myhatinthering

generators

I have a champion generator and it ran 18 hours a day during Sandy for 17 days. Never missed a beat or failed to start. Funny story, during sandy my son went down to Lowes for something and saw a dozen generators lined up outside. This was when you couldn't find one anywhere. When he asked a sales guy about them he was told they were being returned. Seems no one told the buyers that they are shipped without oil in them, even though there is oil bottles in the shipping box.

Not a criticism, just an observation:

It looks like it is 120V only, so don't buy it if you need to power 240V stuff (like well pumps or water heaters...though 3.4KW seems kinda small for those tasks anyway)

do you have one you recommend as I'd rather get one that gives me the option however, this seemed like a lot of gennie for the money?

Champion is good, I have a Champ 3500/4000 which is more than enough for me.  It runs the whole house as long as we don't microwave a pot pie, run the dishwasher, make toast and do a load of laundry at the same time. I give it a couple of pulls with the engine switch off, then flip the switch and it starts right up every time.

If I wasn't so cheap, I'd buy the inverter type.  They are very quiet, push clean power and seem to be more fuel efficient.

Have to ask, is this for on the job power or backup for your home? It looks fine for a job site, but not so much for a house unless you just want lights ane maybe a small fridge.

The HF Predator 8500/7000 is a best kept secrete as a fine back up genset. Convert it to duel fuel and it'll run your house all day without stopping.

Have to ask, is this for on the job power or backup for your home? It looks fine for a job site, but not so much for a house unless you just want lights ane maybe a small fridge.

The HF Predator 8500/7000 is a best kept secrete as a fine back up genset. Convert it to duel fuel and it'll run your house all day without stopping.

I've put 3 in for clients, and one for my mom. They're a kick ass genset that just recently was going for $479.

pretty much as loud as any other portable generator. until you get into the more expensive ones you can't really tell one from the other.

That being said I built a generator house for mom's. Does a good job of keeping it cooled and quiet. You can carry on a conversation standing right next to it with it running and closed up.

HPIM3075.JPG.small.jpg

HPIM3124.JPG.small.jpg

before I finished putting the vent fans and exhaust port in.

• Like 2

Not a criticism, just an observation:

It looks like it is 120V only, so don't buy it if you need to power 240V stuff (like well pumps or water heaters...though 3.4KW seems kinda small for those tasks anyway)

X2 - wells, water heaters, and many furnaces run on 240

pretty much as loud as any other portable generator. until you get into the more expensive ones you can't really tell one from the other.

That being said I built a generator house for mom's. Does a good job of keeping it cooled and quiet. You can carry on a conversation standing right next to it with it running and closed up.

HPIM3075.JPG.small.jpg

HPIM3124.JPG.small.jpg

before I finished putting the vent fans and exhaust port in.

I did a similar thing for mine.  The exhaust goes out a pipe in the back and the eves are open.  I t have two old fans inside that circulate air and run it with the doors closed.

6560651623_439e64b57f_d.jpg

6560650997_a2530e468d_d.jpg

only thing i could say on yours, howard, is to put some kind of protected openings at or near floor level, so fresh air draws in at the bottom and goes out the top.

on the one for mom I added 2 (10" Electric Curved Blade Reversible radiator Cooling Fan 12v 80w 850cfm) that pull air into the cabinet. When it's closed the cabinet is actually quite well pressurized, and help push the ducted exhaust gases out.

• Like 1

only thing i could say on yours, howard, is to put some kind of protected openings at or near floor level, so fresh air draws in at the bottom and goes out the top.

on the one for mom I added 2 (10" Electric Curved Blade Reversible radiator Cooling Fan 12v 80w 850cfm) that pull air into the cabinet. When it's closed the cabinet is actually quite well pressurized, and help push the ducted exhaust gases out.

I've got the two fans in there pulling fresh air from the openings under the roof, it provides more than enough air and keeps everything cool too.  I've run it for many hours at a time with the doors closed and it works great, plus you hardly hear it running.

Very nice - I'll look into that generator for the new house.  Can it be converted to Natural Gas?  I'm having a larger gas line put in so that we can supply the generator.

Any idea what the difference is between the EPA III and CARB versions?

EPA III:

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engine-generators/8750-peak7000-running-watts-13-hp-420cc-generator-epa-iii-63085.html

CARB:

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines-generators/gas-engine-generators/8750-peak7000-running-watts-13-hp-420cc-generator-carb-68525.html

I'd buy the EPA model.   The "cleaner" emissions of the carb model comes at some cost.  Either less HP/Torque or reduced durability, like it trashes the oil sooner or the emission gizmo clogs up and kills the engine.

Good info, thanks.

I have the champion generator in the first post, mine is the older version of it though. I haven't had any trouble at all with it. I use it for my camper and ran it for seven days straight many times in very hot weather. It's pretty quiet too compared to most cheap generators.