Sign in to follow this  
Recon Racoon

To build or buy

After moving to Florida (which went as well as was expected) and seeing how different the pay checks are compared to Jersey, I'm looking for a project to work on in my spare time.

If you were going to build or buy the following, which would you choose?

AR-15 in 300Blk

AK pattern in 5.45

I'm in a conundrum. I want to build all three, but I'll only have time to love one project. And it's going to be a piece meal build for the most part, except maybe the 1911 which I would buy sets of parts at a time. And the AK would be built up from a pre-bent receiver to make life a little easier.

So, what would you choose? With the exception of the AR, the choices are just for a fun build. To burn time and say I made something cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Everybody builds ARs. I've built 2 so far. They're really easy and common. Maybe the other options are way more common builds in free states and I just don't read about them, but they don't seem to be talked about nearly as often

So my vote is AK or 1911. Do something different. I would love to build my own of either (and wish I had the budget to do so).

I would also add a G3 (well, I'd want an MSG90) or MP5 to my list - believe either is doable, if expensive.

.300 BLK but it will be lame if you don't get a suppressor. You can SBR it and get Surefire SOCOM .30 cal can and run it on all your rifles including 5.56 and 7.62x51

AK would be fun but you'll need to invest in tooling. I would get a Krink parts kit and SBR it. Krinks are fun to shoot and you can call it the Osama bin Laden gun

1911. Buy a bone stock 1911. Stainless NIB Colts were going for $650 a few days ago. Shoot plenty of rounds through it and upgrade it over time depending on what you like. Buy the Kunhausen books and wrench away.

Other option is to pick up a FAL receiver on the group buy over at fal files. Get a parts kit which you like (STG, Rhodie, etc) and it will be a challenging but rewarding build.

I thought 308 AR. Get an 80% lower and jig and do it my self. That'd be pretty fun.

The idea of a krinkov crossed my mind, but I don't want to wait 6 to 9 months for the paper work to clear for the SBR stamp. Because my initial thought was to make a franken-ak. Krinkov barrel, short, with m4 style stock.

I really, really want to do an MP5 build, but they're stupidly, irresponsibly expensive. And I don't have the jigs to bend an HK style receiver.

The idea of a krinkov crossed my mind, but I don't want to wait 6 to 9 months for the paper work to clear for the SBR stamp. Because my initial thought was to make a franken-ak. Krinkov barrel, short, with m4 style stock.

pin a fake suppressor on it for the time being while waiting for stamp.   i have one on my M92s. 

Fitting and building a good 1911 is a serious undertaking.  I've not done it, but owning one and working on it myself has provided me with just enough experience and knowledge to be dangerous.  It is not a casual project.

I might be mistaken on this, but my limited understanding is that building an AK, like building a decent 1911, is a serious endeavor.  I have never dabbled with the AK platform, as much as I'd like to eventually.  They are neat.

Building an AR15 is much more casual; there is no shortage of bubbas on Youtube who can show you how to put one together.  Given the correct tools and an internet connection, a chimpanzee with a learning disability could build a safe and serviceable AR15 by the end of the weekend.

You could also build a Garand.  I built mine on a 1942 barreled receiver, and it was not particularly difficult.  More complicated than an AR15, but not as time consuming as putting together a good 1911 from scratch.

Either way, building your own firearm is a really rewarding endeavor.  You will learn much, and you can't put a price on knowledge.  Well, you can...but you get my point.

So I finally decided on building a 1911. Some parts are going to be difficult, others are going to be stupid easy.

I filed my taxes and with my usual return, I'm gonna start buying piece by piece until I get everything I want.

I'll be starting a thread and documenting my progress. If I succeed, that's great. If not, then at least you'll know why I'll be changing my screen name to stumpy.

• Like 1