Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

Comcast causing accidents...

Here's a few minutes of idiots on the road.  They were all driving too fast for conditions...except the one person going slow, who gets hit by a truck going too fast for conditions.

There are a couple of issues here.

The Comcrap guy probably did what he was legally required to do and he is right to keep his truck between himself and traffic.  He also probably deals with idiot homeowners all the time.

That said, he's a flipping idiot not to see that what he was doing WAS NOT ENOUGH to prevent other accidents or injuries.    If someone had died, he/ComCrap would have been held at least partially responsible.

The guy running the camera is also a raging asshole who should have just called the cops.

• Like 1

Video guy was more concerned about making sure things were ready for social media than to call the police.  He was most likely recording with his phone.  You have to wonder if by placing HIS own cones immediately after the peak of the hill make him more responsible.  People were hitting their brakes when they suddenly saw his cones.   The cones by the truck could have been spread out more, but you do tend notice a truck and cones in the road if your looking ahead.  Most people were just drive to fast for the road conditions.   

Even if the guy was following the rules, he needs to realize when the rules aren't working.  After a half dozen people ended up in the ditch, he should have packed it up until the weather was nicer.  Even if the people who ran off the road were going too fast and the Comcast guy was "right", it's better to not put people in harms way than to be indignantly right.

• Like 3

guy running the camera had an axe to grind for whatever reason. that's the ONLY reason he was being a douchenozzle. he kept saying that there was a hill....yet every time he panned the camera back to where the traffic was coming from, there was plenty of room to see them in the road. more than plenty. every one of the vehicles that the camera showed skidding off the road were way too fast for the conditions. esPECIALLY the guy in the black 74'ish chevy pickup. that guy was fuckin' screamin along, right till he hit the slow mover.

guy running the camera had an axe to grind for whatever reason. that's the ONLY reason he was being a douchenozzle. he kept saying that there was a hill....yet every time he panned the camera back to where the traffic was coming from, there was plenty of room to see them in the road. more than plenty. every one of the vehicles that the camera showed skidding off the road were way too fast for the conditions. esPECIALLY the guy in the black 74'ish chevy pickup. that guy was fuckin' screamin along, right till he hit the slow mover.

I actually used the video and figured out where this took place.   From the crest of the hill to the comcast box, it's a 10 foot drop over about 375 feet.  It's enough that cars approaching the crest of the hill would be unable to see the comcast truck until they go over.   It's 2.5 degree grade and while not much, it's enough when you have shitty tires and bad conditions.

Here's approaching the hill from the direction all the cars were crashing from...also remember, the google cams are 8 to 10 feet in the air.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.749477,-86.3076786,3a,75y,270.16h,82.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smoWD2jTHOszB-B05wB1Lhw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

and here's the comcast box.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7494194,-86.3096888,3a,75y,306.79h,70.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sU9LBDyviNwxY_spHfBgpZQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

I worked for the Power Co. For over 40 years and setup on poles with bucket trucks more times than I can count. The work zone traffic control is regulated by DOT and OSHA has guidelines for zone configuration and setup. In a 40 mph area, a general rule I used was distance from my truck was 100 feet for every 10 mph so 400 ft to my warning sign. Then my cones would start at about 350 ft from my truck. The guy saying he needed only 4 cones because it was 40 mph was full of shit. In inclement weather like that, if I had to work out there, I would have requested police for traffic control. The Comcast guy going up in the bucket was a real asshole, if he worked for me he'd have serious problems.....

• Like 1

The guy could've just called the cops.

Totally agree. Ask the Comcast guy once to extend the cone line and if he doesn't then report a traffic hazard to the local police and let them decide how to handle it.

• Like 1

I actually used the video and figured out where this took place.   From the crest of the hill to the comcast box, it's a 10 foot drop over about 375 feet.  It's enough that cars approaching the crest of the hill would be unable to see the comcast truck until they go over.   It's 2.5 degree grade and while not much, it's enough when you have shitty tires and bad conditions.

Here's approaching the hill from the direction all the cars were crashing from...also remember, the google cams are 8 to 10 feet in the air.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.749477,-86.3076786,3a,75y,270.16h,82.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smoWD2jTHOszB-B05wB1Lhw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

and here's the comcast box.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.7494194,-86.3096888,3a,75y,306.79h,70.08t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sU9LBDyviNwxY_spHfBgpZQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

which brings us back to....it's no ones fault other than the drivers..........

• Like 1

Comcast guy could have put a sign "Men Working Ahead / Slow Down" (if he had one) before the crest of the hill to warn drivers before they crested the hill so they could slow down.  I'm sure there still would have been accidents as many cares in the video were clearly driving too fast for the road conditions.   The jackass in the older black truck must have been doing 50 or 60 mph.  He's a complete moron.

Several cars passed the Comcast worker with no problem.  The guy with the camera, if he was so concerned for peoples safety, could have stood on side of the road before the hill crested waving his wands to warn drivers of the impeding danger.  He obviously wasn't too concerned.  The orange warning signs he put out obviously weren't helping as cars still continued to drive too fast for the conditions.

Can't sure stupid. 

not seeing how comcast is at fault here. they were working, clearly marked the workspace as such and all i saw from that video were people speeding in unsafe road conditions. that jackass in the pickup who rear ended the car was going way too fast for those conditions. entertaining video though

• Like 1

not seeing how comcast is at fault here. they were working, clearly marked the workspace as such and all i saw from that video were people speeding in unsafe road conditions. that jackass in the pickup who rear ended the car was going way too fast for those conditions. entertaining video though

I think the Comcast worker inability to think beyond their instruction on how many cones to put out based on speed limit--regardless of road conditions, possible obstructions, weather conditions, sightlines AND several dangerous incidents of people going off the road.

If you are doing work and people are sliding off the road because they don't see your markers in time, isn't it just common sense to change something to maybe give those people a little more advance warning?  Obviously the Comcast instruction is meant for normal conditions and should be adjusted, especially when it is obvious that they are not working.

• Like 1

The people who weren't driving like raging hemorrhoids seemed to be doing just fine. All the other ones however...

I totally agree.  Unfortunately, if the Comcast crew could have reasonably determined that their trucks posed a safety issue (even though the issue was totally caused by the fact that people were driving over the limit) AND there was an easy, commonsense way to address it, then the courts would probably determine that Comcast has some liability for their failure to act.

If it were my business, and I saw a potential issue like this, I would do whatever extra that I could to protect myself from liability.

You know that if any of those people decide that they want to sue someone--regardless of their own culpability--they are going after the deepest pockets.  And at a minimum there will be costs to defend yourself.  God forbid if a court determines you could have taken very simple measures to improve your visibility AND determines that those measures could have prevented the accidents.

Why not just take the simple measures in the first place?  It really does not cost you anything and If you still end up in court at least you can say "Well, I did everything I could to make sure people could see me."

I think the Comcast worker inability to think beyond their instruction on how many cones to put out based on speed limit--regardless of road conditions, possible obstructions, weather conditions, sightlines AND several dangerous incidents of people going off the road.

If you are doing work and people are sliding off the road because they don't see your markers in time, isn't it just common sense to change something to maybe give those people a little more advance warning?  Obviously the Comcast instruction is meant for normal conditions and should be adjusted, especially when it is obvious that they are not working.

the problem is that those that went off the road were driving dangerously for the conditions. if not here, then at the next traffic light, or when someone suddenly put the brakes on.

• Like 1

the problem is that those that went off the road were driving dangerously for the conditions. if not here, then at the next traffic light, or when someone suddenly put the brakes on.

Granted, some drivers were going way too fast for conditions, comcast's problem here is there are DOT guidelines on work zone and traffic pattern protection that in no way, shape or form were remotely followed. Frankly, both employees were stupid. Once one vehicle goes off the road, you get off the road and call the cops for traffic control. Comcast most likely didn't want to pay cops.......

• Like 1

I do not disagree, but they could still sue and if Comcast or any major corporation is involved, who do you think they are coming for?

And as Edge stated, once one person goes off the road, the Comcast guy should have done something--if nothing else then to protect himself and Comcast.

Granted, some drivers were going way too fast for conditions, comcast's problem here is there are DOT guidelines on work zone and traffic pattern protection that in no way, shape or form were remotely followed. Frankly, both employees were stupid. Once one vehicle goes off the road, you get off the road and call the cops for traffic control. Comcast most likely didn't want to pay cops.......

on that note, my understanding is that the officers that go out and do those things make serious bucks.

on that note, my understanding is that the officers that go out and do those things make serious bucks.

In my experience, when we used them they were paid a flat OT rate by the town then reimbursed by us. In some towns, Marlboro in particular, if we were set up on a pole line no matter how well we had signs, cones, and flag men, the cops would shut us down and require police traffic control. They new how to make OT..........

In my experience, when we used them they were paid a flat OT rate by the town then reimbursed by us. In some towns, Marlboro in particular, if we were set up on a pole line no matter how well we had signs, cones, and flag men, the cops would shut us down and require police traffic control. They new how to make OT..........

i think that may be a state law now, although i don't know for sure. i never see any form of construction without police present.