Sign in to follow this  
SW99

Over night in MD

Hey All, 

Merry Christmas!

Question... 

I am going to NC this week coming up, however I will be stopping at a hotel in MD overnight (The Gayloard National Harbor).

I always take some of my guns with me as we do a lot of shooting when we are in NC. I have my FL CCW and know MD doesn't recognize it. So my question is, can I stop overnight in MD with my firearms (I double lock them, bore locked inside of a locked case with ammo in a separate locked container)?

I go to NC a lot but have never stopped overnight, I always drive straight there. 

I want to take them with me so we can go shoot but I'm thinking its not the best idea with the stop overnight in a state that doesn't recognize my permits. 

Thoughts?

SW99. 

If you enjoy shooting while in NC, by all means take your firearms with you. Is there a special reason you are staying at that particular hotel in MD? Why not drive a little further and stay in Virginia?

I would not give MD or DC any opportunities to introduce me to their F'ed up justice system.  There must be a reason to stay at this particular venue, while a very nice place, a quick hop over the I495 bridge puts you back in "America".

Since you're already on a public forum, why not give the MD SP a call?  Maybe they'll tell you Merry Christmas and have a great night's sleep, lol?????????

There are some questions that truly don't need the OPINIONS of folks here that are too cheap to send BAIL MONEY.......... 

• Like 1

They have a BIG Christmas event so I booked it for my kids and it's on our way to our destination. Kinda already knew that I wasn't going to take the guns but just wanted to see if anyone had personal experience with MD.

Guess I'll just have to shoot my cousins guns while we are there.

You can't have your guns in MD unless you are protected by FOPA (Federal firearm owner's protection act) which protects you from MD laws as long as your guns are locked up and separate from the ammo AND you are TRAVELING THROUGH Maryland.  As soon as you stop in MD, you are no longer traveling THROUGH and FOPA no longer protects you.  If you stop, you must follow MD law which says you can't have your guns.

Just don't stop in MD.

• Like 1

You can't have your guns in MD unless you are protected by FOPA (Federal firearm owner's protection act) which protects you from MD laws as long as your guns are locked up and separate from the ammo AND you are TRAVELING THROUGH Maryland.  As soon as you stop in MD, you are no longer traveling THROUGH and FOPA no longer protects you.  If you stop, you must follow MD law which says you can't have your guns.

Just don't stop in MD.

what if he's tired and needs to stop in MD?   The drive from north NJ is tiresome.

You can't have your guns in MD unless you are protected by FOPA (Federal firearm owner's protection act) which protects you from MD laws as long as your guns are locked up and separate from the ammo AND you are TRAVELING THROUGH Maryland. As soon as you stop in MD, you are no longer traveling THROUGH and FOPA no longer protects you. If you stop, you must follow MD law which says you can't have your guns.

Just don't stop in MD.

Yeah, thats the way I interpreted FOPA and the MD laws when I looked them up as well. So no guns this trip. O well. Merry Christmas all!

Keep your speed down, your mouth shut, and everything out of sight.......

^^^^^^

This.  And avoid traveling through the Harbor Tunnels... which you should be able to do, if you are going to the Gaylord.

If this is the Gaylord National Harbor Convention center, 201 Oxford St. Oxon Hill, MD 20745, then it's perfect.    Take the following route:

If you're crossing the Del. Memorial Bridge, or coming down I-95 from Penn., then

1) Take Del Route 1 to Del. Route 896 West.

2) Follow Route 896 West to US 301 South. 

3) Follow US 301 South all the way through Del, and Enter MD there. 

4) Continue on US 301 South All the way to where it meets US 50 W and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

5) Continue on US 50 West through to the Capital Beltway (I-495).

6)  Take The Capital Beltway (I-495) South to Ex. 38, and that should dump you within a couple of miles to the Gaylord.

The point being, You want to avoid the Harbor tunnels. The MTAP use ALPR cameras which can tag you as a FL CWFL owner, if you've had yours for a long time.  Refer to this Thread about John Fillipidis

I was in the same situation yesterday.

I spend be holiday in the outer banks, and my wife wanted to stay over in MD. I told her hell no and we stayed a few miles down the road in VA!

^^^^^^

This. And avoid traveling through the Harbor Tunnels... which you should be able to do, if you are going to the Gaylord.

If this is the Gaylord National Harbor Convention center, 201 Oxford St. Oxon Hill, MD 20745, then it's perfect. Take the following route:

If you're crossing the Del. Memorial Bridge, or coming down I-95 from Penn., then

1) Take Del Route 1 to Del. Route 896 West.

2) Follow Route 896 West to US 301 South.

3) Follow US 301 South all the way through Del, and Enter MD there.

4) Continue on US 301 South All the way to where it meets US 50 W and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

5) Continue on US 50 West through to the Capital Beltway (I-495).

6) Take The Capital Beltway (I-495) South to Ex. 38, and that should dump you within a couple of miles to the Gaylord.

The point being, You want to avoid the Harbor tunnels. The MTAP use ALPR cameras which can tag you as a FL CWFL owner, if you've had yours for a long time. Refer to this Thread about John Fillipidis.

Thanks for the info. I am just going to leave them home this time since I'm stopping in MD. I always drive straight through as it's only about an 8 hour drive so it's never been a concern I lock them up appropriately and go on my way. Since I'm stopping this time not worth the headache of trying to bring them. My cousin who lives there has guns so I'll just use his.

I was in the same situation yesterday.

I spend be holiday in the outer banks, and my wife wanted to stay over in MD. I told her hell no and we stayed a few miles down the road in VA!

My intention was to find a place in VA to spend the night and do something with the family but after seeing what the Gaylord had to offer I couldn't pass it up. My twins are going to love the ice slides and sculptures and all the activities they have going on.

Thanks for the info. I am just going to leave them home this time since I'm stopping in MD. I always drive straight through as it's only about an 8 hour drive so it's never been a concern I lock them up appropriately and go on my way. Since I'm stopping this time not worth the headache of trying to bring them. My cousin who lives there has guns so I'll just use his.

I think as long as you keep them locked up and hidden, and take the advice I and others have given, you shouldn't have a problem transporting them and staying overnight.  Of course, it is a risk that you might be stopped, but, if you take the route I mentioned, it is less likely that you'd be stopped for something other than a traffic violation, of which you are, ultimately,  in control. 

BTW, if I may ask, from where are you starting that it takes 8 hours?  From my former home near Hackettstown, it was 1/2 that time to arrive at the Captial Beltway.  I would Drive Rt. 57 to US-22 and town the Penn.Tpk. Northeast Ext. I-476, to I-495 to I-95 and then down the route I mentioned above.  4 hrs max.

I wouldn't try in Maryland but in theory you can bring a firearm between residences. Your hotel should be your temporary residence.

Or instead bring a shotgun/rifle which should be legal in Maryland.

btw: IANAL and have not first hand knowledge about Maryland so take this as a grain of salt.

plate readers = Big brother shit!   -rent a vehicle when driving with a gun in the car and remove ur front plate once u leave NJ.  (it gives away ur out-of-towner status, esp at night when they sit in the median and see the glare)  

I think as long as you keep them locked up and hidden, and take the advice I and others have given, you shouldn't have a problem transporting them and staying overnight. Of course, it is a risk that you might be stopped, but, if you take the route I mentioned, it is less likely that you'd be stopped for something other than a traffic violation, of which you are, ultimately, in control.

BTW, if I may ask, from where are you starting that it takes 8 hours? From my former home near Hackettstown, it was 1/2 that time to arrive at the Captial Beltway. I would Drive Rt. 57 to US-22 and town the Penn.Tpk. Northeast Ext. I-476, to I-495 to I-95 and then down the route I mentioned above. 4 hrs max.

Im in North Jersey, but I meant 8hrs to where I go in NC.

I may be going to Baltimore next week. Dose anyone know how MD laws effect HR218?

You mean LEOSA. HR218 was the bill number for LEOSA.

LEOSA specifically allows you to carry hollowpoints. As I understand it MD law forbids the sale of magazines overy 10 rounds but permits those already in possession of those magazines to keep them. No prohibition for possession by non residents as long as they don't transfer them to MD resident.

LEOSA never mentions magazine capacity.

If you're a Federal LEO carrying under your agency's policy for off duty carry all state laws can be ignored.