45Doll

Alexa... Was Someone Shot?

While watching some of the pre-Christmas commercials I of course saw the ads for the Amazon Echo and other competing products.

As I told my wife after one of them, it suddenly dawned on me. If these boxes are ready to respond to your voice commands, that means they are always listening. They are also connected to the Internet. So what is happening to ALL of the conversation these boxes overhear?

Now Arkansas police conducting a murder investigation want to know. I find it fascinating that Amazon won't say how it handles all the audio it intercepts. Moreover, the audio belongs to Amazon, not the Echo's owner.

Further, how about if your Echo is hacked? Could the audio be intercepted and used by a third party against you? Since it's digitized and traverses the Internet, you can be sure the NSA has it. 

Keep all of this in mind if you consider getting one.

• Like 1

I've heard these concerns before. While they are completely valid and (mostly) founded concerns, they also ignore the various other hot-mic devices that are around us: cell phones, laptops, smart TVs, new cars with mobile data, cloud-based home security systems...

We are quickly approaching (if we have not already reached) a point where staying away from remotely accessible cameras or microphones is no longer a matter of eschewing fringe luxuries.

I have one and am not worried. As always, if the Feds are listening, I tell them to bring enough beer and pizza for everyone.

When they say always listening, it listens for the activation word like Alexa, whats the weather. All questions are stored in your app cache and can be removed. But Amazon uses some data to better your experiences by helping it understand.

I have no worries and if you are doing nothing illegal, neither should anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

As far as I can tell, my Echo Dot doesnt start to record until it hears the wake up word "Alexa" or whatever you decide to change it to.  The police are attempting an end around the loss to the phone companies over breaking their security, because you can see and delete everything youve ever said to Alexa from the app on your phone.  This should fall under the same ptotections the phone companies have....

Other than that obvious concern, I LOVE mine.  I bought WiFi light bulbs, thermostat and my security system was already Zwave compatitble.  Its pretty cool.  "Alexa, I'm cold"  boom the heat kicks on...."Alexa, turn off the lights my kid always forgets to turn off"  done.....

• Like 1

The interesting thing is, hardware capability for a fully local solution (without having to send audio to cloud) existed for over a decade now. There is no reason to sell these "dumb terminals" to consumers at exorbitant prices. 

Consumers are willingly paying out of their pocket to have their privacy and rights raped. 

In summary, this "lets-push-everything-over-to-cloud" is a deliberate, sneaky solution looking for a problem. 

• Like 2

I have one and am not worried. As always, if the Feds are listening, I tell them to bring enough beer and pizza for everyone.

When they say always listening, it listens for the activation word like Alexa, whats the weather. All questions are stored in your app cache and can be removed. But Amazon uses some data to better your experiences by helping it understand.

I have no worries and if you are doing nothing illegal, neither should anyone.

I hope you said that with a sarcastic tone. 

• Like 2

In the other article (on engadget?) they also mentioned that police used data from a smart water meter to show excessive water use (something like 150 gallons in the middle of the night). Police was arguing water was used to cleanup after murder.

I found it even more interesting than amazon news. Using those Echo devices to collect evidence against owner is no-brainer. It was just a matter of time before it happened.

• Like 1

I hope you said that with a sarcastic tone.

No, I was serious. I'm not saying you or anyone. But if anyone is, well, then maybe worrying is what needs to be done. [emoji57]

As far as I can tell, my Echo Dot doesnt start to record until it hears the wake up word "Alexa" or whatever you decide to change it to. The police are attempting an end around the loss to the phone companies over breaking their security, because you can see and delete everything youve ever said to Alexa from the app on your phone. This should fall under the same ptotections the phone companies have....

Other than that obvious concern, I LOVE mine. I bought WiFi light bulbs, thermostat and my security system was already Zwave compatitble. Its pretty cool. "Alexa, I'm cold" boom the heat kicks on...."Alexa, turn off the lights my kid always forgets to turn off" done.....

I do the same thing. Everything is linked in some form or another. Fun, but expensive hobby. [emoji3]

• Like 1

I actually put my Echo on Mic Mute when I'm not using it or not home.

Why is it listening for the proverbial tree to fall in the forest? Lol....

Here we go... this should help. Can't believe they sell these now. Lmao...

https://www.amazon.com/Electro-Deflecto-Unisex-Foil-Size/dp/B01I497JAM/ref=pd_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QV3MD3SXWAXP7ZPM72AF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why is it listening for the proverbial tree to fall in the forest? Lol....

Here we go... this should help. Can't believe they sell these now. Lmao...

https://www.amazon.com/Electro-Deflecto-Unisex-Foil-Size/dp/B01I497JAM/ref=pd_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QV3MD3SXWAXP7ZPM72AF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you read the reviews?  Hysterical....:D

No, I was serious. I'm not saying you or anyone. But if anyone is, well, then maybe worrying is what needs to be done. [emoji57]

Apparently an average "law abiding" person commits about 3 felonies a day.  If most of us had nothing to worry about, then we should have no problem with firearm registration either (I recognize its much more complex topic).

As opposed to common belief, every law on the books is stacked against the regular Joe and our beloved leaders continue to push more such laws onto the books.  70+% of the current laws criminalize trivial things. 

And technically, there is no need for any of these services (such as Amazon Echo) to keep recordings of any voice for more than couple of seconds.  

And dont forget video / audio evidence is much more convincing than mere log of some web browser cache. 

• Like 1

I think my cell phone is spying on me. Whenever I'm talking to someone and we think something needs to be Googled ill open up the Internet and there will be a banner ad with what we were just talking about. Or ill start typing and it predictes what I'm about to type. 

I think I should start wrapping it up in tinfoil.

In the other article (on engadget?) they also mentioned that police used data from a smart water meter to show excessive water use (something like 150 gallons in the middle of the night). Police was arguing water was used to cleanup after murder.

I found it even more interesting than amazon news. Using those Echo devices to collect evidence against owner is no-brainer. It was just a matter of time before it happened.

Agreed, who knows what it is storing on the non-customer facing database. Say the word "gun" a few times, throw in a "I'm going to kill that so-in-so", and will the police show up, start monitoring you? Next say the word "crazy" a few times and you will be on the list. It's all in the eula

Does it only grab keywords? "Hi hon, looks like apple changed the water gun emoji, I see the neighbors tree dropped more dead leaves on our lawn, I will have to shred and rake again, where is the large bags and duck tape?". This could be gun/neighbor/dead/bag/tape, could be probable cause!

Interesting comments and insights.

When I want to know what traffic is on a network I use a 'sniffer' of some sort. I'd be interested if anyone has done that with the Echo or similar product. Specifically, I'd want to see if there was a live continuous stream of my sent audio being sent to the mother ship.

For those of you who think such concerns are tin foil material, I suggest you watch The Lives Of Others and imagine the Stasi in control of such devices. Are we close to that here? No. But the foundation has been laid. With no sign of abatement.

I don't have one of these and won't get one, so I'm not in the ring on this one.

Well unless they find this brainless perp actually used Echo to purchase tons of fertilizer and other crap, what do they think they'd hear? Hey honey, get me a fooking beer! Lol.

I know what they'd hear from mine even if its on all the time. Some examples might be:

- Look at the hooters on that babe!

- Gawd damn commie liberals!

- Dang Megan Kelly is hot but what a liberal dumass!

- Bahahaha, look at that dumass in the movie hanging by his testicle! Lmao!

- Hey hon, the dog pooped in the dining room again!

- Damn phone again! Always when your eating dinner or watching your fav cop show!

- and so on!

Lets see, hmmm, what else:

- Echo where is my package?

- Echo turn the temp up 2 degrees.

- Echo what is tomorrows weather?

- Echo, turn off the lights.

- Echo, Turn the fan on.

- Echo, Turn on the Christmas lights.

- Echo, play Tobie Kieth

- Echo, Ask bartender what is in a Blow Job!

Now is that interesting stuff for the Feds?

Again, if it is, bring beer and pizza and I might forgive you for breaking down more door!

You need to remember something. The millions of people that have smart devices is astronomical. The Feds have more important people to listen too. Most crap is of no interest! If I were to worry about every damn thing, my life would be more pathetically boring than it already is.

So break out the Tin Foil and twiddle your fingers till the black helicopters come. [emoji12]

The stream is almost certainly encrypted. Still, you could learn a lot just looking at the traffic patterns in the netflow data. Is the echo continuously streaming? Does it spike when you say the trigger word? Etc.

Further, how about if your Echo is hacked? Could the audio be intercepted and used by a third party against you? Since it's digitized and traverses the Internet, you can be sure the NSA has it.

Your cell phone can already do that, even when it's "off."

Meh, looks like I'm a little late.

Another interesting thing is the denial of services hack that happened a few months ago. All of these " things" were used. Lol

I'm embracing the tech. My wife still puts stickers over her laptop cameras.

Maybe a tinfoil cozy for Alexa?

Well unless they find this brainless perp actually used Echo to purchase tons of fertilizer and other crap, what do they think they'd hear? Hey honey, get me a fooking beer! Lol.

- Echo where is my package?

- Echo turn the temp up 2 degrees.

- Echo what is tomorrows weather?

- Echo, turn off the lights.

- Echo, Turn the fan on.

- Echo, Turn on the Christmas lights.

- Echo, play Tobie Kieth

I guess you changed your Echo to respond to "Echo" instead of "Alexa" also..

I had to cuz my neighbor's name is Alexa and the sound would bleed through the walls a little...

I have an Echo and just bought a dot, love them both.  We have the dot play rain noises at night to go to sleep.  Before I get out of bed I have it put on the financial news and my wife asks it about the weather. I really can't imagine they keep more than snippets of what it hears, even Amazon has finite storage capacity for worthless stuff.  I may or may not get up every morning and say "This is the day I am going to kill F*cking 0bamba"  No one has come knocking on my door :)

As far as the connected water meter someone brought up that reminds me of a story.  Years ago my town installed an automated water meter system and it connected to your phone line but they promised the phone would never ring and it would only be used in the middle of the night.  At the time we had "mandatory" water restrictions and you were only supposed to use "X" number of gallons per person.  My concern was they were going to dial into this everyday and track daily not just quarterly water usage.  I ignored all their letters to have it installed until one day they put a red tag at my front door that said if I did not respond they would cut my water off.  I sent them a letter and told them they could contact me to set an appointment to install it, but they would also have to install (at their cost) their own phone line unless they could demonstrate to me in their tarrif where it was a requirement to have a phone line to have water service.  That was the last I ever heard of and they continued to mail me postcards each quarter to manually read my own meter and mail the reading to them.

• Like 1

Another interesting thing is the denial of services hack that happened a few months ago. All of these " things" were used. Lol

I'm embracing the tech. My wife still puts stickers over her laptop cameras.

Maybe a tinfoil cozy for Alexa?

She is smart. There are published cases of laptop cameras used to record minors and others. Fresh off the news is an Android Ransomware infected LG Smart TV. 

When it comes to tinfoil (and prepping), dont forget that US Govt buys most tinfoil out there. Even some trivial departments (including stupid port of entry) dont allow smart phones or taking of pictures. 

I guess you changed your Echo to respond to "Echo" instead of "Alexa" also..

I had to cuz my neighbor's name is Alexa and the sound would bleed through the walls a little...

Lmao! The freaking tv commercials for it kept activating it. Fooking blew me out of the water playing loud hard rock one day. Almost shit a pickle! So that was that...lol!

...Are we close to that here? No. But the foundation has been laid. With no sign of abatement.

That's what worries me - if it's not being abused now, it could easily be in the future.  The infrastructure is set up for a Stasi/"Big Brother" -like constant surveillance and manipulation, just waiting for someone to take the reins.  Imagine a Hitler or Stalin or Mao coming to power with this kind of monitoring available to them.

In summary, this "lets-push-everything-over-to-cloud" is a deliberate, sneaky solution looking for a problem. 

A handful of companies have accumulated incredible amounts of data about individuals, society, and the physical world this way, and have been using it to their advantage for years:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_learning

No need to worry about any of this if you have a cell phone, especially if you have friends (does not even have to be you) that uses Facebook or other data collection outfits.  What happens with Facebook is they collect contact info about YOU from people that may just have your phone number in their device.  They then link that with the many database services and generate and entire profile of you.  Then tracking MAC addresses and IMEI info from phones they can track you anywhere.  They know more about you already than you know about you.

Want to know how bad this crap has gotten?  Here is one that freaked me out one day.  I very often good to Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol for matches on Sundays.  I only plug that information into my car GPS system, I never use google maps when driving.  One Sunday morning as I was backing out of my garage a Google announcement popped up on my phone that told me traffic was normal going to Old Bridge.  How the heck did it know I was going there at that moment.  They are watching!!!