ajpaul59

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 Hudson, NC

Christie's term ends exactly 1 year from now.  Hudson's reciprocity bill has already been introduced and given the R majority in both houses, and the likelihood that at least a few dems from red states will vote in favor, it has a decent chance of passing (really depends on whether the senate could override a filibuster).  If it does pass, Trump will clearly sign it, and while I'm not sure of the timing, I'm guessing it would be fairly soon -- let's say by June.  I could see Christie directing his AG NOT to challenge the bill in court.  If for no other reason than to annoy Loretta Weinberg and the other  rabidly anti-gun ownership NJ Democrats in the legislature.  Assuming that is correct, the earliest NJ would mount a challenge would be exactly one year from now when a new (likely Democrat) governor takes office,  By that time, after 6 months or so of legal carry in NJ, I wonder if getting an injunction or even mounting a challenge at all would be feasible.  Many "ifs" in the equation, but I'm starting to get cautiously optimistic despite myself.

I honestly can't see how this WON'T pass, considering the Reps hold the majority in both House and Senate, and we have a Rep POTUS. If it doesn't pass, it'll be because of the RINOS.

they have constituent to think of. 2 years we are going to see big voter turnout.

Well, I just filled out a non resident NH carry permit application. I finally have a reason to apply for one!

I have my Florida packet sitting here waiting to be filled out. Chief said no problem for prints.

Doesn't this bill require photo id? And does NH give that? Or has this changed?

Va you can do online I think. Or is that W va?

I have my Florida packet sitting here waiting to be filled out. Chief said no problem for prints.

Utah and Florida require submission of a passport sized photo and the license will carry the photo.  New Hampshire only requires you to fill out their form and mail a check; no photo.

Utah and Florida require submission of a passport sized photo and the license will carry the photo. New Hampshire only requires you to fill out their form and mail a check; no photo.

Doesn't this bill require photo? I believe it does

Utah and Florida require submission of a passport sized photo and the license will carry the photo.  New Hampshire only requires you to fill out their form and mail a check; no photo.

I think what Zeke is asking is if this Reciprocity Bill requires a photo on your carry permit. If that's your question Zeke, I don't know the answer to that but would like to find out before I send my app and money to NH as they do not require a photo. The only reason I chose NH was because of how easy it is, but if a photo is required, I'll have to look at other states that do require a photo on the permit. Anyone care to chime in?

• Like 1

I honestly can't see how this WON'T pass, considering the Reps hold the majority in both House and Senate, and we have a Rep POTUS. If it doesn't pass, it'll be because of the RINOS.

I agree.  If it gets through the Senate, Trump will sign it. 

The problem will be litigation by the gun grabber states like NJ/NY/MD/CA and the like to block it via injunction.  A main weakness is that the legislation effectively forces all states to be subject to the standards for issuance of a carry permit by the least stringent state, such as Utah.  FL and other states require proof of completion of a firearms training class.  That requirement would be circumvented by simply obtaining a Utah non-resident permit.  Thus, I can see even some of the free states having some objections and concerns about the bill as currently drafted.  Then again, some states have a more rigorous procedure to obtain a plenary driver's license than others yet one state's license is as good as any for travel through the entire country.  Will be interesting to watch.

I agree. If it gets through the Senate, Trump will sign it.

The problem will be litigation by the gun grabber states like NJ/NY/MD/CA and the like to block it via injunction. A main weakness is that the legislation effectively forces all states to be subject to the standards for issuance of a carry permit by the least stringent state, such as Utah. FL and other states require proof of completion of a firearms training class. That requirement would be circumvented by simply obtaining a Utah non-resident permit. Thus, I can see even some of the free states having some objections and concerns about the bill as currently drafted. Then again, some states have a more rigorous procedure to obtain a plenary driver's license than others yet one state's license is as good as any for travel through the entire country. Will be interesting to watch.

Of those states you list. Only Nj does not grant carry.

I think what Zeke is asking is if this Reciprocity Bill requires a photo on your carry permit. If that's your question Zeke, I don't know the answer to that but would like to find out before I send my app and money to NH as they do not require a photo. The only reason I chose NH was because of how easy it is, but if a photo is required, I'll have to look at other states that do require a photo on the permit. Anyone care to chime in?

Yes, I agree but he also asked whether having NH would satisfy a photo requirement if one exists in the new bill.  It would not for the reasons I gave.

• Like 1

Friends,

I just had a back-and-forth with Kerry Picket of the Daily Caller. Here is a link to the newly revised bill:

https://hudson.house.gov/uploads/Con...0of%202017.pdf

The new bill deletes the line that would have limited the reciprocal right to carry to non-residents.

a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any

9 State or political subdivision thereof (except as provided

10 in subsection (b)) and subject only to the requirements

11 of this section, a person who is not prohibited by Federal

12 law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving

13 a firearm, who is carrying a valid identification document

14 containing a photograph of the person, and who is car

15rying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant

16 to the law of a State and which permits the person to

17 carry a concealed firearm or is entitled to carry a con

18 cealed firearm in the State in which the person resides,

19 may possess or carry a concealed handgun (other than a

20 machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped

21 or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any

22 State that—

‘‘(1) has a statute under which residents of the

24 State may apply for a license or permit to carry a

25 concealed firearm; or

‘‘(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed

2 firearms by residents of the State for lawful pur

3poses.

This from Kerry of the Daily Caller:

I updated my first piece to address this issue. A congressional source told me this: "an individual from one of those states may obtain a non-resident CCP from a state that recognizes the right to carry. All CCP holders (whether resident or non-resident) still have to abide by all the laws of the state in which they are carrying concealed."

Here is a pull from her new story, posted today:

This would mean that even law abiding individuals who are residents in tough restrictive gun law states like Maryland, California, and New York, for example, can use a non-resident concealed carry permit from another state, like Utah, to conceal carry in their own state.

If this language survives the bill's arduous journey, we will finally be able to carry in our own state.

Ah here it is
  • Like 1

By statute, NJ does provide for carry, just not in practice. The clarification that came out says any permit/license will suffice, resident or non-resident so it's moot.

the argument is of the states that will fight this. Therefore carry states that you have listed that " practice " are less likely to fight this.

Not Moot.

NJ is the wild card depending on the timing.

It says,  "who is carrying a valid identification document
containing a photograph of the person
, and who is carrying a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant
to the law of a State and which permits the person to
carry a concealed firearm or is entitled to carry a concealed firearm"

So you need a photo ID such as a drivers license and a carry permit.

It does NOT say the photo must be on the carry permit. Plain and simple language here. 2 separate documents. Plain as day!

NH is good to go!

• Like 4