devils4ever

Pistol Permits--Employer Questions

I know my town doesn't contact my employer because the office is so small if they called they would have got me, and I'm the one who opens the mail. 

But that aside, if employment is not statutorily required for owning a gun, why are they verifying employment?

Duh, So they can use it against you if the info turns out to be false or uncovers some disadvantageous info. 

Thats the beauty of the Govt forms. They will ask for everything including your first born, but the burden is on you to read, understand and provide information as appropriate. 

I haven't put in for a permit in a couple of years, but my town definitely contacted my employer every time I applied. They mailed a full reference form that was essentially identical to the personal reference form.

It was a hassle, because I worked for a giant multinational that crapped their pants about everything. They do not confirm employment and use a 3rd party service. Every application was delayed while the police waited for a form that was never coming. Each time the detective would tell me he made a note in my file and each time they would wait for the letter to come back. I reminded the detective each time, he would say, "oh yeah," and still send the reference. On the second or third reminder call they would finally accept no response and process my permits.

Most of the cops were pretty pleasant to deal with, but it still delayed me by a couple weeks each time.