always_an_eagle

What to look for when buying a used SxS shotgun?

Just like the title says, I was at my local gun shop today and I saw an used Stevens 311 12 gauge for sale for a price I can't resist. But I didn't buy it (yet) but I want to ask what things I should look for to make sure it functions and if everything is in good condition.

Make sure it locks up tight. No wobble when action is closed. The release lever should operate smoothly. Check for dents in barrel (same as any shotgun). These are easier to find by shining a light down the bore while checking for corrosion. To make sure the gun will fire put a small piece of masking tape over the firing pin hole and dry fire. The firing pin will dislodge the tape.

• Like 1

Griz simplified it for you.  

Stevens/Springfield/Savage 311A,B,C,D,E,F & H and Savage/Fox models are solid guns. Pre and post-war models were the best examples when it came to workmanship, metal finishing, etc. 70's & 80's guns could be crude in some areas, but were still solid performers. 

Chuck Hawks goes into a little more detail. 

http://www.chuckhawks.com/used_shotgun.htm

Look for wear on the right firing pin hole.  If it was used a lot, the hole may be oblong which will cause light, indirect, firing pin strikes.  I had a 311A like this, 9 out of 10 times it would fire, made duck hunting more a game of chance than skill

Thanks everyone for the advice and help. I forgot to mention that the Stevens 311 I'm looking at had barrels cut to 18 1/2 inches. The cut down barrels shouldn't affect functionality, right?

Not sure what you would be using it for, but with cut 18.5" barrels and unchoked, it would be useless as a hunting or target gun.

Not sure what you would be using it for, but with cut 18.5" barrels and unchoked, it would be useless as a hunting or target gun.

Make sure you point it forward...dont want any pellets hitting your toes...

I'm planning on using it as a defensive orinated shotgun. I have a A.H Fox Sterlingworth shotgun in 12 gauge and I don't really want to cut up the 28 inch barrel. I use that gun for clays.

I agree....please dont cut up a Sterlingworth

Well gang, for the low price of 135 dollars at The Hertiage Guild in Rahway, I bought the Stevens 311. Turns out it's an A model, I'll post pictures tomorrow once I get it (the nics is back logged till tomorrow). The stock is is in rough shape, but it functions well.

Well gang, for the low price of 135 dollars at The Hertiage Guild in Rahway, I bought the Stevens 311. Turns out it's an A model, I'll post pictures tomorrow once I get it (the nics is back logged till tomorrow). The stock is is in rough shape, but it functions well.

Great price and it will more than serve it's purpose!

Great deal. Clean up the stock and oil it and it should serve your purpose well. I have a post WW2 Stevens 20 gage I picked up as a bargain. The bluing was very worn but the gun was in great shape mechanically. I "refinished" the barrels with semi gloss barbecue paint. 26" (?) barrels. I call it my Jed Clampett gun.

Great deal. Clean up the stock and oil it and it should serve your purpose well. I have a post WW2 Stevens 20 gage I picked up as a bargain. The bluing was very worn but the gun was in great shape mechanically. I "refinished" the barrels with semi gloss barbecue paint. 26" (?) barrels. I call it my Jed Clampett gun.

I have refinished multiple shotguns, w/ everything from cold blue to aerosol duracoat. Never thought about semi-gloss bbq paint, you have pics? Very curious how it turned out.

Nice deal.  You might find the stock in better shape than you think.  Depending on when it was made, Stevens used to coat their stocks with some sort of paint/stain mix that comes off pretty easily with steel wool.  If the stock's finish looks really blotchy and scraped...it may be that finish.  If it is, its likely a nice light birch underneath.  Buff the crappy finish off and give it several coats of tung oil, and it will look great!

This is my new (new to me) Stevens 311 A shotgun. As you can see from the pictures, there is some wear visible but overall it's a fuctional and tight locking gun.

The finish on that gun is in much better than the one I got. I would have scooped that up. While not the ideal a short barrel double will work for most situations. Google "lupara".

How would I polish the chambers like a SxS shotgun used for cowboy action shooting? I want to do quick reloads with my gun.

Flitz paste and a shotgun mop works for me.

Or an old brass cleaning brush wrapped in steel wool and chucked-into a variable-speed drill turning slowly.

EDIT - soaked in oil!

FWIW I've been shooting almost 50 years and I never encountered a shotgun that "needed" the chambers polished. Speed loading a break action is more practicing the mechanics of breaking it open, shucking the empties if it doesn't have a extractor, loading, closing the action, and taking off the safety. Many break action guns will put the safety on when you open the action. Polished chambers will cut little, if any time, off all the other manipulations. JMO.

If you feel the need to polish the chambers either of the methods mentioned will work. I would suggest T Bills. Nothing against W2MC. Drills and Dremel tools have ruined more guns than have been worn out by shooting.

My first shotgun was a 311D which I got in 1968. Tuff and sturdy gun and still works great. On my 311, the extractor only lifts the spent shells for easier emptying. It won't "eject" no matter how much you polish the chambers.

PS: If after you polish the tubes it "ejects", let me know and I'll try it again!!

My first shotgun was a 311D which I got in 1968. Tuff and sturdy gun and still works great. On my 311, the extractor only lifts the spent shells for easier emptying. It won't "eject" no matter how much you polish the chambers.

PS: If after you polish the tubes it "ejects", let me know and I'll try it again!!

You are correct. No amount of polishing will make the gun eject.

Most inexpensive doubles only have extractors not ejectors. IIRC the Stoeger Coach gun was first sold with ejectors. Many bought them for CAS and ejectors are not allowed as guns of that day didn't have ejectors. CAS shooters deactivated the ejectors and Stoeger stopped building the gun with a feature most buyers deactivated.