Sign in to follow this  
DeerSlayer

A little Steelhead and Salmon Action.

Awesome are you fly fishing??

Spinning reel. I forgot all my Rod's home. I did bring my reels at least. Had to go buy a new noodle rod. Opened my travel tube on Saturday morning to jump in the river at dawn, and it was empty! I forgot my last trip last month I took them out and put them back on my rack in the garage. I was pissed. But I bought a nice new G Loomis 8.5' noodle. Been working. I wasn't laying out another $300 for a fly rod too lol... next time I'll double check, expensive mistake. Such a rookie move. In the 15 years I've been coming up here I've never left my rods home... maybe next week I'll go bow hunting with just the case lol...
  • Like 1

It's flowing pretty good. Oswego has so much water it's unfishable.

nice. Last time I was up there the run was late because the water was so low the fish could not make it over the sandbar at the mouth of the river because the river was so low. Be careful when that river runs high it's a killer.

nice. Last time I was up there the run was late because the water was so low the fish could not make it over the sandbar at the mouth of the river because the river was so low. Be careful when that river runs high it's a killer.

I've seen it at all different levels depending on rain fall. This is my 15th year going. Some years are better runs than others. Usually salmon are done by now, but they're still in heavy because of low water early this season. I was up here Columbus day weekend last month, and it was like a trickle in comparison to now.

No salmon in Champlain I'm aware of. I'm in Mexico/Pulaski NY. Ontario tributaries. Land locked lake Salmon and Trout.

Ah.  There are but not in big numbers.  They're working on restoring the population apparently.

http://lakechamplainlife.com/lake-champlain-salmon-restoration-successful-in-2014/

• Like 1

Ah. There are but not in big numbers. They're working on restoring the population apparently.

http://lakechamplainlife.com/lake-champlain-salmon-restoration-successful-in-2014/

Awesome! NJ has 3 lakes with landlocked salmon as well. All near my house, but I've never been able to catch any. Tilcon, Wawaeaynda, and Aeroflex lakes.

Honestly dont expect anything.  Its been a difficult year (as have the past few).  Add to it the fact that catching steelhead on the swing is a low numbers game to begin with....It will be nice to just be on the river for a couple hours spey casting.  Hopefully I can drag Dad out for a few casts.  Would be magical to get him his first steelhead on xmas eve.  

• Like 1

Honestly dont expect anything. Its been a difficult year (as have the past few). Add to it the fact that catching steelhead on the swing is a low numbers game to begin with....It will be nice to just be on the river for a couple hours spey casting. Hopefully I can drag Dad out for a few casts. Would be magical to get him his first steelhead on xmas eve.

Good luck, there still in there usually through January. If you don't mind the drive from Pulaski, Watertown is usually awesome for steelhead and browns this time of year, If you can handle the cold.