Sign in to follow this  
JimB1

Went in for shoes, ended up with a shotgun too!

My wife picked up a Benelli Ethos a month or so ago mainly to learn sporting clays with so I've been thinking about getting something too but I was thinking about maybe renting some things and then deciding what I wanted. I'm not really in any rush but sometimes the deals are just too good.

So I was x-mas shopping a couple of weeks ago and was in Dick's in Union picking up some stuff and figured I'd check out the shotguns they had. I have been reading up on the newish Remington V3 but haven't seen one in person yet ( and still haven't) but they had a few others on my list of possibles and in the corner was this walnut stocked Stoeger m2000 12 ga 28" barrel semi-auto on clearance. They were asking $250 but reviews seem to be 50/50 on it. Most people like the way it feels but there are quite a few people reporting feeding issues with them so I figured I'd pass on it.

I went in today to look for a new pair of hiking shoes (found a nice pair of Merrell's btw) and since it was pretty quiet in there today I figured I'd see if they had anything new in the shotgun rack. Nothing new but they still has the m2000 but I noticed some scratches in the barrel that I didn't see there the first time. I got to talking with the guy there and he said they had the box and all the accessories and paperwork and were just looking to move the old stock out and he could give me another 10% off for the scratches. So he called up the manager and he ended up taking 20% off bringing the price to $199.97! Heck, I figured even if I hated it I could resell it used for that price so I bought it. Unfortunately NICS probably won't go through for a couple of days so I couldn't bring it home today but no big deal, I'm not going to get to shoot it for a bit anyway so waiting a few days isn't a hardship.

When it does get home, it'll get a full cleaning and oiling up plus a few parts polished that people have said help fix the reliability issues they've seen. Seems like some minor work makes these pretty decent shooters.

So hopefully I'll make it to the next shotgun shootout to see if it's got the right stuff :)

New Year, New Shotgun!

-Jim