AVB-AMG

Automobile Emergency Bag (Contents)

On 12/1/2016 at 4:48 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

Edit: one more thing... I also have a length of pipe in the car...so if I'm in a dead zone and can't get AAA on the phone, I can at least get a little leverage on the lug nuts of a wheel - to compensate for my lack of muscle.

On 12/1/2016 at 8:20 PM, NJGF said:

Not just for the weak. The lug wrench handles can't be more than 6" long (OK maybe a bit longer but they feel like 6"). No way to get any leverage without the pipe. The manufacturers are probably trying to save weight, space, and money but my 24" pipe makes up for that.

Mrs. Peel and NJGF:

It is for that very reason why I have the following on my list of contents for this bag:

Extendable Lug Wrench – Extends from 15 in. to 22 in., by Black Jack (11/16” – 22mm)

AVB-AMG

On 12/1/2016 at 3:46 PM, Malsua said:

What size tube? The anti-rollover ball will prevent pretty much anything larger than 3/16 tubing from getting past. Some vehicles also have an anti-siphon screen.

Malsua:

The "GasTapper" manual siphon pump I own and have used successfully on my 2007 M-B ML SUV, (and am planning on including in these bags), has a 1 inch dia. PVC tube with a pull tab, and is about 7-8 inches long that is used to push open the spring-loaded seal/cap that is typical on most later model cars that is the secondary barrier immediately inside the fule pipe, behind the fuel filler hinged door on the car's body, that prevents gas from leaking out in case of a roll-over in an accident. Then a Guide Tube is inserted through that PVC tube, as far as it can go until it hits the roll-over valve located at the gas tank. I then insert the ¼” (inside diameter), plastic fuel tube inside of the guide tube, feeding as much of that line as I can until I hit resistance. At this point, I have to use both hands to twist and exert some more pressure to push both the guide tube and fuel tube through and past the roll-over valve. Once I am past that secondary valve I can then insert the third larger dia. hose onto the ¼” plastic fuel tube, that in turn is connected to the hand pump and from there will feed through a similar tube into my portable gas can or container.

As you indicated, if there is a screen blocking access to the gas tank on some cars then you are correct and this method this will not work. I guess it is hit or miss on what type and age vehicle may stop to offer assistance that would allow for this approach to be an option.

AVB-AMG

I have 5 nieces and nephews between the ages of 18 -22, who all are now licensed to drive in different States and have their own cars.  The parents of my nieces and nephews are members of AAA and have extended their membership to include their children, so they have the benefit of AAA towing and/or battery jumping service, if they are in an area that is serviced by an AAA affiliated station.  But as many of us older drivers know from our experience, sometimes you just have to rely on what you already have in your vehicle to deal with an unexpected situation.  That is why many of us have some form of Automobile Emergency Bag in our vehicles, to address that possibility.

As a “car guy”, I decided that for their combined Christmas and Birthday presenst this year, that I would custom prepare an Automobile Emergency Bag for each of them.  This is not to be confused with a Go Bag or Bug-Out Bag, but a bag that will be stored in the trunk of their respective cars and filled with items that, from my experience, will be useful in case of various automobile emergencies, including a flat tire, dead battery, fender-bender accident or off-road crash scenario.  I decided to purchase all of these items separately, instead of just buying one of many available pre-packaged kits/bags because I wanted to ensure that all items are of good quality, something that is definitely compromised in most of these other packaged emergency bags.  This exercise has snow-balled and I have now spent far more than my original budget estimate for each bag, but rationalize that these new drivers in my extended family are worth it.  I know already that their parents are thrilled with the idea for it adds to their peace of mind when their kids are on the road, since they already are deeply concerned about the increase of accidents caused by distracted driving, etc. 

BTW, the bag itself is a 20 inch Bucket Boss 60020 Gatemouth Tool Bag, the same bag I have in my vehicles, that is large enough to hold all of these items and constructed using quality materials.  All of these items make the bags rather heavy but that really is not a big issue since it will reside in the trunk of their vehicles.  I know that most people have their “list” of what the most important items are to have in this type of bag, so for what it is worth, here is the list of items that I have included in these custom bags. 

·         Engine Motor Oil – One (1) Quart of same motor oil used in engine, with a small funnel

·         Tire Air Gauge – dial analog, (no batteries) tire air pressure gauge

·         Jumper Cables - 4 Gauge, 500 Amp, 20 Ft. long battery jumper cables in pouch

·         Electric Battery Jump Starter – 10-160 PSI, for 4 -6 cylinder engines, by Red Fuel

·         First Aid Kit - Surviveware Small First Aid Kit in red canvas case

·         Fire Extinguisher – Kidde regular dry chemical for (B) flammable liquids & © electrical equip.

·         Standard Electric Tire Inflator / Pump – Plugs into car’s 12V cigarette power outlet

·         Extendable Lug Wrench – Extends from 15 in. to 22 in., by Black Jack (11/16” – 22mm)

·         Safety Vest - Neiko high visibility neon yellow safety vest (Size: XL)

·         Small Tools - Cruz Tools Speedkit Compact Tool Kit in a cylindrical blue fabric case

·         Emergency Reflector Warning Triangles – Set of 3 collapsible/foldable in orange case

·         Heavy Duty Tow Strap with Hooks - (2in. x 20 Ft. / 10,000 lbs), by Capri

·         Flashing Emergency Roadside LED Lights - (Pack of 3 in orange case)

(Note: Need to unscrew/loosen the 2 screws on back and remove paper strip from batteries)

·         Fix-A-Flat Can– Flat tire inflator and sealer (16 oz aerosol can)

·         Gasoline Siphon Pump – GasTapper manual siphon pump w/ access sleeve, guide & fuel tubes

·         Foldable Tire Traction Mat – to get unstuck from snow, mud or sand, (2-Pack)

·         EVA Rain Jacket – Adult; Size: L / XL, by Coleman & Umbrella, 36 in. Dia., by Totes

·         Multi-Tool & Utility Knife – by Leatherman, in a black and red pouch (in ZipLoc Bag)

·         Mylar Thermal Blankets – 2 Emergency survival blankets; 52in. x 82in.,(in ZipLoc Bag)

·         Rail Clip Knife & Marine Orange Safety Whistle (in ZipLoc Bag)

·         LED Aluminum Flash Light – with 2 – AA Batteries (not installed) (in ZipLoc Bag)

·         LED Flashlight (3-AAA Batteries) & Mini-Headlamp (2-CR2032 Batteries) (in ZipLoc Bag)

(Note:  Batteries are included but not installed, to preserve their charge for when needed)

·         Work Gloves – 1 pair of Mechanix Wear FastFit work gloves (Black, Size: Large)

·         Auto Duct Tape – 1 roll

·         Windshield Washer Fluid, 1 Gallon, by rain-x (bottle could also be used for gasoline)

·         Emergency Survival Whistle – orange, (in ZipLoc Bag)

·         Paracord – Para/100 heavy duty paracord rope (50 feet)

·         Road Maps - Various State & Regional paper AAA road maps, (in ZipLoc Bag)

What else I will recommend to them to possibly add in a second bag or just include in their trunk is a blanket, empty plastic gasoline can and a warm polar fleece jacket and flat soled shoes, all of which make sense but would not fit in the bag I selected.  They each have their car’s Owner’s Manual in the glove compartment, along with a hand-held glass breaker / seatbelt cutter.  Also, I figure that they will know to bring some water and snacks for longer road trips and I understand that any spare drinking water will freeze in the trunk in the winter months and could break open its container causing a damaging mess. 

So what am I missing?

AVB-AMG

DUDE!!!! EFFING THANK YOU!!!!! being in the business, i should've thought of something like this. this is going to be gifts for my cousins kids, aunt, uncle, and cousins. of course mom too. THANK YOU MAN!

• Like 1

On 12/1/2016 at 10:33 PM, 1LtCAP said:

DUDE!!!! EFFING THANK YOU!!!!! being in the business, i should've thought of something like this. this is going to be gifts for my cousins kids, aunt, uncle, and cousins. of course mom too. THANK YOU MAN!

1LtCAP:

Glad to provide some inspiration! If even just one of these family members ever need to use any of the items in their respective bags then it will have been worth it to me.

I kick myself for not doing this several years earlier for a number of the nieces and nephews that are 20 and 21 years old now, but I guess better late than never. Just be prepared for some pricing sticker shock for the better quality items that add up quickly. Maybe we can rationalize the expense by making it a Christmas/Birthday/Christmas present that gets us off the hook for presents for full year....[emoji6]

Good luck with your assemblage exercise....

AVB-AMG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wouldn't toss your mylar blankets, but I would keep those as maybe spares and get them some real wool blankets and some of those hand/foot/body warmers.. A headlamp to use when your hands are occupied doing other things is useful. Some chemlights. I might think of other things and add to the list

On 12/6/2016 at 10:16 PM, aambulo said:

I keep an extra (simple) unlocked cellphone with a sim card and an extra battery, plus an extra SIM card. These items are kept in the center console or the glove in a plastic bag. 

aambulo:

That is a good suggestion since, as I understand it, even the most basic cell phones can call 911 in most regions.  I use my old iPhone 4 in the center console of my car, as the repository and source for playing my music and audio book collection and could use it to call 911, if my current cell phone's battery is dead.  It is set in a cradle that snaps into a hard wired set up that connects directly to the car's audio system and is constantly being charged, so that is also an option for me.  I will pass that suggestion along to them.

On 12/7/2016 at 8:48 AM, tc556guy said:

I wouldn't toss your mylar blankets, but I would keep those as maybe spares and get them some real wool blankets and some of those hand/foot/body warmers.. A headlamp to use when your hands are occupied doing other things is useful. Some chemlights. I might think of other things and add to the list

tc556guy:

I agree with both of your suggestions, which is why my list includes the following:

LED Flashlight (3-AAA Batteries) & Mini-Headlamp (2-CR2032 Batteries) (in ZipLoc Bag)

(Note: Batteries are included but not installed, to preserve their charge for when needed)

Also, at the end of my original post, I suggest that in the winter time that they include in their trunk a regular old blanket as well, separate from this bag due to space constraints.  The blanket can be used for obvious warmth, as well as to lay on the ground for when you need to work on a tire or partially under the car.

AVB-AMG

tc556guy:

I agree with both of your suggestions, which is why my list includes the following:

LED Flashlight (3-AAA Batteries) & Mini-Headlamp (2-CR2032 Batteries) (in ZipLoc Bag)

(Note: Batteries are included but not installed, to preserve their charge for when needed)

Also, at the end of my original post, I suggest that in the winter time that they include in their trunk a regular old blanket as well, separate from this bag due to space constraints.  The blanket can be used for obvious warmth, as well as to lay on the ground for when you need to work on a tire or partially under the car.

AVB-AMG

Yup, I'll admit I missed both of those in the original post

I have a long breaker bar and the correct size socket for removing my lug nuts. Once I tried to remove my tire using the bar from the factory and bent it. The guy putting on my tire before must have cranked the hell out of it with the air wrench. Had to call AAA. If I had forgotten my phone or was in a dead zone I would have been hosed.

You can also buy water in those cardboard/plastic "juice boxes" so if they freeze it's not a big deal. Might be useful if the radiator overheats or if you really need drinking water.

I know you're already pretty deep financially with these kits but I'd recommend putting twenty bucks in there too. If they've run out of gas it might be because they didn't have money on them when the warning light came on for low fuel. Having that extra gas can is great if they've got the means to fill it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 1/24/2017 at 8:35 PM, jtd771 said:

I know you're already pretty deep financially with these kits but I'd recommend putting twenty bucks in there too. If they've run out of gas it might be because they didn't have money on them when the warning light came on for low fuel. Having that extra gas can is great if they've got the means to fill it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jtd771:

Good advice!

Your point is well taken, especially in this day and age when young folks use their cell phones (Apple Pay) and/or credit/debit cards to pay for everything, including a coffee or candy bar, and may not have much cash on them, it at all.

I have to chuckle.... Many years ago when I was back in high school my Dad recommended the I fold up a $20 bill and stash/hide it in a pocket in my wallet separate from my other cash, with the intention that it only be used for an emergency. If I had to use it then I was to replace it as soon as possible, putting it in the same location. I still do that to this day and it has come in handy on a number of occasions.

AVB-AMG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

UPDATE – Sept 2017

Well, nine months after giving these Automobile Emergency Bags to my five nieces and nephews as Christmas gifts, I thought it would be interesting to report that four of them have told me that they have used items included in the bags.

One nephew had a flat tire back in January and used the work gloves, safety vest, fix-a-flat temporary sealant and tire air pump and gauge, along with the warning triangles and flashing disk lights set behind the parked vehicle on the side of the road.  Another nephew used the electric battery jump starter to jump his dead battery in March.  A niece used the tow straps to help get a friend’s car out of stuck snow. Finally, another nephew used the quart of motor oil to fill up his engine when the low-oil warning indicator illuminated on his dash this past summer.

I have reiterated to all of them to make sure that they do not postpone having the regular professional maintenance performed on each of their cars. But alas, I do not have control over what these younger folks will actually do, so can only preach this good advice.

We all know that in the real world, car batteries do die over time if the headlights are left on and tires will run over nails, screws, etc and cause them to lose air pressure that can be fixed relatively easily. If they skid off of an icy or snow-covered roadway, then some of the contents of this bag will be very useful, if not lifesaving. My attitude from the beginning of this exercise in preparing these bags for my nieces and nephews, was that if any of the contents could help any of them, even once in an unanticipated situation with their cars, then it would be money well spent....

AVB-AMG

7 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

UPDATE – Sept 2017

Well, nine months after giving these Automobile Emergency Bags to my five nieces and nephews as Christmas gifts, I thought it would be interesting to report that four of them have told me that they have used items included in the bags.

One nephew had a flat tire back in January and used the work gloves, safety vest, fix-a-flat temporary sealant and tire air pump and gauge, along with the warning triangles and flashing disk lights set behind the parked vehicle on the side of the road.  Another nephew used the electric battery jump starter to jump his dead battery in March.  A niece used the tow straps to help get a friend’s car out of stuck snow. Finally, another nephew used the quart of motor oil to fill up his engine when the low-oil warning indicator illuminated on his dash this past summer.

I have reiterated to all of them to make sure that they do not postpone having the regular professional maintenance performed on each of their cars. But alas, I do not have control over what these younger folks will actually do, so can only preach this good advice.

We all know that in the real world, car batteries do die over time if the headlights are left on and tires will run over nails, screws, etc and cause them to lose air pressure that can be fixed relatively easily. If they skid off of an icy or snow-covered roadway, then some of the contents of this bag will be very useful, if not lifesaving. My attitude from the beginning of this exercise in preparing these bags for my nieces and nephews, was that if any of the contents could help any of them, even once in an unanticipated situation with their cars, then it would be money well spent....

AVB-AMG

@AVB-AMG Have not heard much from you lately in the 1st ad threads... hope all is well.

• Like 1

remixer:

Thank you for your concern.  I am fine.  

As you and others are well aware of my political leanings, for the time being, I am avoiding the usually toxic attitudes expressed and tribal echo chamber attitude encouraged and reaffirmed in the 1A Lounge, primarily in the political thread topics.  

BTW, I highly recommend long summer breaks, vacations, ideally involving a change of scenery, as being very therapeutic and reinvigorating for the mind and soul.

All the best....!

AVB-AMG

4 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

Remixer:

Thank you for your concern.  I am fine.  

As you and others are well aware of my political leanings, for the time being, I am avoiding the usually toxic attitudes expressed and tribal echo chamber attitude encouraged and reaffirmed in the 1A Lounge on many topics.  

BTW, I highly recommend long summer breaks, vacations, ideally involving a change of scenery, as being very therapeutic and reinvigorating for the mind and soul.

All the best....!

AVB-AMG

Good to hear.   Just because we disagree does not mean i dont care.