fishnut

A road trip to NH with a 1yr old

My wife and I are probably crazy for planning a road trip to Jackson NH with our daughter who will be a little over a year old when we go in july. I need a place to stop and let my daughter and dogs strech their legs.I'll have hand guns and long guns with me so I want to avoid NYC and stopping in NYS at all costs. I was thinking about stopping in southern VT somewhere maybe a park or a roadside attraction with food, I'm open to ideas. Trying to make the stop about 4 hours away from Hunterdon county.

Best way to go is Rte 84 through CT and MA then north but you'll have to stop in a gun-unfriendly state. So what? You're not planning to clean your guns in the MacDonald's parking lot are you?

Otherwise you can go up the NY Thruway to the northway, get off at Fort Anne, which is practically vermont. Should take you 4 hrs. You then have a schlepp across VT and NH.

We took our 4 month old up to Lake Placid one year. But she was a fantastic sleeper. OJ Anderson was the Giants' RB at the time. 

I take this route pretty regularly -- Just follow the federal laws with the guns till your in NH

Tapan zee to 684 to 84 all the way thru conneticut to the mass pike which is 90 -- your in NY for about 30 minutes

about 5 minutes on the mass pike is a very nice rest stop and it's about the 4 hour mark --

From there I only go 1 exit to worchester rt 290 to 190 to 13 which I take all the way up into NH 

My destination when I take this route is New Boston --  usually lay over a day there at my sisters house then carry on to Warner, NH where I have some land to get away from it all

Youll find yourself stopping whenever your daughter needs to rather than when you want to.. mine basically slept the whole way to Michigan so it was basically a straight shot. On the way back she wasnt all too great and we ended up spending half the day in rest stops and stuff to calm her down.

Thanks guys for the suggeations. I figuess that we probably stop at most of the rest stops anyway, she hates car rides and is not a good sleeper so the more stops the better. Thanks for the route heavyopp ill probably take that or a close variation. As always I will follow all federal laws while transporting my firearms untill I am in a state that recognizes my Carry Permits. Keep the suggestions coming if anyone knows of a good place to stop other than a rest stop.

In Conway and North Conway there are a ton of places to eat and a lot of outlet stores, a train museum and white mountain firearms. About 50 miles down the road in Wolfeboro there is the Wright museum, a WW2 museum about what was happening in the U.S. during the war, war bonds, gas rationing, victory gardens etc. Also in that town there is a antique boat museum, but I didn't find that all that interesting, but I'm not interested in old boats.

In Conway and North Conway there are a ton of places to eat and a lot of outlet stores, a train museum and white mountain firearms. About 50 miles down the road in Wolfeboro there is the Wright museum, a WW2 museum about what was happening in the U.S. during the war, war bonds, gas rationing, victory gardens etc. Also in that town there is a antique boat museum, but I didn't find that all that interesting, but I'm not interested in old boats.

great! Thanks for the info. How do you like that area of NH. We're going up there for vacation/scouting out the area. I've convinced the wife to move out of state after her 98 yr old grandma (we take care of her) dies. Instead of living in grandma's house as we originally planned. So far the Conway NH area is our #1 choice.

I do the 684/84 to 91 up to Keene.  Have done it many times with dogs.  There's small rest stops along the way.  I always stop at this one on the way back: https://www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2%B013'53.5%22N+73%C2%B040'51.8%22W/@41.231528,-73.6832337,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d41.231528!4d-73.681045

Rush hour can be killer.

Also if anyone has any suggestions for things to do or not do around jackson NH. Yes I know about Mt. Washington already lol.

If you're driving six hours you must have some activity or things to do in mind already, no?

It's a small detour, up Rte 1, but you should stop at the Kittery Trading Post in Kittery, ME. Your eyeballs will pop out. I have a fleece I bought there 21 years ago that I still wear.

The northern 1/3 of N.H. is the mountain section and is pretty remote EXCEPT the Conway area because of the outlets. Expect lots of traffic in that area and there is no way around it. Also, north of Jackson about 50 miles is the town of Errol that has a huge hunting and sporting goods store.

If you're driving six hours you must have some activity or things to do in mind already, no?

Yeah going up just to spend time time in the mountains little hiking, fishing, sight seeing ect and checking out the area as a possible place to move to. In the at I've asked the same question on this forum for at vacations and had some great info on what to do and what to skip.

Yeah going up just to spend time time in the mountains little hiking, fishing, sight seeing ect and checking out the area as a possible place to move to. In the at I've asked the same question on this forum for at vacations and had some great info on what to do and what to skip.

You can research everything these days on the intraweb.

NH was a wonderful place when I lived there nearly 40 years ago. Been invaded by liberal Massachusettsites but still a strong libertarian and gun culture. Low crime too. I'd move there in a heartbeat were it not for elderly parents and a wife who hates the cold.

If the baby cooperates you really should check out the Kittery Trading Post. 

You can research everything these days on the intraweb.

NH was a wonderful place when I lived there nearly 40 years ago. Been invaded by liberal Massachusettsites but still a strong libertarian and gun culture. Low crime too. I'd move there in a heartbeat were it not for elderly parents and a wife who hates the cold.

If the baby cooperates you really should check out the Kittery Trading Post.

asking on here is researching on the interweb. Lol. Ill keep the trading post in mind buy it's pretty far away from where were staying and can't stop on the way up or down because of the dogs

I do the 684/84 to 91 up to Keene.  Have done it many times with dogs.  There's small rest stops along the way.  I always stop at this one on the way back: https://www.google.com/maps/place/41%C2%B013'53.5%22N+73%C2%B040'51.8%22W/@41.231528,-73.6832337,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d41.231528!4d-73.681045

Rush hour can be killer.

Those rest stops on 91 up north smell like urine in the summer -- they are just a parking lot, no buildings --  everyone just pees on the blacktop

asking on here is researching on the interweb. Lol. Ill keep the trading post in mind buy it's pretty far away from where were staying and can't stop on the way up or down because of the dogs

Point taken.

There must be a cheap taxidermist nearby. Just sayin'.

My wife and I really like the Warner area -- It's probably an hour south of Jackson 

We liked it so much that we bought 51 acres with the intention to build a log home and move away from this rat race we call home

Warner is a good compromise between being away from it all and still having civilization close by -- concord is a 20 minute drive

Warner has supermarket, 2 major gas stations, dunking donuts, subway, Mcdonalds, and plenty of small shops and restaurants -- Drive 6 minutes from all this and I have 51 acres of wooded goodness  -- you'd  never know all the civilization was right around the corner

Come off the property and make a left on 101 and you have Lake sunapee -- I believe its the 2nd largest lake in NH -- another 20 minute ride

I don't get up there nearly enough -- just waiting for the day we can say goodbye to this money sucking state and leave here permanently -- I'll need to work but there is still plenty going on up there that I'm not too concerned -- I'm sure I'll find something to earn an income once I get motivated...

We are looking at the Conway area because of the tourism in the area. The plan is to sell the home we have here and buy a bed and breakfast and or campground or something like that. But first things first, we will head up there this summer and see if we like the area then we will figure out how to make money and keep my wife at home to raise our daughter