El_Mal90

Private Sale of Rifle - In State

I just wanted to check my logic on the sale of a rifle to an in state resident, as it is my first time selling. I read evrything I could find on the State Police's website, and I came up with the following: Verify FID and Photo ID information and filling out a certificate of eligibility (make a copy for the buyer and I keep the original).

Just seems weird to me that nothing has to be sent in to the State Police. Also, I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere, I did a search and couldn't really find anything.Thank you in advance for any help/information that can be provided.

I just wanted to check my logic on the sale of a rifle to an in state resident, as it is my first time selling. I read evrything I could find on the State Police's website, and I came up with the following: Verify FID and Photo ID information and filling out a certificate of eligibility (make a copy for the buyer and I keep the original).

Just seems weird to me that nothing has to be sent in to the State Police. Also, I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere, I did a search and couldn't really find anything.Thank you in advance for any help/information that can be provided.

No, nothing has to be sent to the state police *for rifles*. The buyer can voluntarily report ownership to their local police department, but otherwise the only paperwork that HAS to be done is a C.O.E. which you know about. Keep your copy as the seller so that if something happens and they track the firearm down via Serial #, you have proof that you are no longer the owner of the rifle; otherwise, you could be on the hook if, say, it was found at the scene of a murder.

I Keep originals and also have two sets of copies at two different locations in NJ in the event of the destruction/theft of the originals.

In NJ, every sale of any firearm requires a background check.  When doing a private sale of a rifle, the FID card is the proof that the buyer was background checked.

buyer must have FID, matching DL, and you fill out the COE.   Nothing goes to the NJSP - but nothing goes to the NJSP when you buy a long gun from a dealer either.  When the dealer does the unnecessary and redundant NICS check at purchase, they tell NICS that the background check is for a long gun.  No model, no serial, and NICS doesn't know if you bought 1 or 100 rifles at the same time.

In NJ, every sale of any firearm requires a background check. When doing a private sale of a rifle, the FID card is the proof that the buyer was background checked.

I don't consider it a BGC if the purchaser acquired a FPID 48 years ago.

Sent from an undisclosed location

• Like 1

Lots of questions on private party sales by people with low post counts.  Maybe I'm a bit sensitive but it seems odd.  Michael?

Vs someone with a lot of posts and has been around here for a while? I dont get the concerns about some simple inquerys by newbs. Everyone finds something out for the first time somewhere, why not a gun forum?

Vs someone with a lot of posts and has been around here for a while? I dont get the concerns about some simple inquerys by newbs. Everyone finds something out for the first time somewhere, why not a gun forum?

It seems off to me that there are a couple different folks in a couple of different forums asking about long gun and handgun p2p sales.  That's all, I didn't say don't give the information, there is nothing to hide but let's see how they progress.

I have a low count of posts, I'm more of a reader and searcher than someone to post about "pork roll".  All the newbie questions with replies are what people read and if there are a few threads with the same answers then you know your heading in the right direction. 

But people should search before asking

• Like 1

If you look at the totality of the message and the language used - for example - "Just seems weird to me that nothing has to be sent in to the State Police"

Anyone who has even a modicum or even beginning of experience with firearms 'knows' the process to a degree.  Hence the strange form of the question.

Then when queried in say post # 5 - silence.

Also as stated two questions by two differing low posters about rifles and pistols - within a few hours of one another - what are the statistical odds of that???

Private handgun sale (in-state)

in General Firearms Discussion

Started by JackOTrades, Yesterday, 11:34 AM

Private Sale of Rifle - In State in Current Gun Law Discussion

Started by El_Mal90, Yesterday, 02:30 PM

Seems very odd, especially as we move into a new year in NJ as well as elections coming up

I can see the logic here. We as gun enthusiasts (especially in NJ) should be elated that it doesn't get sent to the NJSP, we shouldn't think it's weird. I initially thought you were off base, but I see how you reached the conclusion for sure.

I have a low count of posts, I'm more of a reader and searcher than someone to post about "pork roll". All the newbie questions with replies are what people read and if there are a few threads with the same answers then you know your heading in the right direction.

But people should search before asking

It's Taylor ham

this signature exceeds the 15 character capacity count

Well, sorry the wording was weird, just didn't quite know how to word it. Thanks for all of the great information. I just thought it was strange because this is NJ and everything is pretty strict, mostly because of the background check. I was looking for information from people with more experience than me. Also, I'm more of a reader than poster.

Sorry for pissing everyone off.

37507458.jpg

Well, sorry the wording was weird, just didn't quite know how to word it. Thanks for all of the great information. I just thought it was strange because this is NJ and everything is pretty strict, mostly because of the background check. I was looking for information from people with more experience than me. Also, I'm more of a reader than poster.

Sorry for pissing everyone off.

They'll get over it.  :xD: