Sign in to follow this  
Cereza

Those wacky UPS deliveries…

Did anyone else see this story?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/ups-delivers-semi-auto-rifle-instead-of-toy-for-christmas-gift/ar-AAlEoRd

"UPS delivers semi-auto rifle instead of toy for Christmas gift"

I love that they hustled the grandkid from the room like the rifle was going to jump up and fire all on its own. For real amusement, follow up with the extra brief Newsday article:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/couple-says-ups-delivered-assault-rifle-not-toy-for-grandchild-1.12765386

Turns out it was worth some serious cash…$10,000 to be exact. 

• Like 1

I heard this on 1010 yesterday about 1pm. They were making a big deal about it, as if it was going to start killing on its own. They also mentioned it had a copy of a DL and CCW permit in the box (it came from Arizona). It was obviously on its way to an FFL, and was either labeled wrong or the driver screwed up. Anywhere else in America (minus California) it wouldn't be newsworthy.

"UPS delivers semi-auto rifle instead of toy for Christmas gift"  

They were calling it an "ASSUALT RIFLE" on the radio, not a semi-auto.

You cannot trust UPS clowns to get it right.  However, it is not always the drivers fault.  I have seen two shipping labels stuck to a package. Labels sometimes do not stick well and fall off, then picked up by the next package down the belt. First one that gets read is where the package goes.  There have been cases of package handlers re-routing packages as well by slapping another label over the original.  Biggest problem is when package is taken back for examination and relabeling at a distribution point, they are brain dead in that department.

Update:.

The Swat Team was called in, and after an intense 6hr stand off the assault rifle gave up and was taking into custody.

I caught this news on MSNBC and saw the Black Rifles Matter group showed up but unfortunatly too late as the offending actor was already in custody.

UPS delivered like $4k in ammo to my neighbors a few years back this time of year. Holiday help couldn't locate my house, so they slapped a new label on it and changed the house number down one. That was an interesting Convo with both UPS and my neighbor and the town police who were called when a arsenal of bullets showed up randomly.

I had our mail lady leave this outside, in the rain... no plastic on it, either.

IMG_0552.jpg

Probably about $3,500 worth of gun there, as it was rebuilt and had the scope installed (was coming back from the scope installation). Was lucky that someone came home early, and got it out of the wet box. Didn't even get the required signature.

Had FedEx gouge the frame on my .45 PX4, which looked like someone stuck a key into the side of the box.

Really hate shipping things.

$4k of ammo? Was it pretty specific/expensive or did you order 20k rounds? My UPS guy hates me and I don't think I've ordered $4k of ammo in 3 years.

I ordered 9mm .45 and .223, enough to get me and a friend through an Obama administration. I ordered the second they called the election.

I thought that any firearm delivery goes through FFL(?)

Generally, if the firearm is changing hands in different states.

Gunsmithing or repair work can go back to the owner directly. If you were shipping a firearm for a specific purpose (hunting, for example), you would be ok.