EWC88

Home owners insurance

I have State Farm for the sole reason that I have them for car and life as well. Used to have my motorcycle through them too until they roughly tripled my rates. No claims or anything, it was across the board for all motorcycles. As my agent explained it, people were buying a 12 month policy, cancelling it in the fall and getting a refund for 6-8 months. So they increased premiums for everyone.

I recommend NJM also. I have had several claims in the past few years due to storm damage and I've had my check in less than 2 weeks even after Irene and Sandy. Never raised my rates and the dividends are great.

I have had StateFarm forever, or maybe a little longer.  Very happy with them and get great discounts with house, umbrella and both cars.  The absolute best, but you pay for it, has to be Chubb.  My parents in NY have Chubb and their service and coverage is out of this world.  A year ago they had the flu in their fireplace fail and smoke from the fireplace backed up into the family room.  Chubb was out there with crews the next day cleaning and doing things my parents told them was not even needed.  All told Chubb spent over $35,000 to correct this problem.   

^^^I have Chubb, it was Ace Private Risk, but they bought/merged/got acquired by Chubb. It's excellent and complete. The service is top notch but it isn't for anyone looking to save money. I have no access to NJM but people who do are generally happy and the pricing is strong.

^^^I have Chubb, it was Ace Private Risk, but they bought/merged/got acquired by Chubb. It's excellent and complete. The service is top notch but it isn't for anyone looking to save money. I have no access to NJM but people who do are generally happy and the pricing is strong.

My dad had a long discussion with a senior person at Chubb and while Ace is good, it is being operated totally separate from the Chubb part that he is with.

Whats also nice with NJM is dividend checks you get back toward the end of the year. Both home owners which isn't much and auto. This years auto refund was about $188.....

Just in case you may not understand. You or someone has to work for a company that sponsors NJM. Your H&R Dept. can tell you. They give you the sponsor number so you can apply. Once in, even if you quit, they will still keep you.

IF you have nobody in your family that works for a sponsoring company, you can get your company to sign up easily. I don't believe it cost them anything. I've saved people an average of $1800 a year by telling them about getting involved with NJM. That's a good thing! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My dad had a long discussion with a senior person at Chubb and while Ace is good, it is being operated totally separate from the Chubb part that he is with.

Yes, I got moved over to Chubb after the acquisition. I started with Ace and they actually got rid of that part of Ace's business from what I've been told.

We also use Chubb as our business insurance underwriter, it didn't help me get a discount on my personal though!

We've had NJM for 25 years.  Umbrella policy.  When my daughter got her license, I shopped around a bit, as a teen driver is murder on your rate sheet.  Everyone laughed and said they couldn't even come close to the NJM rate.

For the house, they did give me a hard time last year about cracks in the driveway and some loose roof shingles.  I asked what they cared about cracks in the driveway?  They explained that a woman wearing heels could get stuck in a crack and fall down, then sue.

I am not making that up.

I did end up getting a resurface done, because it really did need to be done, but we're talking a $3000 paving job that we didn't really budget for.  But it looks nice now.  The sealant from Home Depot lasts around 9 days.

As to the roof, they sent an inspector a second time to look at it.  He scratched his head wondering what the issue was (there is no issue).  So that was the end of that.  No way I'm spending 12k for a new roof unless NJM wants to pick up the tab.  I'd even let them choose the color!

But all in all, they took care of me for Sandy damage and the storm after that.  No fuss, no muss, repairs done within a week.

Well looks like the most popular choice (NJM) I can't do, employer isn't a member or anything.

USAA quoted me $116 a month and I'm waiting to hear back from another company. Have to make decision by tomorrow though so hopefully company emails me the quote today.

What he said^^^^ NJM...

Combine it with their car insurance and you get two good deals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Same here...  Might be one of the few things I miss when I leave.

Looks like I will be going with USAA. They quoted me $116.03 a month while the other people I called NJ Skylands quoted me $998 the year so $84 a month. The $32 difference is because of value they quoted was higher.

I never heard of NJ Skylands and reviews were iffy

Looks like I will be going with USAA. They quoted me $116.03 a month 

My quote from USAA was about $114 a month (plus 2 vehicles) while on my current policy I am paying about $72 a month for State Farm (plus one vehicle) and the dwelling is valued at $66k more than in the USAA quote.  Something doesn't seem right, I was expecting USSA to be at least equal or lower to State Farm, I guess I will have to call USAA and ask ...

Yea my dwelling at first when looking at the two companies the NJ was higher in dwelling but then when I asked usaa they told me I also get 25% more just incase so that blew the other company by $30k. My mortgage is USAA, car insurance, so screw it let's do insurance lol