shooter28

Help me decide my future

Hey guys. Hoping to pick your brains. I've always wanted to get into the long range game but torn for what rifle to get. I wish I could do both but don't have the money or space at the moment. Both options are 6.5CM

My options:

1) Custom gun built by Accurate Ordnance. Stiller tac30 action, bartlein barrel, xlr industries chassis, timney trigger.

2) Ruger Precision Rifle. Maybe swap the barrel for one of LRI match-grade drop in barrels. Possibly change the hand guard to SLR.

Obviously the custom gun will cost the most. Just trying to decide it would be worth the extra $1000 dollars. I don't mind spending more for tangible results.

The Ruger is a great starter for anyone getting into this discipline. Plenty of aftermarket available and can be easily upgraded as your skills improve.  No need to jump into full blown expensive gear before knowing if this is what you really want to pursue.  You have no idea what really floats you boat. start slow, get experience. see what you really want.

If you're on a budget and/or unsure get the Ruger in 6.5Creedmore or .243.  Or a Savage.  The Savage rifles are fun as you can barrel swap in the basement with $100 bucks worth of specialty tools.

If you have the cash, give Tier1 Defense a call(they're Jersey boys).  Mike or Kevin will walk you thru it.  

Good luck.

I talked to Mike today at Tier 1. Super helpful. I will definitely be using him for my build, regardless of which way I go. Basically me and Mike narrowed it down to the action itself. Do I want a Ruger or Remington based action?

Anybody here have both and care to offer your opinion?

If you're new to precision rifles, are somewhat on a budget, the its a no brainer- get the Ruger.  You just cannot get anything else, at that price point, that compares.  The Ruger is far from a beginner's PR.  In fact, with a few tweaks to the rifle, as your skill grows, you may never need a big dollar custom (unless you get to PRS level shooting).  Honestly, its THAT good.

*edit- I have a high end custom and my buddy has a Ruger, both in 6.5C.  We don't suck too badly at shooting.

That's kinda what I'm leaning towards. I've been doing a lot of research and I think the RPR with the LCI barrel will do just fine. I really like the chassis/stock that comes with it. I might change the forgrip but that's easy. Timney released a new trigger if I ever desire to change that. I figure in the unfortunate event that I ever need to sell this, I could probably get more of my money back too

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/saryan25/IMG_5487.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/saryan25/IMG_5476.jpg

This looks perfect to me. Gotta re supply the gun fund now

Yea the thought crossed my mind. The more Ive read about the Ruger, the more I want to go that direction. I really like the chassis that comes from the factory and it accepts all sorts of mags. Ill be replacing the barrel with one from LRI right off the bat so I know it will be a shooter. Def going for 6.5CM.

• Like 1

Picked up a Gen2 6.5CM RPR this weekend. KentuckyGunCo was having a sale and I got it out the door for under $1200. I have a LRI 6.5CM match barrel sitting in the box at my apt. Cut and chambered for the 140/143 ELD and ELD-X rounds. A MLOK SLR Ion handguard is also in the corner waiting and will replace the keymod factory piece. Heading over to see Mike tomorrow night....

When I get the factory bits off, Ill put them up for sale if anyone is interested.

Just gotta save up for glass now. Im thinking Vortex Razor Gen1

On 11/18/2016 at 10:56 AM, Rob0115 said:

Marry a hot girl with a lot of money.  That's the best advice I can give.  

"Somebody slap me... I'm way too happy!"

John Anderson 

Mine also shoots her own pistols.

Picking this up from Mike @Tier1 tonight.

35756632313_865c032c4c_b.jpg20746372_681927912004492_220177328282701538_o by ryan19vic, on Flickr

LRI 24" 6.5CM Barrel

15" SLR Ion Lite Handguard

XLR Tactical Stock

Larue A-PEG grip

Cerakote: Coyote Tan and Patriot Brown

• Like 1