shooter28

Shipping a handgun to a gunsmith

I think this is the right place to post this but forgive me if its not.

Im sending my Beretta off to Wilson Combat for some work. I was planning on using UPS and overnight it, however when I walked into the UPS store today, they said they couldnt ship it because they dont have the proper license to ship guns. Nothing on the UPS website says stores need one so maybe its a NJ law requirement? In any case, does anyone know a UPS/Fedex place near Jersey City area that will ship handguns?

I know an FFL can USPS it for me but if I go this route, will I have to go thru a background check when the gun comes back? My dad in MA sent his in this way and the FFL had to do a background check before they could give him his own gun back. Is this the case here? I dont have any pistol permits so I dont want to get stuck doing it this way.

Thanks

If you use an FFL to send it to a Gunsmith you don't have to go to a background check to get it back, you only go to a background check if you put your handgun on consignment and try to get it back. When you put it on consignment it goes to the FFL book as an acquisition.

If asked, you are shipping a multi-hole punching machine.

Sent from an undisclosed location

Mine are multi-punch, single hole machines. :-)

You must use a UPS hub to send it. Perfectly legal and within their policy. If asked, you are shipping a multi-hole punching machine.

Sent from an undisclosed location

Correct answer.

I have done it many times, cost is almost a wash as sending USPS via an FFL. They will ship it back to you directly. Like stated, you have to go to an official UPS Customer Center, not a UPS Store. I have told them it was a firearm, and they didn't have a problem with it. Saves you the headache if it gets lost in transit. The closest to you is in Newark or Secaucus.

Do not use FedEx, and definitely do not bring your gun to a post office.

Thanks for the response everyone. I'll head to the customer center and ship it. I was hesitant to lie about the contents because by UPS regulations I'm supposed to notify them if it's a firearm. If for whatever reason it got lost, the claim would certainly be denied.

Thanks for the response everyone. I'll head to the customer center and ship it. I was hesitant to lie about the contents because by UPS regulations I'm supposed to notify them if it's a firearm. If for whatever reason it got lost, the claim would certainly be denied.

Just be ready for some sticker shock :blackeye:

UPS and Fedex require you to tell them it's a firearm and it has to be next day or two day. The requirements are in the website. FedEx only has companies stores and for ups it cannot be one of the franchised non-corporate stores. I've done it dozens of times and it's never been an issue.

• Like 1