45Doll

Alexa... Was Someone Shot?

No need to worry about any of this if you have a cell phone, especially if you have friends (does not even have to be you) that uses Facebook or other data collection outfits.  What happens with Facebook is they collect contact info about YOU from people that may just have your phone number in their device.  They then link that with the many database services and generate and entire profile of you.  Then tracking MAC addresses and IMEI info from phones they can track you anywhere.  They know more about you already than you know about you.

Want to know how bad this crap has gotten?  Here is one that freaked me out one day.  I very often good to Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol for matches on Sundays.  I only plug that information into my car GPS system, I never use google maps when driving.  One Sunday morning as I was backing out of my garage a Google announcement popped up on my phone that told me traffic was normal going to Old Bridge.  How the heck did it know I was going there at that moment.  They are watching!!!

Nothing should "pop up" unless you have Google Now / Google Assistant type of services enabled. Quite a few Google Services have Location Consent buried in them. Even having "wifi" enabled is good enough for Google to figure out where you are, where you have been and where you may be going, specially after they mapped out lot of wifi metadata as part of their Google Street Map drivebys.

...Lets see, hmmm, what else:

- Echo where is my package?

- Echo turn the temp up 2 degrees.

- Echo what is tomorrows weather?

- Echo, turn off the lights.

- Echo, Turn the fan on.

- Echo, Turn on the Christmas lights.

- Echo, play Tobie Kieth

- Echo, Ask bartender what is in a Blow Job!

Now is that interesting stuff for the Feds?

Again, if it is, bring beer and pizza and I might forgive you for breaking down more door!

So break out the Tin Foil and twiddle your fingers till the black helicopters come. [emoji12]

It captures way more than just what comes after the activation voice command:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/12/28/amazon-alexa-data-wanted-in-murder-investigation.html

This is local police that wants the info, not the feds. So it's not far fetched for nj to prosecute for ammo not purchased using your fid card, or quotes used by you to prove you are psycho unfit to own firearms.

It's not tin foil hat syndrome, it's what is possible to get from technology now.

Last week on Fox & Friends one of the hosts was shouting out "Alexa... play Wham's 'Last Christmas'". Just to see how much of the country he could get singing along.

Whether they wanted to or not.

It captures way more than just what comes after the activation voice command:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/12/28/amazon-alexa-data-wanted-in-murder-investigation.html

This is local police that wants the info, not the feds. So it's not far fetched for nj to prosecute for ammo not purchased using your fid card, or quotes used by you to prove you are psycho unfit to own firearms.

It's not tin foil hat syndrome, it's what is possible to get from technology now.

And you know this how? Cause the cops said so? The first paragraph states, "may have". They are grasping straws. Even so, as for us worrying about it. Goes back to what I said. Feeling guilty? Are you engaged in illegal stuff? Let them listen because like I said, I'll bore them to death.

Bottom line, who gives a shit! Stop worrying. You'll live longer.

My final note then I'm done fondling poor Alexa. The people in this country will always find fault in something. Even if its in the interest of our protection. The only way these type of people will feel safe is sitting in some unknown located underground bunker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, who knows what it is storing on the non-customer facing database. Say the word "gun" a few times, throw in a "I'm going to kill that so-in-so", and will the police show up, start monitoring you? Next say the word "crazy" a few times and you will be on the list. It's all in the eula

Does it only grab keywords? "Hi hon, looks like apple changed the water gun emoji, I see the neighbors tree dropped more dead leaves on our lawn, I will have to shred and rake again, where is the large bags and duck tape?". This could be gun/neighbor/dead/bag/tape, could be probable cause!

I'd expect this sort of thing to be happening sooner rather than later. I don't have an Echo but I would bet the EULA forces you to give up all rights and privacy if you want to use the device. At the very least, Amazon is learning as much as it can about you to profile you for their benefit...not yours. Maybe you get some benefit by the way of cool features... But they are in the business of making money, not protecting you.

Doubtful anyone has anything significant to worry about today...but at some point....they will know everything possible about their users. And in the same way Law Enforcement can subpoena your Smart Phone data, they will be able to subpoena your recorded conversations on these devices. Probably already can.

I'm just not a fan of surrendering privacy for gadgets that aren't all that important. Despite the techno cool factor.

Nothing should "pop up" unless you have Google Now / Google Assistant type of services enabled. Quite a few Google Services have Location Consent buried in them. Even having "wifi" enabled is good enough for Google to figure out where you are, where you have been and where you may be going, specially after they mapped out lot of wifi metadata as part of their Google Street Map drivebys.

IOS device no google now or assistant on device.

Doubtful anyone has anything significant to worry about today...but at some point....they will know everything possible about their users. And in the same way Law Enforcement can subpoena your Smart Phone data, they will be able to subpoena your recorded conversations on these devices. Probably already can.

I'm just not a fan of surrendering privacy for gadgets that all that important. Despite the techno cool factor.

Agreed. Why can't a company offer these great devices/services with no strings attached. I would pay more, or even subscription based if I know the data is not stored and only used for the intended benefit of the purchaser. Tinfoil hat or not, these companies have shown themselves not to be trustworthy. It's just like facebook conducting illegal social experiments on their users, they get caught and pay a small fine to the FDA then do it again. It may (or may not) be history repeating itself where instead of children turning in their parents, it's your electronics turning you in.

I have one and am not worried. As always, if the Feds are listening, I tell them to bring enough beer and pizza for everyone.

When they say always listening, it listens for the activation word like Alexa, whats the weather. All questions are stored in your app cache and can be removed. But Amazon uses some data to better your experiences by helping it understand.

I have no worries and if you are doing nothing illegal, neither should anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. Why don't we just get rid of the 4th and 5th amendments while we're at it? If you're not doing anything illegal, why shouuld you care if someone searches your house, car or person? Why worry about the right to remain silent?

Jeez.

• Like 1

IOS device no google now or assistant on device.

Do you have gmail installed on the iphone (my wife gets similar traffic messages after an upgrade and was able to disable these traffic notifications). I would be surprised if Apply doesn't do something similar to what gmail does.

Wow. Why don't we just get rid of the 4th and 5th amendments while we're at it? If you're not doing anything illegal, why shouuld you care if someone searches your house, car or person? Why worry about the right to remain silent?

Jeez.

What the hell you talking about? Where did I say any such thing?

How the eff does that apply? Why not just give up on anything that protects us?

Go get your foil hats please. I'm not wasting anymore time in this thread. You guys will find fault with any argument.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You have no worries now. What if the government wants to patsy you. No chance one is coming in my house. My on-star is disabled. Didn't buy Xbox one because it was always on. Government builds database as it is. Why give them more material to manipulate.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Do you have gmail installed on the iphone (my wife gets similar traffic messages after an upgrade and was able to disable these traffic notifications). I would be surprised if Apply doesn't do something similar to what gmail does.

Have a gmail account but no app for it on the phone.  I do have a google drive account and the app for that is on the phone.

Keep in mind how yesterday's tinfoil hat issues become today's nightmares. "Bring pizza and beer" is as naive as "I have nothing to hide" when allowing a search. As the famous Youtube classic "Never Talk to the Police" painfully notes it may or may not hurt BUT IT CAN NEVER HELP

Big Brother can use any comment you make, no matter how seemingly ironic or sarcastic, against you. If they're after you they'll never ever reason "yes we think he wants to kill XXX but in this conversation he praises her so let's call this off."

I turn off all live mic apps and all connectivity on all my devices when I'm not specifically using them. This has the benefit of eliminating the (as of today) possibility that someone can snoop on me, and improves battery life by at least two-fold.

Interesting comments and insights.

When I want to know what traffic is on a network I use a 'sniffer' of some sort. I'd be interested if anyone has done that with the Echo or similar product. Specifically, I'd want to see if there was a live continuous stream of my sent audio being sent to the mother ship.

For those of you who think such concerns are tin foil material, I suggest you watch The Lives Of Others and imagine the Stasi in control of such devices. Are we close to that here? No. But the foundation has been laid. With no sign of abatement.

I don't have one of these and won't get one, so I'm not in the ring on this one.

I've sniffed..so to speak ....a motorola droid. You'd be very surprised...or maybe not...what they are doing on those phones that they are saying nothing about.

I don't have one of those either, but I'll ask some other security people if they took a look at the date or know anyone thats done it.

I've sniffed..so to speak ....a motorola droid. You'd be very surprised...or maybe not...what they are doing on those phones that they are saying nothing about.

I don't have one of those either, but I'll ask some other security people if they took a look at the date or know anyone thats done it.

In my Fortune 500 IT career one of my particular quotes was "there's no substitute for knowing what's on the wire".

Maybe I should have applied to the NSA.

Well, not. My IQ is not that high. LOL!

Quick story. Mom calls me, tells me her and my father ran out of gas at Jack Baker's American Grill, and asks if I can bring them the red gas can from their garage. I was an hour away. A friend of one of my employees happened to see them and took my father to get gas can from their house a few miles away. Never texted Mom. Never texted anyone else. Didn't talk to anyone else about it.

The next morning my phone asks me to review Jack Baker's American Grill. I've never been there. I go on Chrome and I have ad placements for red gas cans. Never searched for one. We have plenty in the shop. Mom's account is separate from mine. Almost made me switch to iPhone. For now permissions have been disabled.

As for the government. 5 years ago a customer who is retired Monmouth County Sheriff and trained police in Kosovo for job with Homeland Security. His job was to review emails, phone calls, and texts that were sent to him by a team under him. If he felt they had something important in them he kicked them up. He told me all communication is stored by NSA. I've read it multiple times before his revelation and Snowden psych-op confirmed it. Yet we as Americans still allow it to go on.

How hard would it be for the government to piece together recordings of your voice to patsy you for say a mass shooting event? They turned a 105lb kid with Aspergers into the worst mass shooter in history. Another event with no video. Yet Columbine which was years before we have every moment caught on tape.

I'm obviously late to the conversation. Talking about The Lives Of Others, I really enjoyed the movie Citizenfour, which touches on all this kind of stuff and I'd recommend it if you're interested in this kind of thing. But as paranoid as Citizenfour seemed, it didn't really make me change any significant behavior. Then, like the guy who's GPS and google figured out that he was probably driving to the range, I had several eye opening experiences that by themselves were not particularly disturbing but when taken in total, were sort of unnerving. I did not really grasp how much of our lives really are data points that are already stored and sorted. If you're carrying a cell phone, you're part of it, period. If you're using the internet, you're in it. It's one of those slippery slope situations, we all benefit from it, and you seem paranoid if you're concerned about it, but our privacy really is disappearing entirely, for the benefit of either corporations or the government. It doesn't matter if you get a new phone, if you get a new computer, if you check or uncheck all the boxes in Advanced Settings. There are so many data points that are unique to you that you just can't opt out any more.

You have no worries now. What if the government wants to patsy you. No chance one is coming in my house. My on-star is disabled. Didn't buy Xbox one because it was always on. Government builds database as it is. Why give them more material to manipulate.

Go buy an Xbox one, it's not always on unless you set it to standby and the damn thing doesn't even have a microphone.

We just got an Echo Dot and keep it in the kitchen. The fact we have cell phones that track our every movement makes it null. AND iPhones now have automatic voice recognition just like the echo.

This very website, when I wasn't blocking ads, tracked my history.

Go buy an Xbox one, it's not always on unless you set it to standby and the damn thing doesn't even have a microphone.

We just got an Echo Dot and keep it in the kitchen. The fact we have cell phones that track our every movement makes it null. AND iPhones now have automatic voice recognition just like the echo.

This very website, when I wasn't blocking ads, tracked my history.

I know all about the cell phone and did get xbox one because I saw they changed it from always on that was originally planned. Not sure why I bought it since I have PS4 and backlog of games. I just couldn't pass up a good deal.

I don't think anything connected to the internet or wireless is really secure.

Not a tin foil hat guy, but if it has an IP address and firmware, then I assume it can probably be hacked and hijacked.  The price you pay for connecting to the Internet.

Your home video security system made in China is easily hackable:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hackers-infect-army-of-cameras-dvrs-for-massive-internet-attacks-1475179428

There's a device that can replicate your wireless car key by simply standing next to you:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/12/07/car-theft-remote-entry-national-insurance-crime-bureau/95085746/

21 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

So now  Amazon supposes that whatever Alexa overhears might be of interest to other companies. And notice that there are transcripts to allow access to.

Let's all just hot-mic ourselves to the Internet 24x7 and save them the trouble.

and this is really a surprise to anyone? really?