Jpknj

Not a good day at Garden State in Lakewood.

A good way to prevent this would be a policy that customers shooting rentals when finished

should notify an RSO. The RSO would ensure the rental weapon is clear before returning it to the counter.

The counter person should also check that it's clear prior to storage.

I am sure they had a policy in place to prevent this from happening but adding a rule that only an RSO may transport a rental weapon from the counter to the firing line and back

to the counter would only help. At least check and flag it. Thank God the employee will be okay and that no one else was hurt.

I never rented a gun but I would always carry and present a revolver with the cylinder open or if a pistol, slide locked back or flagged.

• Like 1

How do you ever touch a gun without the first thing you do is check the condition of it? I do this every single time - no exceptions. Sometimes I expect it to be loaded and I check that it is. More often I expect it to be unloaded and that can be checked visually if the action is open before you touch it.

• Like 5

The story says "a 61 year old employee from Neptune had accidentally shot himself in the hand while retrieving a rental gun from a storage cabinet. "  How on earth does this happen?  Sounds like a multi-person screw up.  First the customer should have cleared the gun before having an RSO check it out.  Then the person storing the gun should have checked it before putting it away.  Then the 61 year old employee should have checked and kept his or her finger off the trigger before verifying it was clear.  There is really no excuse for this.

• Like 7

Me and my buddy went down at 3pm today and the place was packed shoulder to shoulder. show room waiting room education room every spot was packed. We both said hell no to waiting an accident is going to happen. We left and went to shore shot and that place was packed to. As we went back to the parkway calling it quits cops came racing through. Never did we wish harm specially to the employees. i would never imagine it would be an employee, we figured it would be a new gun owner. The way they were trying to push customers through, it was bound to happen with a round chambered in a rental. wishing for a speedy recovery. 

:facepalm:

Complacency breeds contempt. 3 out of 4 rules violated here.

Rule 1 was ignored completely.

If the employee had been following rule 2, it would still have gone bang, but it wouldn't have hurt him.

If he followed rule 3, it wouldn't have gone bang.

Every time you try to prove you are smarter than a loaded gun, you get an opportunity to be proven wrong.

I like this at the end of the article:

Authorities have asked anyone with information about the shooting to call Detective Chase Messer at 732-363-0200.

Like it was a drive by or something... :rolleyes:

I got some info about the shooting for ya... Somebody stored a loaded weapon. Someone else violated 3 of the 4 commonly accepted firearms safety rules and subsequently shot themselves.

I hope the employee recovers and I hope there is some mandatory remedial training for the entire staff. This will likely be the safest range in NJ for the next few months.

• Like 4

This is why heritage guild range stores all rentals in the range in lockers. A RSO checks them in and out. Renters are given a card at desk out front specifying the firearm to give to a RSO inside the range. He then brings over the gun, check clears and goes over everything with renter before allowing them to shoot. When done shooting rental the RSO comes over and check clears the firearm and then re-cases it and puts it in the locker where rentals are stored. Very simple process

• Like 3

This is why heritage guild range stores all rentals in the range in lockers. A RSO checks them in and out. Renters are given a card at desk out front specifying the firearm to give to a RSO inside the range. He then brings over the gun, check clears and goes over everything with renter before allowing them to shoot. When done shooting rental the RSO comes over and check clears the firearm and then re-cases it and puts it in the locker where rentals are stored. Very simple process

i always use chamber flags in all my guns, i never get why garden state doesn't use them. If the chamber flag is missing thats the first red flag. 

• Like 3

i wish the press was this zealous when police shoot themselves. You know the liberals are going to have a field day with this

Don't blame the press on this one. Completely ridiculous that this happened by an employee at a range.

I posted in a dupe thread:

I believe this type of carelessness cost a life at the range in PA of an employee. How is it that people don't know that guns are all loaded or should at least be handled as if they are. Checking before storage and checking when retrieving is basic safety.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention that I'm glad this is an injury that will be recovered from--this could have been fatal. Hopefully the security cameras will reveal the guilty party who stored the gun incorrectly.

• Like 1

I have to say, gun rentals are a horrible idea.  Between people renting to commit suicide and accidental issues, not sure it's a practice that should continue.

I know it's no applicable to the current situation and I'll get heat,  but IMO - the only people that should be able to rent a gun are FID holders. 

• Like 1

As a member who was there with my son a week ago; I am very disappointed to hear this happened. Inexcusable for all the reasons stated above.

I agree. I'm willing to bet, having dealt with the time rush, the renter was out of time and told to pack it up. Not knowing the rules they just put the weapon back in the case not thinking of the danger. 

i really am torn with the rental idea, its a necessary evil for the survival of the business, but has consequences that cast a shadow on the sport of shooting and gun ownership. 

Sorry to hear this. They are a nice place and have a good thing going. I don't like the idea of no rentals, especially not the idea of that being a law. If not for rentals I never would have had the chance to shoot and see that I like guns, I actually didn't know a single person that owned a gun when I bought one, and still personally know only three people that are gun owners. 

I have to say, gun rentals are a horrible idea.  Between people renting to commit suicide and accidental issues, not sure it's a practice that should continue.

I know it's no applicable to the current situation and I'll get heat,  but IMO - the only people that should be able to rent a gun are FID holders. 

So you want to take away many gun range's primary source of income?

IMO - the only people that should be able to rent a gun are FID holders.

First I'll call BS on FPID they prove nothing other than paperwork.

Secondly, this was a range employee. Third I'll ask why you feel that way?

Wow. A nearly fatal and tragic mistake by multiple people (several of which were employees). Glad the employee is going to be okay and hopefully a "learning experience" for the company and shooting community.

Disagree with the sentiment above: rentals, similar to beginning classes, are critical to bringing in new shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Stop.

Gun rentals didn't make the employee forget the basic tenets of safe gun handling and more than they make people suicidal.

At some point, we need to stop the PC garbage and place the blame for the bad things that happen squarely where it belongs - the individual handling the firearm.

I should be able to place 1000 guns, loaded or not, on a table in front of any range employee and they should be fully capable of safely checking their condition and store them appropriately without any loud noises or injuries.

• Like 26

Found the Weinberg voter

• Like 4

Stop.

Gun rentals didn't make the employee forget the basic tenets of safe gun handling and more than they make people suicidal.

At some point, we need to stop the PC garbage and place the blame for the bad things that happen squarely where it belongs - the individual handling the firearm.

I should be able to place 1000 guns, loaded or not, on a table in front of any range employee and they should be fully capable of safely checking their condition and store them appropriately without any loud noises or injuries.

I am pissed that I can only "like" HE's post once!  HE nailed it on the head!

• Like 2

NJ.COM is now reporting it.  

Basically quoting the police article.  However, on my screen at least, in the middle of the wording, there is an inset box where they also bring up the suicides that have occured at NJ gun ranges.   

http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2017/01/pistol_range_employee_shot_himself_in_the_hand_pol.html#incart_river_index

NJ.COM is now reporting it.

Basically quoting the police article. However, on my screen at least, in the middle of the wording, there is an inset box where they also bring up the suicides that have occured at NJ gun ranges.

http://www.nj.com/ocean/index.ssf/2017/01/pistol_range_employee_shot_himself_in_the_hand_pol.html#incart_river_index

Of course they are. Expect another push for the "save the children from gun range suicide bill" by our esteemed legislature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1