Joe P.

Say goodbye to Smith & Wesson

And say hello to " American Outdoor Brands Corporation"

SPRINGFIELD, Mass., Dec. 13, 2016

SPRINGFIELD, Mass., Dec. 13, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC), today announced that its stockholders have overwhelmingly approved a change to the holding company's name from Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation to American Outdoor Brands Corporation.  The name change does not impact Smith & Wesson Corp., the name of the company's firearms division, which has legendary roots dating back to 1852 and will remain unchanged.  The name change pertains only to the holding corporation that acquired Smith & Wesson in 2001 and now owns Smith & Wesson Corp., Battenfeld Technologies, Inc., and Crimson Trace Corporation, which represent the company's firearms, manufacturing services, accessories, and electro-optics divisions.

James Debney, President and Chief Executive Officer of Smith & Wesson, said, "We are excited about the results of today's stockholder vote.  We believe that American Outdoor Brands Corporation is a name that truly represents our broad and growing array of brands and businesses in the shooting, hunting, and rugged outdoor enthusiast markets.  Looking ahead, and operating as American Outdoor Brands Corporation, we intend to continue building upon our portfolio, focusing on brands and products that best meet the needs and lifestyle of our target consumers."

The name change will be effective on or about January 1, 2017, at which time the company will adopt the common stock trading symbol "AOBC" for its NASDAQ stock exchange listing.

AOBC will look funny on the side of a Revo .. bleh 

"The name change does not impact Smith & Wesson Corp., the name of the company's firearms division, which has legendary roots dating back to 1852 and will remain unchanged."

A much ado about nothing.

Agreed. I don't think they'd be so :crazy: as to dump the entire brand and name....  I'm sure we'll still see the name on the products that division makes.  Just not on the "annual report" or in the Stock Market.

Originally, i thought this was to devise some protection from the left in regard to the pressure to repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce Act. And maybe it does in some way protect their other business revenue from being subject to lawsuits and whatnot. I would think these other businesses would benefit from the S&W brand , but what do i know.. no big deal. 

At least in more recent times S&W has always made various precision metal components for a variety of other manufacturers. Last time I was in Springfield for an armorer's course (late 90s) they were making golf club heads.

S&W was contracted by Snake Eyes to make forged iron heads but the project fizzled when politics and cost-cutting from Snake Eyes got involved. (Ruger has made investment cast heads for Ping and Callaway.) 

Holding Company name change was simply done to keep or attract new capital investment.  Libtards have fits when their money goes to "make guns".  But changing the holding company's name, they dilute that issue because let's face it who delves into a company's background when the name appears to be harmless.  As stated, nothing to see here, move on.

Most of the time corporate name changes are stupid. Anyone here use Alphabet's latest browser? In this case maybe for a good reason.

Exactly what I thought.  Everyone knows Google, nobody cares it is a part of that "Alphabet".

(I'm not sure my Chrome is the latest.)