NJGF

What Gun Would Be Easiest To Use By A Female With Zero Training For Self Defense

No but I have suggested female only classes and instructors.

If she ever goes for that, I can recommend the female intro class as GunForHire. I told my wife I would buy the class for her as a gift and she got over her jitters enough to sign up. She was pretty nervous before but came home proud of her target at the end.

She still says she doesn't like guns as a hobby but feels a lot more comfortable. At least she knows how to load & unload safely.

• Like 4

Ok, so enough with the dancing. Why not just tell us why she won't get training?

Nobody is trying to bust your balls here.

We just don't want anyone to get hurt.

Your asking us to recommend a gun for someone we do not know. You are an avid gun owner that has been around here for quite some time. I'd like to think you'd know best what you/she needs. Why put us in a corner to help make a decision without knowing the facts? Again, we are not trying to make things difficult but you should know the gun community in here by now. I'd guess most of us had some sort of training and would only recommend the same.

If at this point, I'd recommend you contact Sandy at the SAW Group. An all female membership. She and the gang are great with other females and can easily put her at ease rather than feel out of place with the guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you John :)

She really doesn't want anything to do with guns (like many people I have met). I wanted this info so I can gently make suggestions to convince her otherwise. I was able to get her to go to a range one time but not get out of the car. Small steps.

I didnt' read all the posts but can easily sum it up. If it is someone you care to work on, take baby steps and try to get her to the range. Our monthly meet ups are posted all over FB. Let me know if you need a PM with more info.

If you think the juice is worth the squeeze, I'd be willing to meet up NEAR the range for a few drinks and talk about it. Can make a range date from there if she likes ( not same day as drinks though lol ).  

• Like 2

I will train her for free, and even supply guns and ammo and range time, at the range. On at least how to use whatever firearm she wants to get.

This is crazy talk. We don't let 10 year old kids hunt without firearm safety training, it's no different for adults in my opinion. Without any kind of training, she would probably be better off without a gun.

I own some very female friendly guns. And I will even bring another trained female with me to make her feel more comfortable, than just shooting alone with a strange guy.

• Like 1

If you want to turn someone off to shooting a small frame, lightweight, short barrel 38 is the way to go.

2" LCR running 38 (non +p) is pretty tame even with full 158 grain loads ( and she's not practicing anyway so what the hell. :) ) I get the point that some don't like snubbie revolvers but they are simple as heck to use and for defensive use 3 - 5 yards I am talking about, there's not a lot of thought process involved.  I've tried an LCR and a S&W J frame and no contest the LCR was way better to shoot.

Here's what policeone.com had to say:

"The feature noticed readily by all who shot the LCR test revolver is the surprisingly light recoil. Firing five rounds of 158 grain +P in a brand “S” aluminum framed revolver will make your hand sting, even with the best rubber grips. The slightly lighter Ruger LCR is conspicuously softer in recoil. The soft, Hogue boot grips help dramatically in the recoil reduction equation, especially with an even softer-than normal cushion where the grips hit the web of your firing hand, between the thumb and first finger. The Hogue grips also have a blue-colored inner layer of a different density material where the polymer peg of the LCR’s “frame” pushes rearward into the one-piece grip. Ruger and Hogue teamed up to tame the traditionally sharp recoil of a lightweight .38, and they did their job well."

https://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/handguns/articles/2010527-Product-Review-Ruger-LCR-Double-Action-Revolver/

Seriously, 38 to me is a pretty nice defensive round. I just got some of the new Interceptor copper-polymer rounds and they are only 83 grains so much more mild then I am used to and most reviews say for home defensive distances they are good to go. They are at over 1200 fps which is pretty fast for a 38 but the recoil in a 4" barrel is noticeably less then say blazer brass with 158gr FMJ. I can only assume that would translate to a 2" barrel in the same way.

This is a review of the 380 and 9mm but the 38 special is right around the same ballistics range as the 9mm.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/04/shootingthebull410/ammo-quest-polycase-arx-inceptor-in-380-acp-and-9mm/

But yeah, for a beginner, you guys are right I guess, stick with something more obviously friendly.

-Jim

I own some very female friendly guns. And I will even bring another trained female with me to make her feel more comfortable, than just shooting alone with a strange guy.

I have to ask...what would those be? A female friendly gun. I'm honestly asking, because we have at this point taught over 100 ( close to 200 hundred last we counted) women to take their first shots?

Is there a G19 with a hidden tampon well I don't know about?

( forgive my humor. It is tongue and cheek and not meant to insult. I appreciate any attempt to help new shooters) 

• Like 5

I have to ask...what would those be? A female friendly gun. I'm honestly asking, because we have at this point taught over 100 ( close to 200 hundred last we counted) women to take their first shots?

( forgive my humor. It is tongue and cheek and not meant to insult. I appreciate any attempt to help new shooters)

I think I the biggest turn off to teaching new female shooters is they think that they will be treated differently than a male shooter. What can be more condescending than saying "Here, this is a girl's gun. See? It's little and pink and shoots these little bullets so you won't be scared...."

There aren't any "female friendly" firearms. There are just firearms. The same process you would go through to teach a male shooter should be followed for a female shooter.

The shooter should pick what they want to own and shoot after progressing to the point they are comfortable with their chosen weapon. Whether you as a shooter end up wanting a pink gun that shoots .22lr, or a chrome .44Mag, or something in the middle - as long as you are comfortable, have a solid base of gun safety, and are fully grounded in the advantages and limitations of your chosen piece, you are good to go - regardless if you are a man or a woman.

• Like 7

HE is right on. I have seen males that cant grasp the concept of fundamentals. Its not a male-female thing.

I have found females to be more open minded and better learners than males. It just is what it is.

^^^ this 100%

A female that wants to learn to shoot is a better stundent by a factor of ten than their male counterparts.

• Like 2

^^^ this 100%

A female that wants to learn to shoot is a better stundent by a factor of ten than their male counterparts.

So true. The 4-10 agent in my office (I think she was really 4-9) could out shoot 90%+ of the people in the office with a G17, 640, M4, or 870. Women I have taught MP5 usually have the fundamentals of auto fire down in the first few magazines. They just need to refine the motor skills of manipulating the weapon after that. I taught a woman handgun. She is literally a rocket scientist. She went from not being able to hit a B27 target at 7 yds to double tapping a 1911 in the X ring with a 1911 at 15 yd in about 10 hrs of one on one instruction.

Women are much easier to teach than men. They listen and apply what you tell them.

• Like 1

I will train her for free, and even supply guns and ammo and range time, at the range. On at least how to use whatever firearm she wants to get.

This is crazy talk. We don't let 10 year old kids hunt without firearm safety training, it's no different for adults in my opinion. Without any kind of training, she would probably be better off without a gun.

Cindy and I would be willing to help out also. RTSP i assume?

I have to agree with the consensus that some training is imperative in order to be safe.

Despite her aversion to 12 and 20 gauge shotguns Cindy can shoot a S&W model 36 with great accuracy, And wanted me to add that the LCR sucks. We both hated it. She does however love the GP 100.

S&W .500 of course. From there we move down to a .22
  • Like 2

S&W Model 642, in .38 Special. Or, any of the Ruger .22LR target pistols, although .22LR is finicky enough such that she'd regularly have to deal with clearing malfunctions, which isn't exactly beginner-level stuff.

A 642 or any J frame revolver is in no way a beginner gun or easy to shoot. Probably the quickest way to turn a new shooter off is with that type of gun. If I had to recommend a 22 I would recommend the 22 Win Mag. A little more reliable and powerful than a 22lr, with a negligible amount more of recoil.

Without being nosey, are you 100% sure your assumption is right? That she is thoroughly unwilling to be trained? Maybe if you encouraged her to try a shooting class for women, she might find it less intimidating? Has she even been to a range?

I went to a range for the first time because there was a murder in my neighborhood and my NRA-card carrying uncle was on the phone to me as soon as it hit the news (like... instantly). Frankly, I went to the range just to get him to stop bugging me. I never thought I'd enjoy it so much... I would have rolled on the floor laughing if you told me I'd be a gun owner one day.

So, I would tend to explore her resistance first. It seems you're putting the cart before the horse. Willingness to learn seems like a pretty big prerequisite to owning a firearm IMO.

But, others on here are smarter than me about this stuff... let's let them weigh in. Just adding my 2 cents.

Mrs Peel rocks.  Many new shooters are women these days, I think OP should rethink the she won't get trained.  I wouldn't provide a firearm or recommendation to someone who didn't want to at least see what happens when you pull the trigger in a controlled situation.  My wife carries, isn't really into shooting but comes once a month to practice to be proficient in a bad situation.  

Anyway, I'd get a .357 revolver and load it with .38 critical defense ammo.

• Like 1