Sign in to follow this  
sroc112

Anyone's entire handgun line up all the same caliber?

I have been looking around for a new .45 caliber gun but really having trouble finding one that i love. It seems all the guns i like are only in 9mm with the occasional coming in .40 as well. Im on the fence of just giving in and getting one of the 9mm that i like, but that would then mean my 3 handguns would be all the same caliber, 9mm.

Anyone here have a collection that consists of all the same caliber? I do really like the handful of 9mms that i have been looking at and know i will enjoy it. Just dont want to regret not getting a .45. (Selling the one .45 that i do have)

All of mine are in 9mm. H&K P7 PSP, H&K VP9, S&W 9 Shield. Also my wife's EAA Witness Pavona is also 9mm. The next handgun I buy though will most likely be a 1911 in .45 or a .357 revolver. 

My collection is currently 4 different (handgun) calibers (2x .22 [does that count?], 3x 9mm, 1x .40, and 1x .45).  While I enjoy the variety, I will say it would be nice to have a single caliber so I could stockpile just that one.  That said, I highly doubt I will ever get down to a single handgun caliber - I like having options - if anything, I'm hoping to add at least a 10mm and perhaps eventually 5.7x28.

One thing I remember from the panic - 9mm [and to a lesser extent, .45] was fairly hard to come by at a reasonable price (at least locally), while I saw .40, .357sig, and 10mm were at least in stock (or stuck around longer).  If you consolidate and there's another shortage, might crimp your style if you don't reload or don't have a big stockpile.

I have VP9(9mm), USP 45(.45), and S&W 686-4(.357). Sold the 96A1(.40), just wasn't crazy about it. My next purchases will be a S&W 629(.44) and another USP 45 or HK45 or a VP45 if H&K ever makes one. I love .45 and need to get more. I like having multiple calibers but if you notice the theme here, I do have some brand loyalty

My original thought process when first starting out was to keep all the same caliber but each gun has a different use. This would just cut down on what I'd have to stockpile as far as ammo is concerned. Now that I have the basic "needs" or uses covered, I feel I can and will branch out to different calibers and get the mainstays first (1911 .45 and .357). Then who knows...maybe a .380 pocket pistol? 10mm? Also considering .22LR handgun. 

I think it's obvious that the more firearms you own the more variation you will have in your caliber line up. I'm assuming he's asking those with less the 5 or so handguns if they're all the same. I would expect anyone with 10+ handguns to have multiple calibers. Maybe the OP can specify a bit more but that's just my take. :)

Only one caliber is dumb.  Cut back to 6 a while ago, but considering adding one possibly two in the future. Kinda against my religion, but I can see reasons.  

Dumb for who though. People with 1-3 handguns or people with around 10? I can see keeping same caliber for a few guns but I agree when you get over a few you should branch out. Calling it dumb as a blanket statement doesn't make sense IMO.

Besides a M&P 22 and Ruger GP100 22lr, I have three Glocks, a G26, G19, and a G34 MOS; all stock 9mm. Availability and cost of ammo, the need to stockpile only a few calibers, interchangability of magazines and parts, etc were all considerations in my choices.

I started with 9mm and like the idea of variety so now I am looking for a .45, as .40 just seems too close to 9mm to be much of a variety ... however Krdshrk got me thinking that it would be easy and relatively inexpensive to get a .40 barrel/slide for my M&P ...hmmm ... does that mean it can take a .40 magazine as well?   after I get the .45 I am thinking a compact 9mm.

My collection consists of two calibers, 9mm and 45 ACP.

9 mm:

Glock 19 - 2nd gen

Beretta 92 FS SS

45 ACP:

Colt 1911 SS - 70 Series

HK Mark 23

Regards,

TokenEntry

^This - me as well - I have no use for .40, .357sig, etc - I have a Glock 19, 26, Walther PPQ, a 1911, and my upcoming Sig P320 in .45 -

I also have a Taurus .357 Model 605 revolver - but 9mm and .45 are my 2 main staples - If I were to add another .38/.357, maybe a S&W, Desert Eagle (LOL), maybe a Bond Arms derringer, but as of now it remains my odd duck as I'm sticking with the other 2 calibers, definitely not adding another semiautomatic caliber when I can get everything I want and need in 9mm and .45ACP

I started with 9mm and like the idea of variety so now I am looking for a .45, as .40 just seems too close to 9mm to be much of a variety ... however Krdshrk got me thinking that it would be easy and relatively inexpensive to get a .40 barrel/slide for my M&P ...hmmm ... does that mean it can take a .40 magazine as well?   after I get the .45 I am thinking a compact 9mm.

Yes - the M&P 9mm frame can fit the .40S&W magazines just fine.  Same dimensions.  Make sure you get a full .40 S&W Barrel and slide assembly, and use .40 S&W mags.  I don't use it a lot but it works.

I enjoy owning a plethora of calibers because *places tinfoil hat on head* when the zombies come I can use any ammo I find.

In all seriousness though, it is a bit of a pain, but I like to own firearms in the caliber they were designed for or popularized by.