TheMan

LEO exemption 1 gun a month

I read 2c. I think that's temporary transfer. But just wondering how i go about it. I picked up an xdm on the 1st. But i also have a p320 paid for that i want to carry off duty. When want to pickup do i just notify ffl im LE? Id like to pickup asap.

Title 2C - THE NEW JERSEY CODE OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE

Section 2C:58-3 - Purchase of firearms.

i.Restriction on number of firearms person may purchase. Only one handgun shall be purchased or delivered on each permit and no more than one handgun shall be purchased within any 30-day period, but this limitation shall not apply to:

(1)a federal, State or local law enforcement officer or agency purchasing handguns for use by officers in the actual performance of their law enforcement duties;

It was really meant to be used because most depts require officers to purchase their own gun and if you wanted to buy an pff duty you didn't have to wait. The whole 30 day system is a joke. Its the only perk one gets as LEO. Everything else is the as civilian or law enforcement

That is NOT an exemption for personal firearms.    LEO's have to follow the law like everyone else.  An cop that tries that and risks his job is an idiot. 

I sure hope so - the wife of a corrections officer I know tried to post on FB recently that BX25 mags for a Ruger 10/22 are "perks of the job" since hes in LE, which I quickly slammed and then she backtracked and said it was meant to be a joke.....

Ricky_Bobby, on 14 Nov 2016 - 2:38 PM, said:

I sure hope so - the wife of a corrections officer I know tried to post on FB recently that BX25 mags for a Ruger 10/22 are "perks of the job" since hes in LE, which I quickly slammed and then she backtracked and said it was meant to be a joke.....

I know a corrections officer that was jacked up for having 30 round AR mags.  He had a negligent discharge while cleaning one of his weapons and the police responded to call from a neighbor.  They took his AR and his 30 round mags. 

• Like 1

^^Good - and that's how it should be - if NJ wasn't so stupid a lot of these guy could have 2 extra rounds on the job carrying a Glock 17, etc

We have 20 round steel mags and 30 round PMAGs in my dept. They are also talking about adopting the p320 9mm which (if they do) has 17 round mags standard. What your dept. issues you for duty use is obviously subject to different rules.

Remember that these rules only allow for certain exemptions while in service with your department and in good standing. Don't think LEOs have a free pass to run around doing whatever they want. 

/rant

Carrying a gun as a LEO is not a "perk", it is a duty. It is not there just for their protection, but the protection of others as well. When a LEO uses the weapon, they bear all the burden and risk associated. Even in a justified situation, the officer will go through a lot of investigation/ review before their life can return to "normal." 

/end rant.

As a LEO, I can carry mags with more than 15 rounds on duty or when acting in an official capacity. It's when I am shooting for myself or using mags that are personally owned that it gets tricky...

I apologize I wasn't more clear, long day at the office - off duty its just as crucial to protect your life and your family's life as on duty IMO - which is why I will never understand things like magazine restrictions, and Vicious I understand your rant completely, it's not a "perk" of the job so to speak because there is a ton of scrutiny once you discharge, however us non-LEO citizens see it as something that is special to you guys because you are actually able to carry for self defense when not on the job, which we are not able to - besides a couple states and DC besides ours, most of the country does not see things the way that NJ citizens do, because we are "disarmed" so to speak.

As a LEO, I can carry mags with more than 15 rounds on duty or when acting in an official capacity. It's when I am shooting for myself or using mags in a personal or unofficial role without permission that it gets tricky...

which from what i can read is the way the law is written.  plenty of LEO i know roll the dice because they know they will most likely get away with it if caught.  that is, as long as their wives don't turn on them.