NYMetsFan86

Turkey Hunting....advice, input....your 2 cents

I finally stopped dragging my feet about getting my hunting license. I have everything filled out and ready to go. I'm hoping to be ready to hunt for spring turkey.

What are some recommendations, pitfalls, advice, etc. regarding turkey hunting, and specifically turkey hunting in NJ. I have a shotgun and chokes, i've only ever used it for skeet/trap.

The only thing I know about turkey hunting is what I've seen on Outdoor Network and Sportsman's channel, on a plane (if it has direct tv) too and from FL for work once a month. Ya I know I skimped on cable...I'll have to go internet warrior on gobbler info, but im interested in all of your experiences. Thanks

• Learn how and when to call. Lot's of "how to" instructional tapes/CD's out there on the subject

Locate birds. (They have their spots in spring, summer, fall and winter. If you don't know what turkey sign looks like, wait until winter and in snow and you can find their tracks. 

Procure a few different turkey loads with an appropriate tight choke and pattern your gun for various distances out to 40 yds. You'll want the ability to make multiple hits on the head/neck of a turkey at various distances. How well your gun patterns will determine the maximum distance you can ethically extend your shots to. 

• Like 1

Watch out for ticks. Wear pantyhose, long-sleeve skin tight top, and spray down your outer layer with permethrin. On my few hunting attempts, those are all I've been successful in finding (or  they were successful in finding me, I should say).

Be very mindful of wind direction when urinating.