Sign in to follow this  
Dashle

Would anyone recommend the Glock 30?

I do a bit of FA training. I have found that the most problematic Glock is the G30. This is mostly because of the size of the weapon and recoil,  vs the size of the shooters hands. I would not own one or recommend one. I have come to believe that the G19 is as close to perfect as you are going to get for a conceal carry sized pistol. Just my 2 cents.

I have had a G30 for about 15 years. Like any Glock I've had no issues with it. However, I would not recommend it to a new shooter for the following reasons.

Many think limp wrsiting a Glock is a fallacy. Give someone with small hands a G30 and have them shoot it one handed and you will see it happen. Not that they can't learn to shoot it well but it introduces an additional issue. Recoil is manageable but heavier recoil is not conducive to learning a handgun. Ammo costs will be at least 50% higher over a 9mm, usually more than that. 9mm is the cheapest centerfire handgun ammo out there.

I'd suggest a G19 for a first handgun for a simple reason. It's the best all around 9mm made IMO. Lower ammo costs will enable more practice. Anything you can do with a 45 you can do with a 45 except make a larger hole with a single bullet.

A few of questions: Is this gun for home defense, conceal carry (probably not in NJ), range use, competition use, protection against bears? Also what size hands do you have and what is your overall strength?

For example if this is for home defense and you are set on a .45 the G21 might be better than the G30 (heavier to mitigate recoil more).

Any of the Glocks are some of the most reliable guns and I would agree with GRIZ that the G19 is an excellent first gun.

As GRIZ also said the 9mm is one of the least expensive centerfire cartidges and that will add up if you spent a decent amount of time at the range.

I own and sometimes cc a glock 30. I find it to be very accurate and soft shooting.  Like the others obove me have said, if its your first handgun, try a 19, its cheaper to shoot, great all around platform.  I really really like the glock 30. If you can rent one and its variants like the glock 30s or smaller 36 and see which one you shoot well with if you want the 45.

You will never use it.  If the cost of ammo doesn't discourage you, the lack of any sort of accuracy with it will because of your inexperience and the recoil of the 45ACP, especially in a compact configuration.  New shooter, 9MM at the largest.  better yet start with a 22LR.

After eating a sammwich I have to respond. Although a Glock 30 isnt the ideal gun for beginners its managable if you learn solid fundamentals.

Its archaic to think new shooters need to start on a .22. Without going into too much thousands of new shooters have learned and shot fairly well .40cal handguns for the better part of a quarter century in this state.

My personal favorite is a 9mm for all around shootability.

One anomaly with the Glock 30: finger pinch.

There's a small gap between the magazine base and the bottom of the grip. Depending on your hand and how you grip the 30, you may find the flesh of your pinky finger is pinched when the gun is fired. I found exactly the right size O-ring to slide over the magazine to fill that gap and stop it. I've never had this issue on any other Glock I've shot.

It bothers some people, but not everyone.

If you are new to firearms look at CZ's line up. Not as well known as Glock, Smith & Wesson, Ruger etc but excellent guns. They weren't available all that much state side until after The Wall came down.

The ergonomics are very good. Excellant reliability. Vert accurate and low recoiling due to all metal construction (though does make a little heavier than the plastic fantastics) and well priced gun.

The full size is the CZ 75B and slightly smaller is the CZ P01. The P01 holds 14 rounds of 9mm goodness so you don't have to pay extra to have the 75B mags permanently pinned (believe they come with 18 rounders).

If you aren't familiar with the CZ line up please give it a look. Youtuber "Sootch00" has a few good informative videos on them. I believe Hickcock45 (another Youtuber) does as well.

Welcome to the sport and the community!

As Nickjc said, double action revolvers are excellent for newbies if you have little to no experience with handguns. Simple to understand, simple to use, simple to operate and simple to clean/maintain.

Plus when you master the fundamentals of shooting a revolver you then have an excuse for purchasing a semi-auto!

I would also recommend a 4" DA 357 as a first handgun. I've been called a dinosaur in some circles for doing so. It's the best all around handgun made. Get a 686 or GP100, learn to use it, and any other handgun is easy to learn. DA revolver shooting is not that hard to learn. Millions have done it in the past and are doing so now. You don't need an action job no matter what many say. Smooth is more important than light when it comes to DA triggers.

I've had my Glock 30 for many years and love it but for me the grip is just a tad too thick. Recoil is  less than my Glock 23! I absolutely love the feel of the Glock 30S and am presently looking to buy one for a good price.Trade off- recoil will be a little "snappier" as Hickok 45 would say. I'm sure that will be no problem. The Glock 30S will take any mag for the 30 or 21 as well.