ago is a good barometer of my towns PD current selection practice , now?

Quarter century... FAIL

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

"it's a calling"?

What's wrong with taking a job for any of those reasons? Why can't it be a calling as well?

Wait let me guess - you chose your career because the pay sucks, the benefits were shit, and you were facing a horrendous retirement?

Give me a fucking break... :facepalm: 

• Like 4

I'm a medical professional, never had a desire to be in Law enforcement have SIL (Trooper) 3 nephews Locals around the country NYPD, Miami detective. I'm 65 seen a lot. It's my opinion, based on my personal observations of being around many when they are throwing back a beer. Not meant with any disdain for a tough job, I would never want to do.

The subject has been hijacked from Stun Guns and the fog of confusion on many sides.

Let's go back to trying to get some real answers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

What's wrong with taking a job for any of those reasons? Why can't it be a calling as well?

Wait let me guess - you chose your career because the pay sucks, the benefits were shit, and you were facing a horrendous retirement?

Give me a fucking break... :facepalm: 

Those are the reasons. Just don't give me bleeding heart crap that I want "to protect and serve" or "its a calling" or "I want to make a difference". Save it for the interview.

13 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Those are the reasons. Just don't give me bleeding heart crap that I want "to protect and serve" or "its a calling" or "I want to make a difference". Save it for the interview.

So, who the hell are you to tell me my personal motivations to follow my career path? You are basically calling me liar. 

It's a bonus to have the job I want and get paid well and have a nice retirement. There are sucky parts to the job too. Take a look at the news and tell me cops are only cops for the money and benefits. In today's charged climate, no one in their right mind would put up with what we deal with without at least a touch of altruism.

6 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

So, who the hell are you to tell me my personal motivations to follow my career path? You are basically calling me liar. 

It's a bonus to have the job I want and get paid well and have a nice retirement. There are sucky parts to the job too. Take a look at the news and tell me cops are only cops for the money and benefits. In today's charged climate, no one in their right mind would put up with what we deal with without at least a touch of altruism.

Well, you must be that 1 in 500,000 guy then. I'll go play the lottery tonight.

38 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Dude... cmon.

my wife and I in the last 2 years have spent a combined 400 + sumtin hours with our PD. It’s not 50 years or 25 years ago, it’s today... 

Back on topic, I’ll call tomorrow to see if “ my community PD” has anything formal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diamondd817 said:

If that is what you truly believe, and how  you truly feel, it is no wonder you didn't get hired.

Anyway, Downtownv is correct. We have strayed horribly off topic. Apologies.

Just now, Zeke said:

Yes... no school zones

Does driving by a school bus stop, dropping kids off at bus stop count as a school zone?  What about driving by a school?  What happens if you are driving to the burger joint and get pulled over in a school zone?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Does driving by a school bus stop, dropping kids off at bus stop count as a school zone?  What about driving by a school?  What happens if you are driving to the burger joint and get pulled over in a school zone?

Bro! You’re killing me! Lmao

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Bro! You’re killing me! Lmao

me too...maybe we can get a letter from the Police Chief, that would excuse us from any potential arrest. Like a "get out of jail card". ROTFL!

If you are that worried about getting in trouble, maybe just go back to the old way and don't carry one. Jeesh. I've had mine on me for a month and guess what happened? Not a frigging thing! No even a threat of needing it. If someone from 47 states read this thread, they would think we are all nuts! a taser? really?

Just now, Downtownv said:

me too...maybe we can get a letter from the Police Chief, that would excuse us from any potential arrest. Like a "get out of jail card". ROTFL!

If you are that worried about getting in trouble, maybe just go back to the old way and don't carry one. Jeesh. I've had mine on me for a month and guess what happened? Not a frigging thing! No even a threat of needing it. If someone from 47 states read this thread, they would think we are all nuts! a taser? really?

I’m pretty sure he’s being sarcastic....

1 minute ago, AlexTheSane said:

What if you're sleeping and one of those temporary school trailers is picked up by a tornado and drops it on your house?  Does your house then become a school zone and then your stun gun is in a school zone?

I did not ask that question. I’m not sure. 

Well the Toms River PD chief got back with a positive answer, and I quote: "yes that exact directive was sent out to my officers on October 24th.   You will not be charged for possession alone."

The scenario I gave was possession for all legal purposes, concealed carry, officer detects, now what? I'm happy with the response. I wanted to know if he had a directive to the rank and file in light of the memo from the NJ AG. At least if anyone in my family is somehow stopped and the officer is not in the know we can say, hey go talk to your chief, I did, he said simple possession is not an arrest-able offense.