JayWilling

Old Sig Pro SP 2022 9mm Fun.

Funny story...I've had a Sig Pro SP 2022 in 9mm for 10 years...WAY before they were cheap and WAY before they were cool. I believe it was their first polymer frame pistol.

There seem to be a lot of fanboys on the Youtube showing them off now, but ten years ago, people looked at me like I had two heads when I showed it to them. This one has "Frame made in Germany" but the upper has no such info. Still, I think it is of a different generation than what is out there being sold for under $500 today.

I'm not a high volume shooter but over 10 years I've shot 8K of all kinds of factory loads, hand loads, lead heads, all of it, through this little trooper with not ONE new part.

DSC01911_zpshnltr48l.jpg

The funny part of the story is that it has never had one hiccup, so I have never gone farther than a field strip. I know, pretty shabby of me and bordering on Sig abuse, but I just didn't think about it.

So yesterday I went out to my club to shoot this old girl and my new Gold Cup that is still dirty...intending to pop off a few then do a nice cleanup.

20161119_100454_zpsxwr7qtrz.jpg

Beautiful day, 62 degrees in NJ in mid November, what's not to like?  9 rounds into it we have a very rare FTE. I cleared all but the spent casing that was still in the barrel and when I closed the slide everything locked up. Could NOT budge the slide...it was locked hard with the barrel.

So I shot the 45 for a little then headed home. I did a little yard work then started messing with the Sig.
After thinking about the problem and noodling with it I managed to get the breakdown lever/barrel stud out and got the slide off. A little careful tapping got everything cleared, then I had to really drive the spent casing out of the barrel. It had expanded, jammed in the barrel, and the ejector wouldn't let loose so, JAMMMM!  In hindsight I might have been able to get purchase on the extractor and flex enough to break loose, so there is a lesson learned.  Anyway, at that point I thought, "I've never taken this thing down". Off I went, and we ended up like this:

20161119_135650_zpsbpodrw65.jpg

I had always thought the gun didn't loosen up all that much over the years, but it was actually the gobs of oily dirt-muck all over everything that made it feel that way. After cleaning everything and reassembly, this little baby runs like a sewing machine, and it's still accurate and fun to shoot.

I've heard that the new generation has some QC issues occasionally, but for the money this pistol is a winner.

I have been stocking & selling the SP-2022 in 9mm for 4 years and

have never had to send one back for any reason.

We just had some new ones come in and the barrels were a different 

s/n than the lower so I called SIG and they said they recently ran out

of US made barrels and brought a shipment in from Germany (where

barrels need to be serialized) and that is why some newer models have

two s/n's

Based on that i will assume the slide & barrel are US made and the lower 

is made in germany........

I have been stocking & selling the SP-2022 in 9mm for 4 years and

have never had to send one back for any reason.

We just had some new ones come in and the barrels were a different 

s/n than the lower so I called SIG and they said they recently ran out

of US made barrels and brought a shipment in from Germany (where

barrels need to be serialized) and that is why some newer models have

two s/n's

Based on that i will assume the slide & barrel are US made and the lower 

is made in germany........

I'll  have to run up and check you out sometime when I've got time (and some disposable income).

Hence your Username?

5 is a lot. In Sig I only have the one 2022 and a GSR 1911...love that too. I'd like to have more but there's always something else ahead in the line.

Yep my safe has no lack of Sigs. There is 1 Revolver and A 9mm Shield in there just for variety. Sigs are my preference, about like Glock shooters or any other brands.    You need to add A true 229 to keep your 2022 company.

• Like 1

Either the 2nd or 3rd gun I ever bought and it's a keeper. Dead accurate and just feels good in the hand. Take down is a little annoying compared to other poly's, but no big deal. Favorite sig I've owned and my second all time favorite poly pistol.

2022_1_sm.jpg

I believe I picked mine up in 2013, making it my 4th Sig. Think I paid $450 for mine with Sig factory night sights. I too have had zero problems, though probably have 1/10th the rounds through mine. I occasionally look for a used 2009/2340, but never have had a chance to get one once my permits are actually in hand.

Nice fun gun, way more accurate than I will ever be.

2022_1_sm.jpg

I believe I picked mine up in 2013, making it my 4th Sig. Think I paid $450 for mine with Sig factory night sights. I too have had zero problems, though probably have 1/10th the rounds through mine. I occasionally look for a used 2009/2340, but never have had a chance to get one once my permits are actually in hand.

Nice fun gun, way more accurate than I will ever be.

Nice Photo!  Now that you mention it the night sights were something I didn't touch on. My original tritiums are still pretty bright. Good gun all around.

Out of all my pistols, the 2022 is the one I use the least. I have the two-tone with the stainless slide. Still, I can't see myself getting rid of it. Every time I take it out, it still makes me smile when I shoot it.