devils4ever

Pistol Permits--Employer Questions

Hi all,

I'm thinking of applying for a couple of pistol permits in my town and I notice a spot on the form for employer info.

1. I have nothing to hide, but I'm not sure I want my employer to know I'm applying for pistol permits. I'm probably the only gun owner in the entire office and have never disclosed myself as a gun owner.

2. Even though my office is in NJ, our headquarters in in CA. (Another anti-gun state.) So, do I list the local NJ office or the CA headquarters office on the form?

3. Do they actually contact the employer? If so, do they tell them why?

Thanks.

Hi all,

I'm thinking of applying for a couple of pistol permits in my town and I notice a spot on the form for employer info.

1. I have nothing to hide, but I'm not sure I want my employer to know I'm applying for pistol permits. I'm probably the only gun owner in the entire office and have never disclosed myself as a gun owner.

2. Even though my office is in NJ, our headquarters in in CA. (Another anti-gun state.) So, do I list the local NJ office or the CA headquarters office on the form?

Thanks.

Depends on the municipality (or NJSP barracks).  They might. If they're an "anti-gun" municipality, they might do all of that and tell your employer why they are asking. I suspect that most municipalities  probably would not, but this is not guaranteed. I solved that problem by putting my own business entity in that info.  So, if they were to call, they'd be calling me anyway. :D  I was once told that the original intent of asking was only to ensure the candidate is gainfully employed and is not having "financial difficulties" (and, thus, might potentially use the gun for armed robbery, etc.).  Not sure about that, but... 

Local Office on the form because that is where you physically work -  I haven't read it personally as I'm not an employer but on the references it basically just asks if you are a drunk, felon, domestic abuser, loser, or if they feel there is a reason you should be denied a Firearms ID or a permit to purchase a pistol - and if they answer yes they have to explain in great detail -

"I don't like guns and my company doesn't" is not a good answer for that one -

For what its worth my last rounds of permits they didn't even send letters out to my references or employers -

I would always recommend providing the contact info for your company's HR dept., if it's big enough to have one. 

The HR dept. most likely has a  policy to only give out a minimum of information to anyone inquiring about one of their employees ("yes, they are employed here, but our policy prohibits offering any opinions on whether they should own a firearm.")

I think I live in a pretty gun friendly town. My son got his FID a couple of years ago and they did contact his references, but he was a student and unemployed.

I'm not sure how put in my employer info. There are only 30 or so employees in my office and the office manager/receptionist is not there for days at a time. We do have a few bosses, but I'm not sure they would even get it if it came in the mail. HR is not located in this office.

I think I live in a pretty gun friendly town. My son got his FID a couple of years ago and they did contact his references, but he was a student and unemployed.

I'm not sure how put in my employer info. There are only 30 or so employees in my office and the office manager/receptionist is not there for days at a time. We do have a few bosses, but I'm not sure they would even get it if it came in the mail. HR is not located in this office.

I think they would call, not write.  They would write the personal references because there's a standard form that is sent out.

As for whom to put down, that's your call. Unless you trust your immediate supervisor with that knowledge, then the safest bet is to have them call  HR (as stated above) where they can only give out so much info. 

As everyone else had noted; it depends on the town. I list my employer, but put my direct office line as the contact number.

I always figured that if they call to check, best case I verify my own employment, worst case I transfer them to Human Resources.

My town had never called.

Employer information is for verification of employment only. It is not meant as a third reference and any PD's that do so are abusing their authority. According to NJAC 13:54-1.15 they are not to disclose the purpose of the inquiry either.

That is what the law says - what your PD may do is another matter. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 3

Never did my employer ever get a phone call.  If they did I would know about it (Small family owned Pro-2A business).  Between years ago getting my initial FID and purchase permits, and my latest round of permits and FID Change of address...Not once did they contact my employer.  And only the initial FID did they ever contact my references.  No contact of references the second time around.  I wouldn't worry about it.  And regardless - Even if they did, I highly doubt it would raise an eyebrow, unless you work for the Clinton Campaign?

As everyone else had noted; it depends on the town. I list my employer, but put my direct office line as the contact number.

I always figured that if they call to check, best case I verify my own employment, worst case I transfer them to Human Resources.

My town had never called.

^ this.

Notice is says employer, not anything like primary employer.  So offer to bring your neighbor's mail in everyday next month for $1.  They are now one of your employers, so go ahead and use their name and address.  You have not broken any law - they screwed up when they asked the questions.  Screw them!

I was in the same spot a few years ago.  My office in NJ, our headquarters in CA... presumably anti-gun.  Years forward I realize most are pro-gun in my CA office and could care less (company owner used to take clients out to the range after meetings!).  There are lots of pro-2A people in cali...  they just dont really speak up about it.

The call to your employer is usually a quick 2 second call - "Does so-and-so work here?  Yes.  Ok thanks bye". 

Employer information is for verification of employment only. It is not meant as a third reference and any PD's that do so are abusing their authority. According to NJAC 13:54-1.15 they are not to disclose the purpose of the inquiry either.

That is what the law says - what your PD may do is another matter. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This ^^^^ 

My PD calls just to verify what you put down is real, make sure its not VanDelay Industries lol...They called on time when I was off, co worker said hey the PD called yesterday just asking if you worked here, that was it. 

• Like 1

I always list self-employed, which is true for me because I do day trading and other odd things to make money, all of which I report on my taxes. Not sure if it's legal to put that if it's not true though, but they've never called me to verify that I employ myself.

This ^^^^

My PD calls just to verify what you put down is real, make sure its not VanDelay Industries lol...They called on time when I was off, co worker said hey the PD called yesterday just asking if you worked here, that was it.

None-Ya Business

• Like 1

This ^^^^ 

What is with this slight to VanDelay?  I've worked there for years and it is a GREAT organization !

I always list self-employed, which is true for me because I do day trading and other odd things to make money, all of which I report on my taxes. Not sure if it's legal to put that if it's not true though, but they've never called me to verify that I employ myself.

Same

Hi all,

Thanks.

Devils:  I'm not picking on you.  I know lots of NJ residents who own guns and feel exactly the same way.  But...this is a big part of our problem.  If it's true that 1 million NJ residents own guns, that means everybody knows dozens of gun owners but assumes that nobody they know would own a gun.

This just helps further the false message that only dangerous scary people own guns.  I really wish that everyone who owned a gun behaved as if they had done nothing wrong and had nothing to be ashamed of.  Imagine if every anti-gun person living in NJ had to face the reality that a dozen perfectly normal people that they are related to, work with, know from church, do business with, and like and respect are gun owners.  It might force some people to accept the reality that gun ownership isn't a dirty shameful secret that we should hide.

• Like 1

Devils: I'm not picking on you. I know lots of NJ residents who own guns and feel exactly the same way. But...this is a big part of our problem. If it's true that 1 million NJ residents own guns, that means everybody knows dozens of gun owners but assumes that nobody they know would own a gun.

This just helps further the false message that only dangerous scary people own guns. I really wish that everyone who owned a gun behaved as if they had done nothing wrong and had nothing to be ashamed of. Imagine if every anti-gun person living in NJ had to face the reality that a dozen perfectly normal people that they are related to, work with, know from church, do business with, and like and respect are gun owners. It might force some people to accept the reality that gun ownership isn't a dirty shameful secret that we should hide.

Bud, it's like trump shaming. It's just gun shaming.

I know my town doesn't contact my employer because the office is so small if they called they would have got me, and I'm the one who opens the mail. 

But that aside, if employment is not statutorily required for owning a gun, why are they verifying employment?

Obviously every town is different. When I was in Hoboken, they would send out a letter that disclosed my intent to buy firearms each and every time I applied for permits. I listed my direct manager, who simply completed the form and returned it. It was DEFINTELY a third reference letter.

They also continued to gave out extra forms, even after the Jersey City case that clarified they were illegal. I hope they have changed their method, but I won't hold my breath for that.