Sign in to follow this  
AlDente67

Dried Food

Forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but I have been interested in the dried package foods for a while, but just got one free pasta meal from Wise the other day, which got me thinking about it more seriously.

There was another vendor who actually posted a comparison of 4 or 5 vendors against themselves, but interestingly, they used calorie per dollar as a main measure of value.  

I can't afford a massive outlay at this time.  So I'm looking for advice on the best bang for your buck based on real experience here, as opposed to marketing.

Edit:  Much of what I see is pure carb meals.  I also see surplus MREs, for example on Sportsmans Guide, foor a couple of bucks per meal.  I used to eat my ROTC roommates' MREs that he brought back from his training missions and loved them.  A starving college kid will eat anything though.  Wondering if that is a better choice for a mix or protein and carbs than the typical dried carb packs?

• Like 1

You might want to look through what Freeze Dry Guy has to offer:  www.freezedryguy.com

I have purchased several different freeze dried products, but you might consider something like this as a starter:

https://freezedryguy.com/product/32-serving-essential-bug-out-bucket/

I've tried all three entrees in there, and they certainly pass my taste test (although admittedly, my bar is set pretty low).  

Yes Zeke, but more of online ad banners.

This is funny...sort of...I took the free packet of some pasta/veg dish they sent me and went to try it for lunch.  The instructions were simple: Boil a cup of water, dump contents into water, stir and let sit for a bit.

Ok,  so I dump the contents in the water and notice a small packet that I fished out.  It smelled like seasoning, like you get with ramen noodles, so I dump that in.  Then I notice the really fine print on the package that says it is the dessicant, not fit for consumption.  Oops.  Screwed that up.

I found the site that had the interesting comparison chart of cost per calorie:

http://www.readysupplyfoods.com/

Still interested in actual MREs though...no need for a cooktop to boil water.

There is this place.

http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Emergency_Survival_Food_s/104.htm

I haven't ordered yet and don't know if these are good prices or not. But they offer some protein kits which let you include that in your daily diet as needed.

Might try a sample kit.

Sportsman's Guide often has sales on MRE's. I keep a few on hand, but most of my stash is freeze dried.

I'm thinking if the poop ever goes down, it might be good to have a few extras around for when the neighbors come calling.

I don't really want to have to shoot my neighbors.