Vicious

Any awesome pump shotguns out there?

Didn't comment on Benelli's since I've never owned one and haven't really had much interaction with them...I do know people who like them, but I have never shot a Benelli pump.

For High Standards....their Flite King was a staple back in the 60's and 70's, and they show up regularly on the used market.  They also made some of the finest out-of-the-box competition .22 pistols as well as shotguns, but they've been out of business for years.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/High_Standard_Flite_King_Shotgun_Series

Wow, that K-1200 Deluxe Riot Model is awesome. It's a shame they went out of business.

Didn't comment on Benelli's since I've never owned one and haven't really had much interaction with them...I do know people who like them, but I have never shot a Benelli pump.

For High Standards....their Flite King was a staple back in the 60's and 70's, and they show up regularly on the used market.  They also made some of the finest out-of-the-box competition .22 pistols as well as shotguns, but they've been out of business for years.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/High_Standard_Flite_King_Shotgun_Series

The early H-S's were slick guns. Don't see them around anymore. 

BTW - No one mentioned the Winchester M12, another that's no longer made but has stood the test of time with its durability. 

The early H-S's were slick guns. Don't see them around anymore. 

BTW - No one mentioned the Winchester M12, another that's no longer made but has stood the test of time with its durability. 

Um...actually I did.  I have one in sweet 16.  I said:

Winchester 12 - a bit heavy, but a classic, well-made, well fitted shotgun.  Local gunsmith tells me he's never seen a "worn-out" model 12.  Works a little different from most pumps-you have to make sure you push the pump forward-THEN rearward-to work it.  loading is a little different...if you're not used to it, you will think the shell isn't all the way in the magazine.  safety on the trigger guard.

• Like 1

Mossberg's Maverick 88 - on sale right now at Dick's Sporting Goods for $179.99

A good basic pump based upon the Mossberg 500 available in hunting and/or home defense configurations.  Worth a look!

Mossberg's Maverick 88 - on sale right now at Dick's Sporting Goods for $179.99

A good basic pump based upon the Mossberg 500 available in hunting and/or home defense configurations.  Worth a look!

Hmm... I have been meaning to stop by there anyway. I'll have to check it out.

I've never shot a Maverick, but the price is so cheep I have been tempted several times.  I have owned a couple of Mossberg 500's, worked on others, and currently own an old original (single action arm) version.  The Maverick 88 is nothing more than a slightly simplified Mossberg 500 - made in America (Texas), not China.

Dick's online info:

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35471686&cp=4406646.70516396.4414427.33613696&categoryId=33614156

A good shooting review of the Maverick 88 by Hicok45:

I've never shot a Maverick, but the price is so cheep I have been tempted several times.  I have owned a couple of Mossberg 500's, worked on others, and currently own an old original (single action arm) version.  The Maverick 88 is nothing more than a slightly simplified Mossberg 500 - made in America (Texas), not China.

Assembled in Eagle Pass, Tx on the Rio Grande, so close to Mexico you could spit into the river.  The actual parts are sourced worldwide, mostly in Mexico.  How else could you sell it so cheap.  No thanks.

There is a used Inland M-37 Trench at Dunklebergers in Stroudsburg, PA for a little over a grand if your interested.  In really great condition.

https://www.inland-mfg.com/Inland-Shotguns/M37-Trench-shotgun.html

That Inland is beautiful. What is with the MSRP though? It is just a dressed up Ithaca.

Hmm... I have been meaning to stop by there anyway. I'll have to check it out.

For $180 it's not bad at all, if you buy a Mossy 500 slide action and forend is almost a 500. I have one and changed the forend quite some time ago. Safety is on the rear of the trigger guard not on the receiver. It's got a polymer trigger group that I'm not nuts about and it's not interchangeable with the 500 trigger group but I've never had a problem with it. Hey, it's not an Ithaca or 590a1 but I've put more rounds through it than I can count and never had a failure. If you go for the 500 slide action, you can put on Magpul furniture.... Not a bad HD shotgun for the price.

For $180 it's not bad at all, if you buy a Mossy 500 slide action and forend is almost a 500. I have one and changed the forend quite some time ago. Safety is on the rear of the trigger guard not on the receiver. It's got a polymer trigger group that I'm not nuts about and it's not interchangeable with the 500 trigger group but I've never had a problem with it. Hey, it's not an Ithaca or 590a1 but I've put more rounds through it than I can count and never had a failure. If you go for the 500 slide action, you can put on Magpul furniture.... Not a bad HD shotgun for the price.

Or if you want to go to the far side you can buy a kit for it that with configure it like this:  :-) http://www.adaptivetactical.com/products/venom-10rndrotary-system.php

If you go to Dick's make sure your FID and D/L match EXACTLY.

My middle initial/name is on my FID, but not on my D/L. It is on my Social Security Card, but not my birth certificate... which DMV goes by. Anyway, never an issue with any FFL in this state... except it goes against Dick's firearm sales policy. Other people have had similar issues, like living in Oakhurst, but the FID says Ocean because that department filled it out (same zip codes).

That Inland is beautiful. What is with the MSRP though? It is just a dressed up Ithaca.

$1260 list.  Well it is a repro of the WWII Ithaca.  Actually both Inland and Ithaca contribute to the final product.  Looked at it carefully the other day, beautiful shotie, but I do not need another shotgun of this type.  Someone will enjoy it, but it's not cheap that's for sure.

If you go to Dick's make sure your FID and D/L match EXACTLY.

My middle initial/name is on my FID, but not on my D/L. It is on my Social Security Card, but not my birth certificate... which DMV goes by. Anyway, never an issue with any FFL in this state... except it goes against Dick's firearm sales policy. Other people have had similar issues, like living in Oakhurst, but the FID says Ocean because that department filled it out (same zip codes).

Dick's, name says it all.  Getting vibes from Mipa, but I won't say it.  How's that 67gtonut?

Um...actually I did.  I have one in sweet 16.  I said:

Winchester 12 - a bit heavy, but a classic, well-made, well fitted shotgun.  Local gunsmith tells me he's never seen a "worn-out" model 12.  Works a little different from most pumps-you have to make sure you push the pump forward-THEN rearward-to work it.  loading is a little different...if you're not used to it, you will think the shell isn't all the way in the magazine.  safety on the trigger guard.

Recoil mitigates the "pump forward THEN rearward to work it issue." You should never notice this in the field when shooting. 

Recoil mitigates the "pump forward THEN rearward to work it issue." You should never notice this in the field when shooting. 

Hmm...I think you're right...Its been awhile since I shot it (its an old family shotgun...); now I wanna go out and see!  (but I dont feel like going out in the snow!)

Dick's, name says it all.  Getting vibes from Mipa, but I won't say it.  How's that 67gtonut?

I'm not so "anti-Dick's" as many here.  Yes, I know they stopped selling "black" guns, but they ARE still selling guns/ammo in NJ, which is more than I can say for most of the other stores around.  I generally agree with Ronald Reagan's comment that "my 80 percent friend is not my 20 percent enemy".

I do like their "$10 off $50" promo they have been running for the last year or so for buy clay loads to feed the shotguns.  Essentially I use one of their coupons to buy a case, I go home and fill out a survey, they give me another 10 off 50 coupon, and I go buy another case the next time I'm passing their store.  The coupon is equally good for stuff that's already "on-sale", so a $52.99 case of Remington Gun Club (on sale this week) becomes a $42.99 case.  It would also make a $179.99 shotgun a $169.99 shotgun....

Short answer... nope.

Longer answer... look around for an older trade-in 870. Look for exterior finish wear, but good internals. If it is too ugly, refinish it.

My 870 Police...IMG_0556.jpg

Oh, and there is nothing wrong with Ithacas. Run the gun correctly, and it will function 100%. Older Ithacas would fill in for an 870, just making sure it isn't shot to hell.

My Ithaca...E4EFF032-064B-4542-A2B2-2B83454C9075_zps42097A96-E7D3-4FEA-AA01-7722F0BF96B2_zpsE7743DAE-B4AE-4A9B-9080-836B4B0CC6D0_zps

That Ithaca is beautiful, is that new?

That Ithaca is beautiful, is that new?

Nope.

It is an early-1990s Ducks Unlimited Guide Gun (non-slamfire gun). My father has one that the previous owner cracked the wrist of the stock (very uncommon stock, but he loves that shotgun). I picked that up to put the stock on his gun for his Father's Day present. When I was done, I had to get a stock whether I was going to keep it or sell... decided to keep it (I like the design).

Had Rose Action Sports shorten the barrel down to about 20", and thread for Remington chokes. I then sent it to Robar for NP3 Plus, which is why it looks the way it does.

• Like 1

Nope.

It is an early-1990s Ducks Unlimited Guide Gun (non-slamfire gun). My father has one that the previous owner cracked the wrist of the stock (very uncommon stock, but he loves that shotgun). I picked that up to put the stock on his gun for his Father's Day present. When I was done, I had to get a stock whether I was going to keep it or sell... decided to keep it (I like the design).

Had Rose Action Sports shorten the barrel down to about 20", and thread for Remington chokes. I then sent it to Robar for NP3 Plus, which is why it looks the way it does.

I'd love to find something like that.......

Nope.

Early 90's would technically make this an 87, correct? 

Your definition of a pump is very different then mine ...

It was in response to the OP's description of handling of the M2, "He pulled a Benelli M2 off the shelf. ZOMG. I felt like a little kid. It had the "look." And when I shouldered it, well, I felt like a little kid I was so excited."

It's 2017.

You can spend under 200 bucks and get a shotgun that will last you a lifetime, do whatever you need it to do, and make it your own. Chinese made, Turkish made, Italian made, Brazilian made, American made, or made on Mars. It doesn't matter, they all seem to work.

It's 2017.

You can spend under 200 bucks and get a shotgun that will last you a lifetime, do whatever you need it to do, and make it your own. Chinese made, Turkish made, Italian made, Brazilian made, American made, or made on Mars. It doesn't matter, they all seem to work.

I get that, but I was willing to drop some extra cash for one that is "a cut above."

• Like 1

I was looking for something with a steel receiver, dual action bars, 18" or 18.5" barrel with a flush mag tube, ability for all parts to be replaced (i.e. no pinned, staked, or riveted parts), and a great track record, or a newer manufacturer using a proven design.

I want it to work when I pull the trigger.

I am getting this for the purpose of shooting a lot of steel and/ or paper 50 yards and in. It will also be next to my other "bump in the night guns," but statistics say I will *never* use it. It is going to be a fun gun, but I would like something that has some pride of ownership.

Jeez Ray Ray, you couldn't get that from my previous posts.

I know just about any gun can do what want, but pay attention to the line "pride of ownership." That's why I started out asking about guns that may not be mainstream.

Sorry, I was back reading all if your posts AFTER you posted that. Based on your preferences, you are leaving yourself with 2 main choices.

Mossberg 590 A1

Remington 870 Special Purpose

Sorry, I was back reading all if your posts AFTER you posted that. Based on your preferences, you are leaving yourself with 2 main choices.

Mossberg 590 A1

Remington 870 Special Purpose

Actually, if he's looking for a steel receiver, he can drop-off the Mossberg.  Their "steel-to-steel lockup" means that the barrel and bolt are made of steel.  The Mossberg receiver is aluminum.