ajpaul59

Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 Hudson, NC

I'm not sure about you guys but I'm excited.

It will be a battle for sure. But, this is a rilly big deal. You think Pardon Christie is going to direct his ag to fight this? I think not

This is a really good opportunity and we have to take our best shot. Make those phones ring. And also make sure to call House and Senate leaders and House and Senate Judiciary Committee members. Don't take any BS that you are not their constituents, party and committee leaders obviously represent all of us, and that is why they were given their posts. We are going to have to reward them if they get this done. Make that personal decision before you pick up the phone.

Never let them off with just a message. Force two-way communication. Get the email address of the staffer and politely ask to get direct (not boilerplate) feedback on where this is in their list of priorities and how WE can help move it along. Email is used AFTER and in between phone calls, NOT in lieu of them. If we had every gun owner in Jersey put in 5 minutes a week it would make a huge difference. A state where our reps probably wouldn't lift a finger to help us. Get two friends to mail a letter (give them a stamped envelope) and make a phone call. Leave email, phone number, and address lists for the committee members and chamber leaders at your gun clubs, ranges, and gun shops with requests to hand them out.

If you want to discuss detailed, legal, or Constitutional issues, do not put it in an email or letter. They must be short and to the point. Supporting info is provided after two-way contact is made with a staffer.

This could be awesome...at least until the Democrats win back the White House and Congress, and they go about repealing this.

If this gets done, I think repeal is unlikely. This is a very popular issue right now and I just can't see it being easy to put it back in the bottle.

• Like 1

Today, I'm afraid the constitution is almost irrelevant - at least the 2nd amendment.  Violating that right is a non issue for many of our leaders.

Unlike Obamacare, there will be no down side to shall issue. Nobody is going to lose coverage, nobody is going to be taxed because their plan is too good, nobody is going to be forced to spend money on something they don't want, nothing is going to go up in price.

I agree, once it happens, I think it will be a long time before it goes away.

DeerSlayer,

Thanks for posting the exchange with Hudson's office. Very interesting to see the evolution of the wording. Since that correspondence, the wording has changed again, and for the better.

Late November:

that has been shipped
20 or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any
21 State, other than the State of residence of the person,
22 that— 

Mid-December:

that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence or licensure of the person, that…”

Jan. 3:

that has been shipped
21 or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any
22 State that— 

In other words, now, a permit from "a" state is good in "any" state, period. No qualifier after "any." This is what was necessary to "save" us.

• Like 1

It'll be easier to dismantle CCW reciprocity than it will be to dismantle Obamacare. The Democrats will put their backs into it...mark my words.

I'm not so sure. Carry and 2A are broadly popular, even among the majority that do not carry. Obamacare is unpopular.

And dismantling Obamacare should be quite easy. A successful transition will be the hard part. Trump is right, we are going to take some of the Obamacare blame away from the Dems when we get into this, and there will likely be a price unless Trump pulls a nice, shiny rabbit out of his hat. I say Trump because I know Congress won;t get it right. But I guess we'll see.

It'll be easier to dismantle CCW reciprocity than it will be to dismantle Obamacare.  The Democrats will put their backs into it...mark my words.

Yo, Debbie downer, what it gonna take to turn that frown upside down? 

• Like 3

Critical Defense. State police issued an opinion that they're not hollow points at some point in time.

True, there are other options including EFMJ. I was just stating that true hollow points couldn't be carried. 

Still need to be concerned about the court interpretation awhile back the I believe said "any bullet designed to expand".

• Like 1

Here's the tracker for H.R. 38: https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/38

It has to make it past the House before I get excited. The last time the bill was introduced it died in committee.

eta: ("past" not "pass"--typing fail)

Edited by Cereza

Wow, just wow.  Did not expect this but is is great news.  I eagerly await Senator Weinberg's reaction.

she can have no reaction other than to shrug her wrinkly old shoulders. it would be federal law if passed. the real question for me is would this FINALLY open the floodgates for "allowing" actual nj cc permits? if everyone and their brother could legally carry in the state EXCEPT the actual residents of the state, they'd have a lot of explaining to do...

It has to make it pass the House before I get excited. The last time the bill was introduced it died in committee.

Hopefully the chairman of the judiciary committee decides this bill is important enough to begin the markup process.  Most bills enter committee and are never heard from again.  That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this bill gets butchered while in committee.  Although, things have changed somewhat, considering several of the Democrats on the judiciary committee come from Trump states...

she can have no reaction other than to shrug her wrinkly old shoulders. it would be federal law if passed. the real question for me is would this FINALLY open the floodgates for "allowing" actual nj cc permits? if everyone and their brother could legally carry in the state EXCEPT the actual residents of the state, they'd have a lot of explaining to do...

According to the correspondence from Hudson posted above, under his bill residents of NJ COULD carry in NJ with a non-resident permit from another state.  My guess is the state of NJ runs to Federal District ct seeking an injunction preventing implementation of the law and they probably would get it.

According to the correspondence from Hudson posted above, under his bill residents of NJ COULD carry in NJ with a non-resident permit from another state. My guess is the state of NJ runs to Federal District ct seeking an injunction preventing implementation of the law and they probably would get it.

If the state decided to fight it.

Then it goes all the way up.

According to the correspondence from Hudson posted above, under his bill residents of NJ COULD carry in NJ with a non-resident permit from another state.  My guess is the state of NJ runs to Federal District ct seeking an injunction preventing implementation of the law and they probably would get it.

A state can't challenge a federal law just because they don't like it.

• Like 1

From Wiki:

Nullification, in United States constitutional history, is a legal theory that a state has the right to nullify, or invalidate, any federal law which that state has deemed unconstitutional. The theory of nullification has never been legally upheld by federal courts.[1]

Courts at the state and federal level, including the U.S. Supreme Court, repeatedly have rejected the theory of nullification.[2] The courts have decided that under the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution, federal law is superior to state law, and that under Article III of the Constitution, the federal judiciary has the final power to interpret the Constitution. Therefore, the power to make final decisions about the constitutionality of federal laws lies with the federal courts, not the states, and the states do not have the power to nullify federal laws.