Malsua

Supermoon

Yeah, I know...it's everywhere.

I went down to the clubhouse near my house and shot it over the water.  This is a vertical composite.  I shot the water, lifted up and shot the moon.

Canon 80D with my 150-600mm lens at 600mm.  

moon2048.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks...took that at about 6pm tonight.   The moon had just cleared the trees on the ridge on the other side of the lake.  The cool thing is you can see the shadows of the trees in the water on the other side of the lake.

I also have a 30 second exposure of the water but it was way too smooth and frankly blown out.  That moon is bright tonight!

Great shot. I took my telescope out last night to get a good look. I have a great moon filter for it but no photographic ability and my wife wasn't home. So no pics.

Great shot. I took my telescope out last night to get a good look. I have a great moon filter for it but no photographic ability and my wife wasn't home. So no pics.

Thanks.  It was a big moon, but this is a massive(4lb) zoom lens that makes it look huge.   My tripod is a piece of garbage and even with a 10 second countdown timer, it was STILL shaking slightly.   I'm going to have to finally buy a decent Manfrotto.

I shot it on Manual.

F/6.3, ISO100, 1/400, 600mm(960mm@35mm equivalent)

Thanks.  It was a big moon, but this is a massive(4lb) zoom lens that makes it look huge.   My tripod is a piece of garbage and even with a 10 second countdown timer, it was STILL shaking slightly.   I'm going to have to finally buy a decent Manfrotto.

I shot it on Manual.

F/6.3, ISO100, 1/400, 600mm(960mm@35mm equivalent)

Try using mirror lockup and a cable release.  You really also need to significantly underexpose that big bright blob :)  Time exposure of the moon can be problematic as the earth is moving at about 1,000 miles per hour so even if you lock the camera on a perfectly still platform it is still moving in relationship to the moon.

Try using mirror lockup and a cable release.  You really also need to significantly underexpose that big bright blob :)  Time exposure of the moon can be problematic as the earth is moving at about 1,000 miles per hour so even if you lock the camera on a perfectly still platform it is still moving in relationship to the moon.

I tried a number of different exposure settings and Fstops until I got something reasonable.    Every time I was touching the fiddling with exposure or whatever, I was shifting the frame a little.    I finally had something decent, shot, shifted the exposure, lifted, shot.   I actually wanted to try stacking like 10 shots of the moon itself but the shitty tripod won and I gave up. heh.   I have a really good studio tripod at work, but I only have this crappy cheapy at home. 

Wow - that's a pretty one.

Thanks...in some ways it has more character than a full moon.  Specially when everyone and their brother is currently photoshopping them into everything. heh.   Some are pretty funny.  I saw one of those 50's movie covers with everyone running while looking back and there was the supermoon.

For long exposures you can use an equatorial telescope mount thats motorized. Kind of pricey but if you do a lot of night sky shots it cold be worth it. Have to align it though. New fangled scopes have one touch auto alignment.

Did some of that a long time ago with a low end Nikon EM.