Malice4you

did NJ police get new license plates?

On Thursday, I was on 287N when a convoy of 3 police SUVs passed me. When I saw them in my side view mirrors, I could tell they were cops, but they had blue license plates, similar to the plates NJ had from the early 90s, which threw me. All three were marked with different NJ town names, but I couldn't read the state on them as they went by at 85-95. If they were from out of state, they share names with NJ towns. I have seen similar plates on other state's police cars, but never in NJ.

I'll be real disappointed if these will be the new NJ plates when I just got custom ones a few months ago in the ugly NJ yellow and beige.

From googling, the closest I have found is

RISPcv-yukon.jpg

However, the plates I saw had I believe just "police" diagonally from upper left to middle bottom (similar to US Gov plates), with 3 or 4 normal-sized characters.  I know that at least 2 of the SUVs were K9 units, but I don't remember if that was on the plates or just marked on the vehicle itself.  The blue background was closer to that of NJ's old blue license plates or PA police plates (http://buckslocalnews.com/content/articles/2013/02/26/yardley_news/news/doc5112bb611e9ef2858712651.jpg )

I haven't seen these sort of plates. I've noticed a lot of municipal police have "MG" on their plates for municipal government I think followed by 5 numbers. But it looks like they are now excluding MG and just using letters and numbers.

The NJSP started doing this, several years ago. Both the marked and unmarked cars used to have "SPx-nnn" (or if out of Troop D on the NJ Turnpike then "TPx-nnn").  But I think, now, they all use the std. letter/number combinations.  It was one of the ways we could figure out an unmarked car was a Trooper crusier. That and the black wall tires, the "half moon" silver hubs, and the driver in the blue shirt... :D

The NJSP started doing this, several years ago. Both the marked and unmarked cars used to have "SPx-nnn" (or if out of Troop D on the NJ Turnpike then "TPx-nnn").  But I think, now, they all use the std. letter/number combinations.  It was one of the ways we could figure out an unmarked car was a Trooper crusier. That and the black wall tires, the "half moon" silver hubs, and the driver in the blue shirt... :D

As well as the 13 antennas and heavily tinted windows all the way around! Not obvious at all!

• Like 1

I've always been familiar with MG , MU, CG, SP, SG police plates on a normal NJ plate background. I know that they have gotten sneakier with standard plates on some cars these days, which is what threw me about the ones I saw. They immediately stood out, which helps identify a police vehicle, which is great for marked vehicles. It would be funny if they were required to use these plates on all police vehicles, including unmarked ones.

I've always been familiar with MG , MU, CG, SP, SG police plates on a normal NJ plate background. I know that they have gotten sneakier with standard plates on some cars these days, which is what threw me about the ones I saw. They immediately stood out, which helps identify a police vehicle, which is great for marked vehicles. It would be funny if they were required to use these plates on all police vehicles, including unmarked ones.

Well, other municipal vehicles use the "MG/MU" tags. Fire and EMS apparatus that are purchased by a municipality can use those tags.  Most volunteer EMS units in NJ use "NFx-nnn" plates which means "No Fee..."  meaning they can zip through things like GSP toll plazas, etc. 

Oh, I'm aware of that, things like sewer/water/road departments will have MG/MU plates (or CG for county vehicles).  Most of those, you can tell are not police vehicles (unless cops really are going deep undercover with dump truck patrol vehicles).  The fleet vehicles a town uses for various other functions can be distracting on the road (for people who actually pay attention), since they usually look like undercover cop cars (though not always with the tints and million antennas).  It is always funny to see the random oblivious speeder blow by a marked police vehicle also driving on the highway and immediately get pulled over for their stupidity.

I never paid attention to the EMS plates however, that is interesting to learn.

So you're saying I shoulda gotten NFHRDR or something as a custom license plate so I could drive on GSP/TP for free? :D

Oh, I'm aware of that, things like sewer/water/road departments will have MG/MU plates (or CG for county vehicles).  Most of those, you can tell are not police vehicles (unless cops really are going deep undercover with dump truck patrol vehicles).  The fleet vehicles a town uses for various other functions can be distracting on the road (for people who actually pay attention), since they usually look like undercover cop cars (though not always with the tints and million antennas).  It is always funny to see the random oblivious speeder blow by a marked police vehicle also driving on the highway and immediately get pulled over for their stupidity.

I never paid attention to the EMS plates however, that is interesting to learn.

So you're saying I shoulda gotten NFHRDR or something as a custom license plate so I could drive on GSP/TP for free? :D

Well, I don't know what it takes to get NF plates, these days, nor do I know if toll road authorities still honor them....  Times are getting a lot tougher, now.  :dontknow:

NF is for Non-profit foundation not "no fee"

What does the "NF" mean on NJ License Plates?

Wikipedia - Vehicle Registration Plates of New Jersey...

8cIvXLe.jpg

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Commercial/pvt.htm

As part of the "PVT and You" program:

The registration fees and insurance coverage requirements will not increase.

Vehicles will be required to be brought annually to a State Inspection Facility or an MVC licensed Private Inspection Facility to:

Be inspected for the applicable emission test

Be examined for mechanical defects

Meet all applicable Federal Motor Carriers Safety Standards

Vehicles that currently qualify for “no fee” registration will continue to receive “no fee” registration, however, their plates will designate their “use” rather than “no fee” (NF).

So, perhaps they have changed recently but, originally, they did mean "No Fee."

Most municipal government vehicles utilize the standard MG tags.  They used to be MGXXXXX but are now XXXXXMG.
State Police is either SP, TP, or other variations depending upon which area the vehicle is used for (Turnpike, GSP, AC Expressway, etc)
Unmarked vehicles may have confidential plates which start with an X.
So far none of the vehicles I've seen or worked on have had the plates you've said, I know some departments kinda make their own plates because they wanna be different so maybe it was that.