al7601

painting polymer ak mags

Painting any magazines is a bad idea. Paint chips can interfere with the gun's function.

If you must have color coordinated magazines the dye option is better. Never did it don't know about durability. I'd try one magazine before I do them all.

I've rattlecanned a bunch of polymer mags (magpul and Hexmag) with Krylon/Rustoleum and found that spraying them first with an adhesion promoter (e.g.,  a can of the Dupli-Color stuff that you can get a Pep Boys) helps to make the paint stick better and last longer. It seems to work best  if you do very light coats and flash each one with a hair dryer or heat gun (set on low).

Just wanted to update everyone. I dyed them black with Rit Dye from Walmart, had them soak for 10 minutes and they came out amazing! You'd never tell they used to be brown. They are circle 21 mags and they were brown.

thanks for help everyone. 

Just wanted to update everyone. I dyed them black with Rit Dye from Walmart, had them soak for 10 minutes and they came out amazing! You'd never tell they used to be brown. They are circle 21 mags and they were brown.

thanks for help everyone. 

Got pics?

I think it may be the flash. when lined up next to a black polymer stock it looks the same.  The mags are no where near new and for $2.67 for the dye, I'm happy. I'll examine them in the sunlight and see if I need to dip them again. That'll be the true test